Disturbing crud

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musch

Chainsaw Zombie
Reaction score
I was refuelling my 357xp last weekend, and noticed some brown stuff in the gas tank.
I scraped it off the inside of the tank, and it was a dark brown, tarry substance. I will get a pic to show y'all.
It was like thick molasses, or resin. Smells like gas. Probably the size of a dime, spread flat.

I always make my mix one gallon at a time, and use the same can, nothing unusual in there.
Could a clump of this nasty $h*t come right out of the pump?

I am definately not using any weird gas stations anymore, even in a "pinch".
I always use 93 octane, and have never seen this type of thing before.

My ole man strains all his gas for his small engines(saws, outboards and such) through a screened funnel and sometimes adds a coffee filter. I always thought he was nuts when I was younger, but after getting some crappy fuel(industry term I believe) a couple times I'm awefully picky where I get my saw gas. I don't go to his extreme but maybe I should after all I did get his hand-me-down boat a few years back, '58 Feathercraft w/'62 Merc 50 hp, that still runs great with original bore & rings. He must know something.......

Last edited:
I am seriously considering a coffee filter.

There is no suckback, because the fuel filter is clean as a whistle.
It is right there in the fuel tank.
Like I said, the gas can is like new as well.

Coffee Filter Strainer?

Does the coffee filter hold up for more than one use?
Not trying to be cheap here, but just wondering.
If it works it seems like a good way to keep the fuel clean.

Just make sure it will strain 0.00000055576342998 microns out of the fuel. Because the uber-small micromatic particles will screw with the velocity of the hydrogen atoms and will short out the lithium crystals.

I kill me!!! HAHAHAHA!:ices_rofl: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :sword:

Gary

Lithium crystals?

Gary... you some kind of in the closet Trekkie?

Beam me up, Scotty... got a crazy guy talkin' bout chainsaws:chainsawguy:

Lithium... anti-depressant... Hmm.. what does he mean by "I kill me"????

Gary... get the back on the wagon:chainsawguy:

Last edited:
Just make sure it will strain 0.00000055576342998 microns out of the fuel. Because the uber-small micromatic particles will screw with the velocity of the hydrogen atoms and will short out the lithium crystals.

Gary

Gary,

It's Di-Lithium,,,,,,, :monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

An auto paint store should be able to hook you up with some paint strainers.

Not as 'fine' filtration as a coffee filter, but should catch a lot of the coarse junk & flow better. Plus they are cone-shaped to fit a funnel.

Though a funnel with a screen should do the same thing.

Gary

I think you have a loose chrome arch buckler :dizzy:

Back on topic do you leave gas sitting in the tank for any length of time? Also what oil do you use? Some oils will separate from the fuel and could possibly build up on the inside of your tank.

Latest posts

Back