DL counts for 32 - 42 inch bars on 880?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was using sloppy guessing. 104 is 114, and 108 is four bigger, but each .404 is bigger so I added one for good measure to the guess.

114 + 4 + 1 extra=119

Edit: I got out my old HP from my distand calculus days, and using your formula it says 116. That doesn't make sense to me.

Stihl says 114.. but that's with their tip.

I was using sloppy guessing. 104 is 114, and 108 is four bigger, but each .404 is bigger so I added one for good measure to the guess.

114 + 4 + 1 extra=119

Edit: I got out my old HP from my distand calculus days, and using your formula it says 116. That doesn't make sense to me.

Or should it be .404/.375 * 114

That yields almost 123!

Last edited:
404 dl counts

attachment.php

Stihl says 114.. but that's with their tip.

It strange that the dl count worked out perfectly on the 41 inch ES bar that has the same tipped swapped in,if it were the tip.

So tips works out for 41. But your charts list the 36 .404 at 108 and .375 at 114.

But for example Cannon bars (36) list .404 at 104 and .375 at 114.

My brain must be too tired. :monkey:

Last edited:
you're making the assumption that the bar is the same for 404 and 3/8 except for the tip

I guess I was assuming that, and I suppose they could have two separate bars. But what I keep going back to is with the 41 inch ES bar I bought, it was also .404 and the same black 3/8 tip was swapped in and the dls were the same between the mounts.

But you are right, they could have separate .404 and 3/8 bars for each, and the 41 just happened to work out "right."

So either way I need to come up with 3/8 equivalent dls. to 108 in .404

So my current math model says 108/104 * 114.which is around 118 which seems reasonable.

Last edited:
As I posted once before... make up the chain a few links long, fit it, but don't bother spinning it until you're sure.

Then engrave the length on the bar !!!

As I posted once before... make up the chain a few links long, fit it, but don't bother spinning it until you're sure.

Then engrave the length on the bar !!!

Good idea on both.

Here's my current theory on what is going on:

Stihl has two length bars for the 36 in the 3002 mount. The 3/8 version is a little shorter so that folks can run all the same chains as their other 3/8 saws (like I was hoping to do).

The dealer only stocks the .404 ES bars in 3002 mount, and .404 users aren't as likely to care about this retro and the bar is longer for some reason.

If true, the best answer would have been to have the dealer order me the 3/8 bar and use my existing 114 dl chains.

Last edited:
Nope.... you can't buy the 3002 36 inch 3/8 063 bar in the USA...

Thanks for that info.

I spun up a chain this morning and put the new bar to work (118 was as short as I dared go with an 8 pin).

I do think the black nose looks nice, more contrast than the all white nose which look nice too. I like ES bars real well, especially since I can get them for the same price as the Oregon Powermatch, which although is a decent bar is nowhere near an ES.

Since I didn't have a long chain at the dealer when I bought the 880 , they just tached it without a bar. It tached 12,000 without, and he figured it would be down to at least 11,500 with a bar. (He said they are not coming from the factory as insanely lean as saws were in the past.)

I tached the 880 this morning with the bar, and it settled in at 11,200 and actually sounded a little rich to me. So after another few tanks I'll probably adjust it to more like 11,500 (barring dope slapping by Andy:) ).

Here's a couple shots of the new nose,sitting on a 45 inch diameter half round of Douglas fir that I am working this morning. Tasty looking grain in the center, and I have high hopes for it.

http://www.billluce.com/save_temp/880_5.JPG
http://www.billluce.com/save_temp/880_6.JPG

Last edited:
Got a question for you Andy.
I got a 404 36" 3002 bar for my 084 hanging around waiting for use and was told that there was 2 different 3/8 tips or just 2 different types of bar tips in general for it. What is the difference in the tips that I need to watch for when getting myself a 3/8 tip for this bar?

Hope my question made since to you. Thanks.......

B_Turner, that black tip on that bar reminds me of the Windsor speed tips with stihl wrote on it instead. I am just talking about the black tip on white is all.
I got a 32" speed tip that has Makita wrote like that.
32bar20.jpg

Last edited:
I got a 404 36" 3002 bar for my 084 hanging around waiting for use and was told that there was 2 different 3/8 tips or just 2 different types of bar tips in general for it. What is the difference in the tips that I need to watch for when getting myself a 3/8 tip for this bar?

