Disston DA-211 HELP!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullseye13

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So i have my disson together and i am trying to start it for the first time. I primed it with fuel and it would not even pop. I am not new to working on saws, however this one is slightly different. What could i possibly be doing wrong??

Here is what i know:
2 new condensors, clean points, excellent hot spark and new plugs
125PSI compression on both cylinders
exhaust ports not blocked
gas cap vent open, fuel valve open
switch on
throttle lock on

What the heck am i missing??? Ive never had anything that had all 3 major components, spark, compression, and fuel...to yank away and get nothing.

I mixed 87 octane fuel 20:1 with stihl mix(is this not flammable anymore? lol)

Sorry so long winded, im trying to think through this but not having luck.

You said you primed it but where? Was it in the carb throat or in the cylinders? It makes no real difference as it still should have started but I just wonder.

Bill

Bill, i primed it in the cylinder, and as you said, i also didnt think it made a difference, as it should start. Today is a new day, maybe it will decide to crank up. Who knows.

If you are still having trouble getting it to pop check the flywheel for proper timing position. I could not tell you how many saws have come my way with this very simple but often overlooked problem. If timing is off all other operating functions are irrelevant.
Pioneerguy600

What did you set your point gap too?

So i have my disson together and i am trying to start it for the first time. I primed it with fuel and it would not even pop. I am not new to working on saws, however this one is slightly different. What could i possibly be doing wrong??

Here is what i know:
2 new condensors, clean points, excellent hot spark and new plugs
125PSI compression on both cylinders
exhaust ports not blocked
gas cap vent open, fuel valve open
switch on
throttle lock on

What the heck am i missing??? Ive never had anything that had all 3 major components, spark, compression, and fuel...to yank away and get nothing.

I mixed 87 octane fuel 20:1 with stihl mix(is this not flammable anymore? lol)

Sorry so long winded, im trying to think through this but not having luck.

If you are still having trouble getting it to pop check the flywheel for proper timing position. I could not tell you how many saws have come my way with this very simple but often overlooked problem. If timing is off all other operating functions are irrelevant.
Pioneerguy600

Flywheel is keyed. But on some of those old Mercs, you could rotate the "backing" plate and set the timing...actually that era out boards you both mechanically advance the timing while opening the throttle....hard to believe the reeds wouldn't set right. They are little steel flaps that WILL close if there is any compression in that bottom end at all.

Is your plug wet when you pull it out after a pulling temper tantrum?

Which ignition do you have on yours? Scintilla, Bendix, or Phelon? Also which "number" carb do you have? It will have a number like "AJ25" or something like that. You have to set them up right..pay particular attention to the float/needle AND some have a mixture screw that gets all blocked. Make sure you are getting fuel. If when the choke is on & your pulling the motor over and you Don't have fuel about to run out that carb its probably a fuel supply issue, Yours is probably gravity feed so you done have to deal with fuel pumps mounted on the side of that motor.

(I have an old 1950's era Mercury Outboard Service manual should anyone needs setup data on those. Covers all those old green Mercs thru the 1950's untill the "Black" power heads of the 1960's.)

Last edited:
Well i got some good news. I happened to remove the fuel shutoff valve, and the inside passage was plugged and you could not see it. It now starts, but wants to flood out right away. Ive been through the carb twice now. The float is still bouyant, and the numbers on the carb are AJ38A.

Any info on this carb would be appreciated, as tillotsons website no longer covers this type carburetor and i cant seem to snag one off of the net.

I would like to thank you all for your input, i appreciate it. As soon as i get this bugger running i will post some pics and a video of it in action.

Like all float type carbs, the float rises to push the needle valve against a seat. If the float is not soggy then it will rise with the fuel and set the needle against the seat. Needle valve and seat have to be in perfect shape to control the flow of fuel, float level needs to be set at correct level. Most old float type Tillies you invert and set the tang so that the float sets level lined up across the carb casting.
Pioneerguy600

Typically you have to lean those out with the mixture screw when rich. It works. Very simplistic as it effects fuel flow at all RPM's & air flow rates. Remember those motors have their roots in out boards...therefor are designed to run flat out all the time and they comprimize the fueling at all other RPM's somewhat. So you have to tune them under load.

Back