New-ish husky 555!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenK

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just scored a gently used 555 husqvarna on fleebay. I really would have rather given my money to a local dealer but the price was too good to pass up. I'm moving up from a husky 440 to this 555 (which I'm pumped about). I don't have any experience with automatic carbs on chainsaws, and am wondering if there are any things that would need to be done differently with the maintenance of this saw? With my old 440 I used 93 octane gas station fuel with mix that was in between 50:1 and 40:1. Always used husky oil. That thing always fired up on the 2nd pull. Does the 555 strictly require ethanol free fuel, or is it a best case scenario kinda thing? I don't mind going that route, just wondering. I will be using it to cut firewood for myself and family members. I am fairly adept at chain, bar, air filter, fuel filter, and general maintenance. Just wondering if there are any standard operating procedures outside of sharpen, fuel, and cut that I need to add into my routine with this new saw.
Any advice or thought would be welcome. I'm new to the forum, and since I got myself a big boy saw I figured I would poke around here and try and soak up some knowledge from you fine folks.

Ethanol feee fuel is a good idea in any saw, the autotune carb is no different. I know its harder to come by and generally more expensive, but think about how little fuel you actually use in a chainsaw.
Enjoy that 555, that's about as good as a firewood saw gets

You wil notice quite a difference in power from your 440. I believe you will like it.
The 555 also is a better quality saw of course, that will last longer with proper maintenance - and he doesn't have to worry about the carb settings.

Buying off Ebay always is risky though - you never know the reason the item is sold, or how it has been treated before.

Agreed with the eBay risk. I did speak to the seller and felt comfortable with the responses to my questions. He also stated that if I wasn't happy he would accept a return. So I decided to roll the dice. I figured since I came in under budget I could get another bar. It's coming with a 20" husky bar that looks to be in good working order. Already have some full chisel chains en route. Should I think about a 16" bar to pair with the 20"? Or should I look at a small mount 24" for a "just in case" type of scenario? Or perhaps replace the 20"?
I have heard husky bars aren't to the same level of quality as their saws are, any truth to that? Again I'm just using it to drop and buck mainly oak, locust, and the occasional pine for firewood.
Thanks for the responses thus far.

I should have it early next week, so there will be pics and vid to follow :)

Hopefully dressed up with a new b/c ;-)

Understood on the 24"
I should probably wait and assess the condish of the existing bar before I go buying a bunch of different bars.
I'm just excited and have been looking at bars now for most of my work day :)

So the saw came today. Everything looks to be in order. Saw fired up well and when I was checking how the chain was oiling I noticed the adjustment screw for the oiler was missing a piece so the thread for the flat head was completely missing a side. I tried to snap a pic. Is this something I should be worried about? If it needs to be fixed is it expensive ? I'm thinking it wouldn't be but wanted opinions. Is this something I should return the saw because it wasn't disclosed? Seems like it could have been an oversight. The chain is getting oil, I checked against some cardboard and there was a decent strip of oil left on it. I can get a pair of needle nose on it to adjust the screw.
Pics coming.....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
Here's a few more.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
So the saw came today. Everything looks to be in order. Saw fired up well and when I was checking how the chain was oiling I noticed the adjustment screw for the oiler was missing a piece so the thread for the flat head was completely missing a side. I tried to snap a pic. Is this something I should be worried about? If it needs to be fixed is it expensive ? I'm thinking it wouldn't be but wanted opinions. Is this something I should return the saw because it wasn't disclosed? Seems like it could have been an oversight. The chain is getting oil, I checked against some cardboard and there was a decent strip of oil left on it. I can get a pair of needle nose on it to adjust the screw.
Pics coming.....

Turn the oiler all the way up to max output) and forget it. I don't have a 555, but have a 562 which uses many of the same parts.

If it bothers you a lot, the oiler is fairly cheap (~$25), and would be relatively easy to replace.

Enjoy your saw!

Sounds like a plan. I was just curious.
Can't wait to put some fuel through it.

Thanks

Turn the oiler all the way up to max output) and forget it. I don't have a 555, but have a 562 which uses many of the same parts.

If it bothers you a lot, the oiler is fairly cheap (~$25), and would be relatively easy to replace.

Enjoy your saw!
agreed

Back