Do I need a Spencer Loggers Tape?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maul ratt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am one who likes to buy top of the line tools and was wondering if someone can tell me more about Spencer tape measures? I was thinking about getting a 75'. Can someone explain what it means when the tapes come in 8ths or 10ths? Also, I want to use this for measuring logs before bucking them. Does this work well for that? I like 18" logs and I heard the tapes have a red mark every 16"
Any opinions about this tool would be appreciated. Thanks!
:popcorn:

I have a '50, I hear the longer ones don't last as long, you can do it all with a '50, rare to see a log over '50 on a truck. The marks every "16 are for framing, stud or joist layout. They usualy have a spike on the dumb end, you stick it in the big end of the tree and walk the log limbing, you measure the log as you work. When you are done you yank on the tape and it winds up on its own. A great tool.

I was wondering how fast the tape measure winds up when it's stretched out? I heard they are powerful at rewinding and was wondering if they come in real fast with that nail on the end slinging around? :confused:

I was wondering how fast the tape measure winds up when it's stretched out? I heard they are powerful at rewinding and was wondering if they come in real fast with that nail on the end slinging around? :confused:

You can control the speed with your hand, I hope I don't have to tell you to be wearing gloves and a mesh facescreen.

I use a bent horse shoe nail on the end of mine. Don't let it "free wheel" in, do what clearance said and guide it in with your hand. If you clip it on your belt loop watch how you sit down or you'll wind up with a nail, or "spike" in your butt (experience speaking).
8th's or 10th's is how the fraction's are broken down on the measuring scale.
I'm with clearance on the 50 footers. The only time a 75' tape is handy is when you're cutting logs in good timber, you can cut two 33's without pulling your tape again.
For firewood I never use a log tape unless I'm cutting it in log length.

Andy

Back