dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went Menard's yesterday and found a 41cc quake for $20. Couldn't resist buying it. Never been in wood. I'll have to pull the muffler and check the piston. Compression seemed good. Cheaper than the quake I bought a couple of years ago.

no doubt, that's gotta be the record for an on the budget quake buy. you suck! i'd have bought it myself.

It's back, the thread you wish you could ignore. ;)

Any earthquakers have a problem with the fuel tank grommet shrinking? I have two that the gas pours out as fast as I can pour it in. One of them was like that out of the box.

I was looking at the g3800 grommet but in the diagram it looks like it has only one hole. This means no primer bulb. I suppose I could live with that if I had to.

Anyone run in to this?

It's back, the thread you wish you could ignore. ;)

Any earthquakers have a problem with the fuel tank grommet shrinking? I have two that the gas pours out as fast as I can pour it in. One of them was like that out of the box.

I was looking at the g3800 grommet but in the diagram it looks like it has only one hole. This means no primer bulb. I suppose I could live with that if I had to.

Anyone run in to this?
Mine is fine, and it runs on nothing but E10 (only the best for the Quake!)

Still using mine to cut up stumps. Runs like a champ with muffler mod. It leaks all the oil out of the tank when sitting on the shelf, which I believe was posted by another member. No other issues.

I have the same problem. The grommet shrinks when you leave the saw empty. When you fill the saw whith gas it will swell back. I replaced the original with a string trimmer grommet[2 holes].

I had a 42cc quake that I gave to my bil and he said it wouldn't run so I took it apart and the fuel line rotted apart. No surprise there just cheap line. replaced it with good tygon line and back in action. First issue with any of the three I got.

I tuned up a 38cc one for my BIL and then watched him as he topped up his near empty tank with straight gas and insisted in dropping just one more tree.

He got away with it as it did start the next day. Rest assured he will never borrow one of mine!

I have the same problem. The grommet shrinks when you leave the saw empty. When you fill the saw whith gas it will swell back. I replaced the original with a string trimmer grommet[2 holes].

Do you recall what model trimmer the grommet came from?

I have a 45 and a 38. The 38 is by far my absolute favorite to use around the home. It really screams after a base gasket delete, mild port cleanup and a muffler mod. Unfortunately I was running too lean recently and licked up amid full throttle. The 14" bar was nearly fully buried in a pine stump the was cut at ground level at the time. I was trying to cut it in pie shapes so it would rot quicker. The quake was working hard and taking a beating. I blame the lock up on me and not the quake. I haven't tore it down yet to asses the damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What other saws are made by the same people? MTD, Remington etc?
Near as I have been able to tell, these are made by some portion of Zhejiang Zhongji Technology Co.,ltd. Most of their saws are based on 3 sizes of Zenoah designs - G3800, G5000 and G621 - with various changes in displacement, and lots of different colors, branding and plastic cover shapes. Some are EPA certified (modified porting and a cat, like small Echos). I don't know what other models they make, or if there is anyone else making any of those Zenoah clones.

Somebody is making the Husqvarna and Stihl copies too, but again I don't know if it's the factory that makes the Earthquakes.

Somebody in China makes all those box store Homelite/Ryobi saws, but I have no idea who that is or if it's related.

I believe the Remington/MTD are still made by Jenn Feng in Taiwan, who owned the McCulloch name for a time and also built a lot of Zenoah-based saws - although many of those were based on the strato engined GZ4000. Those are quite nice with castings as good as the Zenoah ones.

well its morning,, getting ready to head to the auction,, when i get back going to put this thing back together and stick her in some wood and see what happens,, worst case senerio it will come apart at the seams,, but on the good side it might be a nice saw to run
1 of the things i forgot to add about this saw was that the spark screen is non removable, it is made into the muffler
Oh anything is removable.

Still using mine to cut up stumps. Runs like a champ with muffler mod. It leaks all the oil out of the tank when sitting on the shelf, which I believe was posted by another member. No other issues.
That helps prevent oxidation to the cheep cast aluminum

Back