dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyway, noticed a movable winter/summer carb slide, I think..

Picture521_zps861d42bd.jpg

I'm thinking of drilling a huge hole there in the center of that and placing a exhaust screen covering the hole :msp_wink:

Just trying different things :msp_wink:

Dang CAD! I put bids in on 2 more of them on ebay. I just bid the minimum, figured if someone really wanted them they could get 'em easy enough by upping the bid a couple of bucks. Nope. Now I have two more on the way to my house at the staggering price of $32 and change each. The previous purchases have all arrived with bars, chains, and screnches. Each saw has been used very, very little and compression on each one was 150+.

Does this make me a Quaker? :msp_w00t:

I wonder what pistons and alternative top ends could be bolted on? I know with the fleet of Echo trimmers I maintain for the local landscapers I can just go to my storage hut and pull out anything I need, sometimes mixing and matching parts that never intended to work together. Have to see if I have a picture of the popup I cut on a trimmer over the summer...by some strange miracle it is still running, even sporting one new and one used piston ring!

In fairness I should mention the first try at this madness ran for a total of three throttle blips before catching a ring and self destructing!

Last edited:
I wonder what pistons and alternative top ends could be bolted on? I know with the fleet of Echo trimmers I maintain for the local landscapers I can just go to my storage hut and pull out anything I need, sometimes mixing and matching parts that never intended to work together. Have to see if I have a picture of the popup I cut on a trimmer over the summer...by some strange miracle it is still running, even sporting one new and one used piston ring!

In fairness I should mention the first try at this madness ran for a total of three throttle blips before catching a ring and self destructing!

You never know to you try different things :msp_wink:

I finished up the muffler mod on my first one, as well as a mild porting job. I took out the base gasket while I had it apart and got it all back together earlier today. I put it in some red oak this afternoon but was a little limited by the safety chain. The saw really woke up with those mods, which are pretty minor really. I know it's only a 38 cc saw, but it is very impressive for its size. This will make a great limbing and loaner saw. :cool2:

Me thinks someone told him about how people were happy with the saw and the good feedback in this thread and now he is gouging us on this fine saw.:hmm3grin2orange:
Nick.

You are spot on...well he can only charge what the market will bear...so quit buying until they hit 40....actually 35 works well too!!!!

My 38cc made by the same company, just with a different colour scheme and brand-name also has the carb vent window, the only way I've been able to change it around was when I took the top cover off, that's when you can take it off and turn it around. I couldn't find any info about it on the manual, but it's functionality is very clear.

I assume you could pop it out if you remove the air filter cover and push it out with a screwdriver, assuming you've got access on yours (it seems the plastic finish on these isn't quite equal on each saw... So they're unique, art?)

As for oil leaks, they have an oil filter right at the oil pickup line by the tank, underneath... and this is where they often leak, also there's no vacuum release valve for the oil tank but there is an open hose for it, I had to zip-tie it into place so it wouldn't fall out and start leaking during horizontal cuts.

The way the oil pickup and filter fit into place makes it very prone to leaks, in fact with the vibrations the cup popped out on mine and it took an angry oily piss all over the place.

Nothing some silicone and heat-shrink tubing couldn't fix though, it just meant having to take it all apart.

Here's a pic of the silicone after being applied, I levelled it out afterwards. Not the prettiest, but it hasn't leaked ever since (aside from a few drops from the bar, which is common)

chinksawf26.jpg

Mine came with a worn out worm drive from the oiler and the aforementioned vacuum line from the oil tank was popped off and capped with a screw (?) -- Didn't take much to bring it back to life. Came with a real Walbro carb also!

For the money, can't complain at all... in fact it keeps impressing me. It has however crapped out a few times after heavy-ish use -- wouldn't start again until cold... loss of compression due to the expansion I guess? the rings don't seem stuck though...

Back