DIY Cant Hook

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just have the photos sitting in a directory on my computer. I think the key to to keep the size small. I use 96 pixels & the largest side of the photo 12" or less.

Steps once the photo is properly sized:
- Click on <Upload a File>
- Browse to the directory you have your photo(s) in then click on the photo you want to upload. (If you see a list of files but need to see the photos to choose, right click on the white area of the browse window, then <view>, then <large images>)
- It will take close to a minute to upload. Then choose <Thumbnail> or <Full image>

That's it. It is actually easy as long as the photos are small enough. I use Photoshop to resize but I have heard the free programs, "Picasso" & "Resizer" work well.

I just have the photos sitting in a directory on my computer. I think the key to to keep the size small. I use 96 pixels & the largest side of the photo 12" or less.

Steps once the photo is properly sized:
- Click on <Upload a File>
- Browse to the directory you have your photo(s) in then click on the photo you want to upload. (If you see a list of files but need to see the photos to choose, right click on the white area of the browse window, then <view>, then <large images>)
- It will take close to a minute to upload. Then choose <Thumbnail> or <Full image>

That's it. It is actually easy as long as the photos are small enough. I use Photoshop to resize but I have heard the free programs, "Picasso" & "Resizer" work well.

I use Gimp to edit photos, it is open source and free and works on all operating systems AFAIK.

JT

Maybe I'm missing something, but Photobucket works pretty straight forward and quickly for me... I've tried a few hosting services; was using imgur most recently until they started charging to keep more than 225 images accessible, so went back to Photobucket.

[edit for pending screen capture how-to video]

Resizing pics and changing quality to fit the different forums' requirements just seems a pain to me, and time consuming. That's why I prefer using a host like Photobucket or Imgur; couple clicks and you're done. Set your preferences for photo size and just let the program do it automatically when you upload.

Quick screen capture vid I just made of using Photobucket:

JT here are a couple of pictures of my hookaroon. Overall length 44" weight about 10-12 lbs. Great tool. I cannot work without it. Recently, splitting I lifted all the rounds with this tool. For heavier rounds I stick the spike then use one hand on the handle and the other on the front spike and it is an easy two handed lift. The upper square shape on the spike really holds the rounds. image.jpgimage.jpg

I had one that was in tough shape. I modified it by putting a railroad spike in the center and a piece of steel to tie into a sharp foot. It's all epoxied since the thing was hollow and has a muffler clamp for strength. The handle was cracked and that has a couple bolts through it to reinforce. It has handled anything I can attempt to move now. I find the hook and foot must be sharp in order to work well.

jfattg.jpg

bexcu9.jpg

Nice redfin.

How does it work with the two toe setup on the handle?

I would imagine it would work much better than the original as the cap as seen in the photo isn't sharp. The one I posted also had a cap like that and it would slip on the wood. Sharp is much better for getting a grip in two places, the hook and bottom of the cant.

I got a job to clean up this lady's wooded area. The area has a lot of downed trees . Some buried in the ground. My thought is a peavey type can't hook would help with this clean up. So I gathered some leftover material and made one. Initial test I rolled a large pecan trunk that I have, a telephone pole and a smaller log. Seems to work. I still need to recut the hook a bit, add sawtooth to the handle, paint and add handle wrap. This weekend I will see if it works. The peavey point will be good for prying plus I do not have to bend over to pick it up. It will stand stuck in the ground. I may also get to test my HF winch. See what it can do with logs. Lots of firewood to bring home. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

ETpilot,

Nice work! Looks like you came up with a pevant hook... both a peavey and a cant hook from the looks of the spike head as the toe of the cant hook and the spike being the peavey part.

JT

Latest posts

Back