Disparaging Remarks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beowulf343 said:
How much does an arborist foreman in Florida make?

- can't say since i never hired a CA.
- climbers will make more. they are considered more valuable.
- people generally don't care about their trees. they look at them as liabilities. i remove trees all the time because they think it will fall on their car or roof.

Treeinnovator said:
yeah but living in the Keys, you are forced to pay those guys well (very high stardard of living + they'll bolt to Miami for work if not paid well).

how do you find business in the Keys anyhow?...there simply ain't that many trees compared to other places.

We have lots and lots of coconut palms and probably 90% of our business is trimming them. Oh, and anyone that would bolt to Miami for anything isn't well! We only go to the mainland when we HAVE to!!!

"When some-one watches you look over a tree, poke around some, tap on it and write a works brief then charge $80 and they say ....
"hey, $80, but it only took you 15 minutes!"
You can confidently respond, "no, it took me a lifetime".

HA! That's a good line; I've used similar words but those are better.

O and btw I give people the whole hour they're paying for, unless they cut it short. About 1/3 of the assessments invlove climbing, for one reason or another. And, I do write the specifications on their time, but don't write the estimate, if one is asked for, until I'm off their clock aqnd it's on a separate paper. Ethics you know, gotta stay independent. :angel:

Just some thoughts:
If a treeman can add c.a. or b.c.m.a. to his name, he can then get customers to pay any price for tree work he is going to do, no matter how outrageous the price? Better not tell anybody-soon everyone will be a c.a.

If that is all an arborist foreman makes in florida, then I feel very sorry for them having to work in tha heat.

I hate to agree with treeinovator, but around here c.a.'s are a dime a dozen while a good climber is hard to find. The company I work for employs three c.a.'s but I make almost twice as much as they do because I climb.

Towns and villages have budgets. Why would they hire a c.a. to do a job when some other treeman can do the same job at half the cost.

beowulf343 said:
around here c.a.'s are a dime a dozen while a good climber is hard to find. The company I work for employs three c.a.'s but I make almost twice as much as they do because I climb.
Those 3 ca's are really missing out--why don't they learn to climb?
Towns and villages have budgets. Why would they hire a c.a. to do a job when some other treeman can do the same job at half the cost.
because a ca has more credibility when it comes to decision making. I know that many ca's may know less about certain tasks than some non-ca's, but the cert is the only objective standard around that they can use.
If that is all an arborist foreman makes in florida, then I feel very sorry for them having to work in tha heat.
Me too. I was stunned that they were making well under $20./hr. O and thanks for reminding me about heat--we'll be near 100 all week. :angry:

If a treeman can add c.a. or b.c.m.a. to his name, he can then get customers to pay any price for tree work he is going to do, no matter how outrageous the price?
Not outrageous, but a good bit higher than a non-ca. Plus, ca's can do more paid consultations and less free estimates. ;)
Better not tell anybody-soon everyone will be a c.a.
That would not be a bad thing at all!:)

Treeseer you must be in a good area or something. In my town the same company always gets hired and they are the worst tree company I have ever seen. They top and hat rack every tree.
There are half a dozen or more tree companies in the area I work in. Hard hats and ear protection is only found at half those companies. You can forget about any of the other safety standards. That is why I made the remark I made.

Climb020 said:
In my town the same company always gets hired and they are the worst tree company I have ever seen. They top and hat rack every tree.

WTF?!

I do take it that you are talking about public trees.

You need to get some footage of them doing this and take it to your local govt wanker and have it checked into. Also take it to the media.

It's simply not on, fancy prescribing or permitting that.:dizzy:

I am gonna go throught town tonight and will take some pics. It is sad, oh so sad the way the trees look. Some where cut so hard that only one branch was left on about a 20" DBH maple. And this company gets the contract year after year for pruning and removals. And some how he gets away with manly illegal workers. Go figure damn small towns.

Here is some of his work. Most of the city trees have already been cut down because they died. After looking at the pictures there is no wonder why.
First three are at as nursing home just off the street. The next is an oak that was topped hard. The last 2 are maples. The first was cut on the back side and is now on its way out. The last pic I wasn't gonna use because of the electric lines. I found many other trees that looked like this but didn't want to get into a debate of line clearance. Just a bit much.'
All pruning was done in the past 2 years.

http://climber020nj.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album05

Last edited:
Back