Do driftwood logs make good board lumber?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy clarkson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
There are some good cedar logs on the beach that aren't rotted thinking about chopping them up and then dragging them away with my kayak.

Then slicing them up with my bandsaw.

Does this sound like a good plan?

There are some good cedar logs on the beach that aren't rotted thinking about chopping them up and then dragging them away with my kayak.

I dunno....How big of a chunk? Or how big is the kayak?

I'm thinking right from the get-go, this needs to be video'd a put on YouTube....right next to the guy that soaks his jeans in gasoline and sets them on fire. Cause it's gonna be a 1,000,000 hit classic!

Scott B

SOME good logs on the beach??? In washington??? lol..
when I was there I could not believe the amount of driftwood. Enough to build a small town with. granted the beack was pretty desolate and not the type one would go to get a tan or have a family outing...lol these were from the sand point trail I believe way up near the end of the country. Part of Olympic Nat'l park.

342320233_eD2Cf-M-1.jpg

346311502_S7yw6-M-1.jpg

346664450_9gCDk-L-1.jpg

Be very careful and wear a respirator when using power tools on driftwood or any dead wood you are cutting, milling or carving.
They can and usually do have millions of spores and nasty microscopic things in them that can harm you.
Make sure you are outdoors and well protected from the sawdust and air-borne particulate when using any power tools on driftwood.
Good luck.

if they are logs then yes. if they are big limbs then not good for lumber but still good for carving.

Hey Cowboyvet
Can you please tell my the name of the company who are milling driftwood?
I would be very grateful if you can

It should probably be important to know if that is driftwood from the ocean, or driftwood from a freshwater source.

My understanding is that wood doesn't take a saltwater cure very well.

I'd guess there might be quite a bit of sand embedded in those logs - very tough on chainsaw chains and any type of blade.
^^This.^^

All that time the log rolling around on the beach, embedded with sand. Unless you take a debarker (either hand or power tool type) and remove a bit of the sapwood, you can bet the farm on the fact it will do a number on your bandsaw blades.

Check for signs of rot, decay, or insect damage, especially in areas that have been in contact with the sand or water. If the logs appear solid and free from significant damage, they could be excellent for woodworking projects. However, keep in mind that saltwater exposure might affect the wood's integrity, so it's advisable to let the logs dry thoroughly before cutting and using them.

Back