There's only one 3/8 tip available from stihl... so.. what's the part number on your bar?

There's only one 3/8 tip available from stihl... so.. what's the part number on your bar?

Thanks for that info.

I spun up a chain this morning and put the new bar to work (118 was as short as I dared go with an 8 pin).

I do think the black nose looks nice, more contrast than the all white nose which look nice too. I like ES bars real well, especially since I can get them for the same price as the Oregon Powermatch, which although is a decent bar is nowhere near an ES.

Since I didn't have a long chain at the dealer when I bought the 880 , they just tached it without a bar. It tached 12,000 without, and he figured it would be down to at least 11,500 with a bar. (He said they are not coming from the factory as insanely lean as saws were in the past.)

I tached the 880 this morning with the bar, and it settled in at 11,200 and actually sounded a little rich to me. So after another few tanks I'll probably adjust it to more like 11,500 (barring dope slapping by Andy:) ).

Here's a couple shots of the new nose,sitting on a 45 inch diameter half round of Douglas fir that I am working this morning. Tasty looking grain in the center, and I have high hopes for it.

http://www.billluce.com/save_temp/880_5.JPG
http://www.billluce.com/save_temp/880_6.JPG

Do I have to come down there and slap you?

A 36 inch bar is TOO SHORT to test an 880 for WOT... and WOT is just a crude approximation of the correct mixture.. oh yes.,., the Stihl spec is =/- 1000rpm..

Leave it alone for 10 tanks..or more... generally, leave it alone, period!

Changing it by 300 rpm is irrelevant. In any case, your saw will generally be set be hard against the CARB limiter and you won't be able to make it richer without surgery, and leaner by "300"
won't make it cut any better.

maybe you should have stayed with the 3120:mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
Do I have to come down there and slap you?

A 36 inch bar is TOO SHORT to test an 880 for WOT... and WOT is just a crude approximation of the correct mixture.. oh yes.,., the Stihl spec is =/- 1000rpm..

Leave it alone for 10 tanks..or more... generally, leave it alone. Changign it by 300 rpm is irelevant. In any case, your saw will generally be set be hard against the CARB limiter and you won't be able to make it richer without surgery, and leaner won't make it cut any better.

maybe you should have stayed with the 3120:mad: :mad: :mad:

Granted on both the bar too shot for setting WOT (and it was a very quick test given no real load) and I won't be able to richen it easly (didn't want to). What I had been thinking was that if the saw is running 11,200 after okay 10 tanks with the 50 inch bar (that should be long enough given the spec for the bar capacity according to Stihl), then I might lean itout to 11,500.

Am I missing something here? :monkey: Saw sounded a bit rich to me when I was cutting with the big bar, that is why I took a look at WOT for reference.

I know it's not broke in, only about 5 tanks so far, so I'm just looking. Also, todays cutting with the 36+ inch bar was big noodle cuts, so enough load to make the saw happy with such a short bar.

Last edited:
Just read your edits. I know it's all an approximation, but I thought once broke in and using a long bar 11,200 was a little slow and a little more power could safely be had. If you think not, then I stand corrected.

With my 066, running closer to the max WOT spec vs down even a few hundred rpm makes a difference in power. All my saws except the 5100 always run close enough to what I like that I almost never have had to readjust them. I'm not a carb fiddler, just thought the 880 sounded a bit rich. I like that for a break in, but didn't see the harm in eventually going for 11,500 WOT with the longer bar, as per the manual. And depending what lit you read, Stihl says the maximum permissible WOT rpm with bar is 12,000. So I thought an eventual 11,500 was conservative.

Last edited:
as 11,500 is supposedly max.. and stihl spec is +/-1000, and the coil limiter is about 12,250.. (+/- somewhat)...

A 41 inch bar would be a reasonable WOT test point. I'd expect a little less with 50 inch.

Rule 1 - Because of the crazy server problems we're having.. give me 5 minutes to edit my posts before a reply ;)

I really doubt you'd gain much with 300 rpm adjustment... (maybe a 1/64th turn).

All I can say is - stay away from the edge....

BTW... Haven't tached mine since new (rebuild from junked)... cuts o.k..... so I don't care what the numbers are. Ditto on my 044, 361, 066, MS200...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back