Disease

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spotted Owl

Spotted Owl

ArboristSite Guru
Two questions for any that can help.

1st. Are there any problems/diseases strictly dealing with white wood? We have a job running off and on and the owners now want us to cull the white wood. Look for specific signs or any thing like that. This kinda got my curiosity up and thought it might be good to know, if not now in the future it may come in handy.

2nd. Where can a guy look to get more info on white-speck?

I'm sure there is a place or two to look for both of these things but I haven't been able to find it.

Thanks for any ideas or places to look.

Owl

madhatte

madhatte

It's The Water
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Here's a good place to start. Thing about P. pini (or Fomes pini, as it was earlier known, or Pora pini, as it was known before that) is that it's not a tree-killer. Older trees often have extensive heart rot but no visible conks or other damage. A lush green crown often conceals tons of rot. Our defecting rules for this disease are scaled to the age of the tree; young trees, conks don't indicate much. Middle aged trees, conks indicate little damage. Older trees, conks indicate broad damage. These are all wild estimates, of course, and mileage will vary from tree to tree.

As for "white wood", I suspect that you are soeaking of sapwood rather than heartwood, particularly as regards Douglas-Fir. Yes, several diseases affect the sapwood. The Laminated Root Rot can affect either heartwood or sapwood, but seldom both, and the Shoestring Rot (Armillaria ostoyae) can as well. Several Fomitopsis species will invade heartwood on live trees, but will only affect sapwood on dead trees. Blue Stain is introduced via beetle mandibles in streessed or recently-dead trees, And there are plenty of foliar diseases that can cause pitch-out on large branches which mimic other diseases and confound identification.

I hope this is at least a little bit helpful. If you ask more specific questions, I'll be able to offer more concise answers.

Latest posts