DL counts for 32 - 42 inch bars on 880?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this thread is 4+ years old, but it addresses the exact question I have.

I have a Stihl 076 with a 3/8 x .063 sprocket, and several loops of 114DL x 3/8" x .063 ripping chain. I also have a 36" Duromatic bar which specifies the same # of 3/8" DL, but I don't like the extra resistance it presents and don't really like running the chain as loose as I have been advised.

I am hoping to replace the bar with a sprocket nose. Since it took me forever to get the ripping chain, and it's all practically brand new, I am hoping to reuse it.

But I can't seem to find any thing suitable. The only Stihl ES bars I can see on Baileys that are listed as compatible are .404, and are bigger than 36". I emailed them and they suggested a Woodland Pro bar which takes more DL (123), even though I was clear I wanted to reuse my chain.

I thought maybe I could buy a Stihl .404 bar and then replace the tip with a 3/8", but one of the posts here suggests that might not work. I called or emailed a few saw shops but they all seem to be stumped.

What are my options ? What's important for me is that :

1- it fits on the 076, 880, etc
2- I can reuse my ripping chain

This probably won't help, but I modified my bar studs and the bar and used a Oregon reduced weight bar (3003 style) on my ported 880. It balances perfect that way. The 3/8 driver count is 116 but that's also using a 9 pin sprocket so you might be fine with a 114 count. It's hard to say with the 3002-3003 differences.

If I recall, my 880 takes 118 on the 36 and 135 on the 42. 3/8

Kind of a pain because my other saws take 114 with a 36.

My 880 and 3120's both take 156 with a 50 if I remember, 3/8 x 7

My 3120's take 183 at 60 inches, 3/8

The bars are the big mount stihls on the 880 and the regular husky bars on the huskies.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I called one of my Stihl dealers and he's ordering me one from Stihl. He says stihl canada says its a .404, mounts on the 880. He's going to replace the tip with 3/8, he says a guy at the stihl shop said it ought to take 115 dl then which ought to work.

I feel like there's a fair chance things are not going to be that straight forward..seems like nothing is with my saws.the stihl tech sounded a bit unsure.

in case anyone didn't see my other thread, I got the 36 inch bar. as I supposed might happen, the 36" sprocket bar required a different number of drive links (119) than my old 36" bar (114). Grr. to make matters worse, I couldn't source matching side straps and presents within 100 miles of me. Actually, although I was willing to buy some 3/8" crosscut chain just to be able to cut, nobody even stocks 3/8" chain. they said it is an American thing? ?

Ended up ordering just some side straps and presets to lengthen my ripping chains and then bought a reel of ripping chain from Bailey's.

thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back