dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tumblr_lz2ezoMAac1r3ty02o1_r1_500.gif

Guess I'll have to add a x2 to the siggy line....

:msp_thumbsup:

After reading the Earthquake thread last Friday, I threw in a bid on eBay for $25. I won the auction for $22 and with $14 shipping, here it is. It runs and the piston looks shiny and new. There's plenty of meat around the exhaust port for widening. The muffler is so choked down you could probably run this thing in church and nobody would know.

IMG_6346_zpsbc71524c.jpg

IMG_6343_zps9aef2be3.jpg

you wore me down

I can't believe this thread is over 32 pages of on and on. Well it worked I bought one, and have no idea why. Maybe more money than sense. I only have 30 to 40 saws. Now I have an eartquake. I will experiment on. I bought a foredom grinder for Christmas with snow on the ground sounds like a plan.

You open up this saw's and they will surprise ya

Granted there not powerful but for what they are there great little saw's :D

I can't believe this thread is over 32 pages of on and on. Well it worked I bought one, and have no idea why. Maybe more money than sense. I only have 30 to 40 saws. Now I have an eartquake. I will experiment on. I bought a foredom grinder for Christmas with snow on the ground sounds like a plan.

That's an awesome idea. If there was ever a platform for learning how to do some engine mods, this is it. Well, with the caveat that once someone puts a grinder to the cylinder, we'll have to see how the metal is. If there are big inclusions, then maybe opening up the ports might not be such a good idea if chunks of slag are tearing out.

That's an awesome idea. If there was ever a platform for learning how to do some engine mods, this is it. Well, with the caveat that once someone puts a grinder to the cylinder, we'll have to see how the metal is. If there are big inclusions, then maybe opening up the ports might not be such a good idea if chunks of slag are tearing out.

It's been posted here that two of them have been cleaned up (ports); mine didn't flake at all when cleaning them up

I opened the exhaust significantly and the intake moderately. No inclusions found. The castings aren't the best I've seen, but they're not too bad either. I have two more on the way. Worst case scenario I can get my money back out of them very easily.

I was suspicious of the carb because it was a knock off of a Walbro, but I can't complain about it. It seems to be a pretty good copy and adjusted out well to the increased need for fuel after the port work. I would really like to get my hands on a few of the 45 cc models.

dd

when i get mine i will run it before and after porting to see how much of a gain i can get,, i tracked mine and it will be here weds,,, i might go bid on another one just for sh*** and giggles

:bang::bang::bang::bang: blasted bid buttons,,, dang thing clicked itself when i was looking at it contemplating on getting another one :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I have like $70 in my pay pal account, I can transfer it to my other account and but a half tank of gas for my truck or go Quaking for a couple more of these things....Hmmmm

Well, I ordered one. I've become very attached to my strato McCulloch MS4018 (a RedMax GZ4000 clone) for the light weight, reduced fuel use and reduced exhaust fumes, and many of the parts on this thing will swap. The clutch and drive sprockets for the Mac are not cheap, the bar and chain will fit many of my saws, and I've wanted a spike because the saw is so light. For $40 I don't even care much if it runs, the parts alone are worth it

Well, I ordered one. I've become very attached to my strato McCulloch MS4018 (a RedMax GZ4000 clone) for the light weight, reduced fuel use and reduced exhaust fumes, and many of the parts on this thing will swap. The clutch and drive sprockets for the Mac are not cheap, the bar and chain will fit many of my saws, and I've wanted a spike because the saw is so light. For $40 I don't even care much if it runs, the parts alone are worth it

Just a little FYI...both of my 38cc'ers have the most putrid exhaust stench out of any of my saws...my huskys smell the best for some reason? Same fuel.

Believe it was mentioned before, but mine smokes when its cold...

When I first got it, that glue they use to put the heat shield on under the muffler was smelling and smoking, but now its just the exhaust.

Other saws don't do this using the same fuel... :msp_confused:

Do these have a cat muffler?

When I first got it, that glue they use to put the heat shield on under the muffler was smelling and smoking, but now its just the exhaust.

Yeah....super sloppy heat shield install...like a 2 year old and a hot glue gun!

I think so (cat)...if not then it is just extremely closed off... I have only opened my exhaust port and removed a restrictive piece...but it sounds like you are or were running rich and need to burn off some excess oil in that muffler.

I'll keep it together as a running saw (assuming it does run) until I need parts from it. I already have a spare drive sprocket & clutch so it may live for a while. I may even port it because the jug won't swap and I already have another good non-strato 40cc saw (Husky 142). Parts like the recoil and clutch cover are what I'm looking for - these could be quite expensive for my Mac.

When I opened the muffler on mine I found not only was it VERY restricted, it had a rectangular "box" of metal mesh, sort of like the scouring pad my wife uses in the kitchen. It was very tightly packed and the exhaust is forced to go through it on its way to exit the muffler. I've never seen anything similar on other exhausts, but it was very quiet until I did the muffler mod and bypassed / removed all that restrictive stuff.

When I opened the muffler on mine I found not only was it VERY restricted, it had a rectangular "box" of metal mesh, sort of like the scouring pad my wife uses in the kitchen. It was very tightly packed and the exhaust is forced to go through it on its way to exit the muffler. I've never seen anything similar on other exhausts, but it was very quiet until I did the muffler mod and bypassed / removed all that restrictive stuff.

that was the cat DD

Latest posts

Back