dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just looking around and I see TSC up here has the 38cc selling for $110.

those saws aren't worth $110 especially the 38cc model. i got my last one for the good price of $30 from a buddy in the states and i will get a 45cc one for $50 plus shipping. i hope anyways.

OK,
I'm sure that this has been covered but I can't search anything so I apologize for the repetition:

How do you get the muffler apart on a 4518 Quaker??

Thanks,

OK,
I'm sure that this has been covered but I can't search anything so I apologize for the repetition:

Thanks,

I'm heading out into the garage to finish up my Muffler Mod now. When I get back in I'll post the whole thing with pictures. But I used a small tipped torch to open up the joints, and pull apart the brazed area.

OK,

Thanks,

With a stepped variable drill bit and drill set to a low speed, gloves, and safety glasses.

(Trying to be funny)

I like it! I thought of firing up the plasma cutter but thought I'd ask what others did first....

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Anyone here have both the smallest earthquake and the 45cc?

I am curious if there is any benefit at all to the smaller saw as kind of a limbing or small work saw over the 45cc since they are so close in weight anyway.

I like it! I thought of firing up the plasma cutter but thought I'd ask what others did first....

I just took a sanding disc to the outside of the seal and gently preyed it apart leaving as much of the flange as I could so there would be a bit of meat when I welded it back up. This matl sucks for me as I am a structural welder and typically deal with 1/4" to 4" material, not the jewlry these mufflers are made of...LOL

Its going to be fun I'm sure but I'm cheating. I have a good tig guy at work and he said he'd weld it back for me!

I just got my 4518 yesterday. $48.40 shipped. I am quite pleased. A very small amount of sawdust on it, and a chain that had been used - but barely. New Oregon bar, never mounted. And a scrench. Compression cold was 150. I was pleased to see that the 45 came with a rim instead of the spur sprocket on the 38. Otherwise, the features were the same ( I think the 38 had an adjustable oiler - the 45 does). The 45 is a bit bigger than the 38, but not annoyingly so.

Last edited:
I just came into some "bonus" money, wife asked if I want Cobra fuzz that I been needing or another Quaker, hmmmmmmm..... Damned Quaker is cheaper too! By $25 or so bucks, heck I should negotiate the 2nd Quaker and the new "good" chain and the fuzz buster can wait.. LOL

My 4518 was waiting for me when I got home. It had been gassed at some point, no bar oil in it. It came with unused bar and chain, a manual that is far better and more detailed than the last several Husky saws I bought. Had the scrench and bar cover in the box with a yellow plastic shipping spacer on the bar studs.

Fueled it, pulled it twice and it snorted. Off with the choke and away we went it runs well and obviously tuned to be pig rich. This thing's carbon footprint out of the box makes Al Gore curl up in the corner in a rage of angst and no doubt the EPA has a chip on it's shoulder for it.

Best $48.40 I spent in all my years, what a deal. It's actually surprisingly well made, rim sprocket and it puts out bar oil like a beast. I dialed the oiler down about halfway and we'll see how that setting does in the wood. Muffler mods and tuning to follow, I hope I can get a couple more for the same price!
Quake8_zpsfb614cdb.jpg

Thank that Kentucky gnome, God bless him for starting this thread!
You have no idea. There's a couple families on the mountain near me that are in pretty dire straights and desperately need a chainsaw. I'm gonna get three more of these for Christmas presents.

Well I just finished up the muffler mod on my first quake (well almost finished). I used a small tipped torch to heat up the metal and pry away the flange to remove the top cover.
2013-11-20 15.17.43.jpg
That is why a muffler mod opens these up so much. The exhaust gases go through 2 dampers, the "catalytic converter" looking thing, and finally exit out of the tiny tube.
2013-11-20 15.18.50.jpg

This is everything I removed
2013-11-20 17.12.54.jpg

And here it is all back together again. I just need to braze it back together at work, and figure out a new spark screen and how to hold it. With a nice new coat of paint it should look good, and perform MUCH better.
2013-11-20 17.50.58.jpg

Thanks for those pics of the 45cc series muffler, now I know what awaits me inside there and that little cat unit really needs to go. The heat that muffler was making on mine when I ran it earlier was pretty noticeable on account of that.

I took my little Quakenstein out today for a bit of work. It is the 38 cc version I modded earlier in this thread, now featured on my avatar.

It sputtered on the second pull and I was just quick enough on the choke to let it start. Darn little thing starts like a high-dollar saw. Away I went on some 20" - 24" logs stacked up after the timber was harvested. I went through the first tank of fuel and stopped to split and load the wood. Almost half of the bed of my truck was full at that point. I fueled up and it started first pull. Right back to work and never missed a beat. I finished the second tank, finished filling the bed and headed home. There happened to be a tree blown down across the county road on the way back, which I stopped and cut up to get it out of the way.

When I got in this afternoon I read through the new posts on this thread. Someone talked about $48.40 shipped using a coupon code for the 45cc model. Dang it! Before I knew what was going on I was typing in my address and shelling out $48.40 for another one. I told myself I needed it to fully evaluate the 45 cc saw.

This thread needs to go away.

dd

Back