Disparaging Remarks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tio

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I sometimes read or hear comments like:

“Oh. . . I had a lawn-care business when I was ten years old.”

Or

“You seem too smart to be cutting down trees for a living.”

Let's get a couple of things perfectly clear here, folks.

Point number one:

When you were ten years old, you mowed a few lawns for money to go to the movies.

Simple as that.

No licenses.

No insurance.

No certifications on pesticides or herbicides.

You cut grass for soda money.

I mow approximately 40 acres of lawn area a week.

I don't do that with a 21” lawn-boy mulching mower.

Point number two:

As for being too smart to “cut down trees for a living,” you can trust me on this; if you are stupid, you will not be in this business for very long.

I don't “cut down trees” for a living.

Cutting them down is a small portion of my income.

I call that fire-wood.

I, and others like me (no matter the rough exteriors), surgically remove dangerous trees with all of the precision that a skilled heart surgeon would use to replace a faulty heart valve in your precious little ticker.

That's 'bout all I gotta say 'bout that.

Tio said:
“You seem too smart to be cutting down trees for a living.”
Heard almost the exact same words from my sister in law. Any retard can climb trees, sometimes over 150', sometimes around powerlines, what am I doing outside in the the place where tourists come from all over the world to see? Why am I outside when I could be in an office? Why am I away from the public, whining snivellers or dreadfull drivers that many of them are? Why? Wish I was downtown in an office, its friday, yay, drive through the traffic to get home, back on monday, awesome.

Very common misconceptions in lawncare and tree services. Maybe cause we make it look so easy sometimes.

The, how do I put this nice, uninsured trash redneck hacks out there working for beer and gas money with their "wildthing" wally world chainsaws or better yet craftsman worshipin "treemejaculator" are the ones representin in the wrong direction.

When friends and/or co-workers start getting down about others behavior to me, I tell them imagine the person in question as having a mental disability that you can do nothing for, pretend you are dealing with a retarded person. In other words they are not on your wave so why hate?

All I can say is be a pro. If they can't respect they're affirming their intellect.

great thread topic.

i love when they look at you like you're some low peon, then you mention something like... the cost of your stumpgrinder ....and they realize it costs more than their own car. it also adds a nice touch when i drive up in my brand new Lexus to collect the $$$ after the job's done.

but nothing's better than when you collect the $1000 check for 5 hours of work. if you look close enough you can actually see the customer figure out your hourly rate you just made, while comparing it to their own job's hourly rate. THAT'S when they realize you make 15 times more per hour than they do.

frashdog said:
The, how do I put this nice, uninsured trash redneck hacks out there working for beer and gas money with their "wildthing" wally world chainsaws or better yet craftsman worshipin "treemejaculator" are the ones representin in the wrong direction. .

believe me, i ain't mis-representin anything.

I've heard a few comments like that.

Fortunately, it was an opposite comment that snatched me back into the industry.

Remember last year, when I was going to quit landscaping and trees, and the only work I could find to get moved to Medford / Jacksonville was selling cars?

One of the salesmen told a customer (wife of a doctor) buying a Cadillac / Buick, that I was new at the dealership, and that I was a Certified Arborist.

The lady's first words were "why are you still working here?'.

And I repeated that same phrase to myself for a week or two. Three weeks later, I was back in business again.

i love when they look at you like you're some low peon, then you mention something like... the cost of your stumpgrinder ....and they realize it costs more than their own car. it also adds a nice touch when i drive up in my brand new Lexus to collect the $$$ after the job's done.
do you also like it when people reading your posts think you're a peon too? You have a stump grinder? I figured you'd hire some $20 a day workers from the home depot lot and give them some axes. Hey why don't you show us some pics? Like your stumpgrinder and lexus for starts. Ok throw a few of your mighty crapsman saw collection in there too.

believe me, i ain't mis-representin anything.
oh I believe you in a special olympics kinda way

Treeinnovator said:
great thread topic.

but nothing's better than when you collect the $1000 check for 5 hours of work. if you look close enough you can actually see the customer figure out your hourly rate you just made, while comparing it to their own job's hourly rate. THAT'S when they realize you make 15 times more per hour than they do.

$1000 for five hours work? Where you out of? (If you put it in the spot where its supposed to be I wouldnt have to ask.) AND your driving a brand new Lexus and runninga co. on that pay!

I hear Ya!

During my years of owning a Tree Service company, many a jackass has said, "must be nice." If you people only knew the half of it. My work day usually starts at about 7am and usually ends around 4-5pm, then it may be 30-60 min of phone calls,:dizzy: then followed by an hour of driving around doing estimates. An hour of driving may be conservative, any where up to three hours some times. I pay more in fuel bills in a year than most people pay on there cars in a year. THATS NOT COUNTING insurance, employees, maintenance on equipment, SUCH AS, (saws, trucks, chippers stump grinders etc), IT KEEPS GOING, boots, shirts, pants, gloves, safety glasses, helmets, JUST GETTING STARTED, thousands in advertisements, sponsorships, donations, lets not forget all the wonderful payments on the stump grinders, chippers, booms, chip trucks, tractors, etc. I really think that most people think that cutting down a tree is just that cutting it down and it magically disappears. They don't fathom the physical work involved in removing a tree or trimming it. Here's a good example, I have a friend that is laid off during the winter from his concrete job so he works for me, he goes back to work in late may so I have a week or so till a college kid starts in June. A buddy of mine just got laid off and needed a few bucks, so I let him work for me. I kid you not his ass was dragging after about three hours in 60 degree weather.Just from dragging brush from two poplar trees. He looked at me a few times while dragging the brush as if I was nuts for doing this every day. So I say to him, ya still think I lay on the couch all day and watch soaps. Some people do respect us, and treat us as professionals, but I think many may not. I tell some customers that my price may not be the cheapest, but what your getting for your dollar is the an experienced professional with the equipment and know how to get the job done right the first time, and insurance to back all that up. Still after all that to call it my own, well ya just can't beat that feeling.

