dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:bang::bang::bang: dang finger got the twitch again,,, ok,, i did hit the button for another one,, so now i have 2 ending in 2 days,, and 2 on the way,,, i feel so dirty,, i need to go pray to the chainsaw gods,,, i feel so unclean and need forgiveness,,PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!!!!!!

they are not junk saws at all,, the one i built,, the reason for this thread,, was in new condition,, i didn't look like it was ever run,, by the time i got done doing the mods it was a good runner

+1

I haven't had a bad one yet. The lowest compression reading out of the box was 150 psi, and I have a 45 cc model with almost 200 psi. I just need time to run them and see how they hold up. Just a muff mod and a good chain does wonders.

:bang::bang::bang: dang finger got the twitch again,,, ok,, i did hit the button for another one,, so now i have 2 ending in 2 days,, and 2 on the way,,, i feel so dirty,, i need to go pray to the chainsaw gods,,, i feel so unclean and need forgiveness,,PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!!!!!!

Say three hail mary's and take a shower, soldier!

he would probably sell more of them if he had a buy it now price of $75:confused: shipping included
after all everybody knows that you can't buy a new running chainsaw for $35 delivered to your door,
those have got to be junk clapped out parts saws that only a bunch of saw freaks would have any interest in.:msp_scared:
The only reason we're getting these saws at these prices is because someone's already taken a loss on them. They were not offered at this price to begin with, and as I said before there is no way even the Chinese can make a chainsaw and ship it across the world and make a profit at $35. This is a one time deal because something went wrong somewhere, who knows what happened. And it won't last.

OTOH, you may be right about the $75 thing - too many people confuse high price with value, the low end Stihls being a prime example. These are RedMax G3800 designs, which are really one of the best small saw designs out there. They're obsolete now due to the lack of strato engines, but then so are the little Stihls and various other saws. The Chinese should be able to sell a ton of these in other markets that don't have US emissions requirements, and without the restrictive cat mufflers either. They'll be very competitive.

that makes them junk so send them to me and i will dispose of the properly

Sure. Just PM your addy and $95 each, which will include shipping, packaging in the original box, a bar, chain, scrench and possibly a bottle of 2 stroke oil...... :D

Plus, if your spend more that $75 on a saw you won't get that "dirty" feeling you get at lower prices.

Just wondering.

I was wondering what would make Sears back out on a batch of these. If you read the reviews on the saw, they seem to hardly run out of the box. Have all these needed carb adjustment to make them run? All the reviews that claimed they knew how to adjust a carb were very happy. Those who expected a runner out of the box were either very unhappy, or returned the saw.

My conclusion: $99-$179 that needs set up for $35-$40 is crazy cheap.

Edit: Aw heck. Got a pair coming. If I keep both, should be able to scavenge parts to keep at least one going for a good long time.

I was wondering what would make Sears back out on a batch of these. If you read the reviews on the saw, they seem to hardly run out of the box. Have all these needed carb adjustment to make them run? All the reviews that claimed they knew how to adjust a carb were very happy. Those who expected a runner out of the box were either very unhappy, or returned the saw.

My conclusion: $99-$179 that needs set up for $35-$40 is crazy cheap.

Edit: Aw heck. Got a pair coming. If I keep both, should be able to scavenge parts to keep at least one going for a good long time.

the one i did on here all it needed was the carb leaned out a bit,, well plus a MM,, the one that gets here weds i will post a before and after vid of it,, it is 38cc
now a FYI for everyone,, sellingitasis is listing a bunch more weds,, and no i don't know him or am i getting a kick back from him,,, price i couldn't tell you but i just might have to get a couple of more

I was wondering what would make Sears back out on a batch of these.

Not just Sears. Seen them at Menards's, Cabela's (yes, Cabela's - wrote them a note about that), and other stores as well. Might just have not moved fast enough.

