Diseased pecan tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmk33

Reaction score
View attachment 228459View attachment 228460View attachment 228461

This is the tree is my backyard. When I bought the house I was told it is a pecan tree. A few months later there were many nuts on the ground, but when we opened them the inside was strange--sort of like jelly, or a half-formed pecan with a jelly consistency. I also noticed that the tree has what appear to be wholes in several places on the bark. At first I thought maybe these were woodpecker holes, but then I noticed that appear in a kind of regular pattern in several places. Bottom line: has anyone faced a similar problem with a tree? If this is a disease is there a way to reverse it? Any thoughts that anyone has would be welcome!

The patterned holes are from a sapsucker and are not an issue.

The lack of nut production is likely due to either poor soil fertility or poor weather in that particular growing season, or too much or little water, or possibly a combination of all. If you're wanting to get the tree consistently producing pecans, have a soil test done, and amend/fertilize to meet the best management practices for pecan growing.

Also, be prepared to irrigate the tree in dry times to maintain nut production.

There's a section called "Plant Health" a bit further down in the forums that you may want to post in also.

Latest posts

Back