Let's not thrash anyone here. . .please.

I started this thread (perhaps mistakenly) because I needed a little bit of a vent and wanted to see if others had had (hate that, does not seem grammatically correct) the same experience.

Log hog said:
so I let him work for me. I kid you not his ass was dragging after about three hours in 60 degree weather.Just from dragging brush from two poplar trees.

Draggin' brush is a suck-a** job.

I say still... I will work a twenty year old until his d**k is dragging in the dirt, and still be able to have a few beers and whip his a** at darts.

I think part of it is that we are conditioned, that we do it day in and day out. I also think alot of it has to do with the guys attitude. Some just got it and some don't. I don't know about all them dart games, but having a few Crown-n-Cokes works just fine for me.

Let's not thrash anyone here. . .please.

I started this thread (perhaps mistakenly) because I needed a little bit of a vent and wanted to see if others had had (hate that, does not seem grammatically correct) the same experience
I'm sorry, that is for clouding you're thread with off topic trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Log hog
so I let him work for me. I kid you not his ass was dragging after about three hours in 60 degree weather.Just from dragging brush from two poplar trees.

Draggin' brush is a suck-a** job.

I say still... I will work a twenty year old until his d**k is dragging in the dirt, and still be able to have a few beers and whip his a** at darts.
gotta love gettin paid to stay in shape with climbing, brush dragging and log lifting. Can't imagine paying gym memberships or "working out" with weights for hours a day.

Log hog said:
During my years of owning a Tree Service company, many a jackass has said, "must be nice." If you people only knew the half of it. My work day usually starts at about 7am and usually ends around 4-5pm, then it may be 30-60 min of phone calls,:dizzy: then followed by an hour of driving around doing estimates. An hour of driving may be conservative, any where up to three hours some times. I pay more in fuel bills in a year than most people pay on there cars in a year. THATS NOT COUNTING insurance, employees, maintenance on equipment, SUCH AS, (saws, trucks, chippers stump grinders etc), IT KEEPS GOING, boots, shirts, pants, gloves, safety glasses, helmets, JUST GETTING STARTED, thousands in advertisements, sponsorships, donations, lets not forget all the wonderful payments on the stump grinders, chippers, booms, chip trucks, tractors, etc. I really think that most people think that cutting down a tree is just that cutting it down and it magically disappears. They don't fathom the physical work involved in removing a tree or trimming it. Here's a good example, I have a friend that is laid off during the winter from his concrete job so he works for me, he goes back to work in late may so I have a week or so till a college kid starts in June. A buddy of mine just got laid off and needed a few bucks, so I let him work for me. I kid you not his ass was dragging after about three hours in 60 degree weather.Just from dragging brush from two poplar trees. He looked at me a few times while dragging the brush as if I was nuts for doing this every day. So I say to him, ya still think I lay on the couch all day and watch soaps. Some people do respect us, and treat us as professionals, but I think many may not. I tell some customers that my price may not be the cheapest, but what your getting for your dollar is the an experienced professional with the equipment and know how to get the job done right the first time, and insurance to back all that up. Still after all that to call it my own, well ya just can't beat that feeling.
well said log

Log hog said:
A buddy of mine just got laid off and needed a few bucks, so I let him work for me. I kid you not his ass was dragging after about three hours in 60 degree weather.Just from dragging brush from two poplar trees. He looked at me a few times while dragging the brush as if I was nuts for doing this every day..

oh it's definitely tough work, but you have to remember WE do it because we are getting paid good for it. there's no way i'd do the same work for the standard hourly rate groundies get.

one of my groundies recently tried my spikes. we had to take off a big awkward branch. he couldn't get past the 2nd step up and said F this, it's scary. so i went up and did it myself and took the branch down in a few minutes. afterwards i said to him, "would you have done that for $150?". he said "hell ya, even if i had to monkey climb that sucker." i said, "well now you know why i went up there."

BostonBull said:
$1000 for five hours work? Where you out of? (If you put it in the spot where its supposed to be I wouldnt have to ask.) AND your driving a brand new Lexus and runninga co. on that pay!

it's not where you put it as much as how much of it comes in. i run an efficient and high margin operation. i don't waste money. no need for expensive equipment when you can rent the same thing for a day at 1/1000th the price.

Treeinnovator said:
oh it's definitely tough work, but you have to remember WE do it because we are getting paid good for it. there's no way i'd do the same work for the standard hourly rate groundies get.
You're right, I wouldn't climb for the hourly rate YOU pay your groundies. But seriously, if I had gone to college like I originally planned, I would probably be making better money nowdays. But I love tree work-I think that is the only way to explain why I do the job day after day, although on the days when it is 10 below and I'm climbing a beech tree, I have some quick second thoughts about my career choice.:D

On the original topic, It does drive me nuts when the homeowner thinks they could do the job simply because they saw someone climb on tv and it looks easy. Fortunately, this doesn't happen often on removals-the homeowner sees you rope off a major lead over their house, and they suddenly seem to realize it was a good idea to call a pro.

I think that alot of it has to do with the husbands being jealous that they can't preform the task. I try to humor them and say, sure you could of done it easy, if she would have only let you try. HA

Back