Some of these stores only place them on their shelves if the importer agrees to take back any returns or unsold stock for full credit. Some do not pay until the item is sold at retail. Then there are returns processing companies that accept things, especially mail order returns, and auction them off 'as-is' by the container to re-sellers who place them on CL or eBay, etc. - almost like "Storage Wars". Big retail is a different world than the Mom and Pop stores.

"Factory Reconditioned" I understand also means retuned goods that were not necessarily defective. Could be torn packaging or scrapes. Could be a customer who buys/uses/returns instead of renting. Not sure how much of a look over or actual testing gets done. Might vary by the manufacturer.

Since Earthquake is not manufactured here, they would have to set up a whole system to 'Factory Recondition' their returns, so dumping them on eBay is probably simpler.

Just how I understand it.

Philbert

Not just Sears. Seen them at Menards's, Cabela's (yes, Cabela's - wrote them a note about that), and other stores as well. Might just have not moved fast enough.

Some of these stores only place them on their shelves if the importer agrees to take back any returns or unsold stock for full credit. Some do not pay until the item is sold at retail. Then there are returns processing companies that accept things, especially mail order returns, and auction them off 'as-is' by the container to re-sellers who place them on CL or eBay, etc. - almost like "Storage Wars". Big retail is a different world than the Mom and Pop stores.

"Factory Reconditioned" I understand also means retuned goods that were not necessarily defective. Could be torn packaging or scrapes. Could be a customer who buys/uses/returns instead of renting. Not sure how much of a look over or actual testing gets done. Might vary by the manufacturer.

Since Earthquake is not manufactured here, they would have to set up a whole system to 'Factory Recondition' their returns, so dumping them on eBay is probably simpler.

Just how I understand it.

Philbert

very very possible

I'm also wondering if they meet the latest emissions regs - maybe they passed their sell-by date? It's non-strato with a cat - I'm not sure if that is cutting it anymore. Husky sold that junk in 2007 when my 142e was made, but they quickly went to strato, and Stihl is finally changing over now.

I'm also wondering if they meet the latest emissions regs - maybe they passed their sell-by date? It's non-strato with a cat - I'm not sure if that is cutting it anymore. Husky sold that junk in 2007 when my 142e was made, but they quickly went to strato, and Stihl is finally changing over now.

it does have a cat muffler

Ok lets start seeing some pics of the work done and some more before and after vids. I can't wait to start seeing them in the scrap yard.

Well, THANKS to o8, I have a 45, 41, and 6 38's sittin' in the shop....:hmm3grin2orange:

The 45 seems to be a little "beefier" than the others - and a little more of a PIA to get the cat out of the muff.

The 41 and the 38's have the same mufflers, so after hacking the first one, the others where a piece of cake...

All have between 140 to 170ish compression. None came with oil, only one came with a file, 2 with the chain in the bag.
The only one that may have been used is the 41.

I'll set the butchers at work loose on 3 of the 38's, and see how they hold up...

Well, THANKS to o8, I have a 45, 41, and 6 38's sittin' in the shop....:hmm3grin2orange:

The 45 seems to be a little "beefier" than the others - and a little more of a PIA to get the cat out of the muff.

The 41 and the 38's have the same mufflers, so after hacking the first one, the others where a piece of cake...

All have between 140 to 170ish compression. None came with oil, only one came with a file, 2 with the chain in the bag.
The only one that may have been used is the 41.

I'll set the butchers at work loose on 3 of the 38's, and see how they hold up...

Can you weigh the 45 and the 38 pho? I talked to the local Redmax dealer who said they were almost the exact same weight.

dd

All know is when the "HUSKYQUAKE" came out to play before Christmas (and before stickers) the neighbors wanted one (so that 3 Quakes) and now with a couple more coming it just makes more play money for me. Each of the ones I've sold they KNOW it's as is I've even told them I would sharping the chain when ever they want they just have to drop of there saw's :D

Latest posts

Back