Disposing of pine trunks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lrunner

Reaction score
Trees are down, stumps are ground, we don't burn pine around here so what do I do with the trunks? They are approx 10 inch in diameter.

Thanks!

why is everyone scared to burn pine, burned it for years.........

as for disposal, list the on craigslist for free, someone will take them.

Trees are down, stumps are ground, we don't burn pine around here so what do I do with the trunks? They are approx 10 inch in diameter.

Thanks!

Today there is no such thing as "junk wood" due to oil prices.
even pine,a once considered trash wood(where most burn hardwood) will be someones treasure.
simply put up a sign "free softwood for firewood.you haul."
it shouldn't take long before it's gone,considering the size wood you have.
If you have 20 or so,or more, 10" logs,and they are at least 8-10' long still,you could check around and see if there is a small outfit locally who might come and take them to a mill.

Run them through the chipper and then dispose the chips. Will your landfill take logs?
given that we are in the "homeowner helper" section of the forums,it's not likely the OP,has an industrial 10/12" chipper.perhaps not even a pickup truck to take them to the local landfill (as to why he/she is asking on what to do with them.)
It would most likely be cheaper and safer to pay someone to haul them off than to rent large dangerous equipment such a chipper where they may not have the know how,safety training to operate even if they do have a truck.

why is everyone scared to burn pine, burned it for years.........
because it creates lot's of creosote and increases the risk of chimney fires if burned by itself.
best if used primarily as kindling wood.

Last edited:

Thanks!

You have some pine. You need to get rid of it. All it needs is to be cut up and dried. Why _not_ burn it? It is wood. Don't buy into those old wives tales about creasote, etc. Makes fine firewood if tht is all that is available (in many areas).

Unless you can give it away, using it for firewood will be the cheapest and least labor intensive way of 'getting rid of it". It will also save your 'good wood' - use it for those cool times when you want a quick fire that won't last too long.

The "we don't burn pine" smacks of 'wood snob'.

Harry K

10" pine is excellent for landscaping uses--bordering paths and trails, erosion control on slopes, bordering natural areas around trees to build up the soil, etc. Yes it is biodegradable so it does not work in formal gardens, but most landscapes are improved by smart placement of these sticks.

Teepees are cool, too! :blob2:

so does green wood, let the pine dry out and keep the pipe clean and it's fine.....

True.Actually burning green hardwood can be worse.
Agree.Season it,mix it with hardwood if possible,and keep the chimney cleaned regularly and it does just fine.I burn quite a bit of it myself as well.
The problem is,allot of people burn it green and don't sweep the chimney out.A fire hazard for sure.Folks like us who know these things should never encounter a chimney fire.Folks who don't know better or can afford plenty of hardwood probably just shouldn't burn it.
I simply can't dump it in the landfill.I feel to bad about wasting it.The clientele i generally work for,don't want it, as hardwood is readily available around here.I have quite a list of folks where I often drop it for free.They often burn it as their sole heat source.
Anything for heat is better than nothing."sure beats burning snowballs" as my dad says lol.

because it creates lot's of creosote and increases the risk of chimney fires if burned by itself.

Hogwash. Old wive's tale. Pine is the most burned wood in North America.

so does green wood, let the pine dry out and keep the pipe clean and it's fine.....

Yep.

Pine will burn fine if dried out. I burned it a whole winter a few years back. Never had a creasote problem but it was really dried out. Now it don't last long and you have to load the stove more. It's free heat though.

Double yep.

If you were close to me, I would be happy to dispose of the firewood for you, right into my woodpile for next year. I burn anything seasoned that I can get my hands on.

I had a pile of pine, cottonwood, willow and some other junk trees and a ran a free wood add on Craigs List. The pile disappeared in a couple of weeks and now if I dump junk trees they'll be gone in a few days. Some for campers. Most for outside wood burners. CL has been a great help in getting rid of anything I don't want.
Phil

Latest posts

Back