Distressed Maple & Owner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale & Donna

Reaction score
We planted a silver emerald maple 4 years ago in the hopes of having lots of shade on the front of our house which faces west. The first two years the tree did reasonably well. Last year it had moderate growth and this year it has done very little. In the spring it budded and leafed out but now the tree is showing signs of distress. The leaves are still green but are curled and brittle to the touch. The leaves never fully matured and are very small. The small branches snap off easily. There are no signs of insect damage, we have used no chemicals around the tree and the tree gets plenty of water. We are looking for any suggestions as to what might have happened to the tree, what we can do to restore it's health or if we should give up and try again.:confused: :confused:

What you describe sounds like signs of being root bound. If this is the case, it is probably too late to save this tree.
If a tree is purchased in a pot, most likely it will be somewhat root bound. The roots grow out until they hit the side of the pot, then start to circle. Eventually, the roots create a solid wall and get forced back in torward the center. At this point, even if the plant is removed from the pot the roots are still trapped inside. The roots have to be cut free. I usually make 4-5 cuts with my sharpened shovel vertically on the root ball before setting it in the hole.
I may be wrong, but can only guess based on what info you gave. :)

Can the tree be root bound even though it has been in the ground 4 years? I have never heard of this happening. We appreicate your help as we don't know whether to dig the tree up and start over or hire an arborist to try and save it!

If the soil is compacted, then it may not be able to "get out".

It may be planted too deep. Does it look like a post in the ground, or does it have a nice flare like a tree that grew in the wild? Many times the "spoil" dirt from the hole is piled up around the tree, burying the root flair.

Get an arborist to come look at it for a fee. Is repalcing all you can do? Can you cut into the rootball and trench radialy out to release it from it's "clay pot".

If too deep, can it be raised or5 the grade around it lowered?

It is true you should check the planting depth. Also review your watering practices. What do you mean by " plenty of water" ?
It is possible to apply to much water in any given situation.
After 4 years I would imagine a tree would require only what Mother Nature would supply, unless you are in a dry spell.
At our garden center we have seen alot of distressed plants which we attribute to this past winter.Here in Illinois we had a harsh winter.

John
Owner, Garden Visions Nursery
Illinois

Back