"Do It Now" Bid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You said the daughter runs the place, she is the manager who makes the day to day decisions.

imo no matter what the work, you should get a signature before starting. At least you blame yourself more then her, she figures she is just doing her job.

If he wants you to do it, then you just ask for a bit more to cover the time lost on the last trip.

The daughter was the one who had me call her Dad to get the OK to look at the trees and then call him back with the quote. Stop trying to read into things that aren't there.

OK, I said the "daughter manages it." All I meant was that she is there telling the nurse-aide what to do. The father is on-site during the day, but had an appointment somewhere, today. Just let the issue of who's in charge, go. It's a non-issue.

So you were giving a guy ( who wouldn't even meet you for the estimate ) a do it now price over the phone? My point still stands, unless you've got a good feeling, have great rapport, etc, there is no point in a do it now price. The do it now price is just a close for me.

OK, I said the "daughter manages it." All I meant was that she is there telling the nurse-aide what to do. The father is on-site during the day, but had an appointment somewhere, today. Just let the issue of who's in charge, go. It's a non-issue.

Don't get him started again. The detail will be painful.

So you were giving a guy ( who wouldn't even meet you for the estimate ) a do it now price over the phone? My point still stands, unless you've got a good feeling, have great rapport, etc, there is no point in a do it now price. The do it now price is just a close for me.

OK, this thread is going on too long, now, so this is my last post in it. I never told the guy it was a "do it now" price, which was my mistake, as I see it. I simply figured, incorrectly, that since I was giving him such a low price, he would take it. I screwed up, and I admit it. That's why I was so po'd at myself, today. My little add-on slip for my contracts will hopefully solve this problem, for me, should it present itself, again. Y'all have more fun in this thread if you want to. I'm outta here----

On a side note. You should never climb by yourself. He might have saved your life today, who knows?

I often give a do it now price. Such as the neighbor who walks over while we are working and says how much to cut and chip this bush. I say $50 today or $250 to come back another day. This way they understand that the discount is cause we are there and set up etc. If we need to drive back across town for one little bush it gets the minimum price. All aerial work I always bring a groundworker now cause it sucks to drop your handsaw when by yourself and it's dangerous...... Mike

doctors are the worst customers.

i try to avoid them and lawyers.cheap SOBs,both of them.

I don't know where to start. I would think someone with your credentials would put more value on his time. A crew of illegals with electric chainsaws and extension ladders couldn't beat your bid. Your quote was already massively underbid. Then to have any remorse about raising your bid to comeback to the jobsite is ridiculous. Travel time,set up,fuel and you know the rest is expensive. I wish you much success but your attitude is more suited to be a employee then a owner.

I don't really discriminate between "do it now" and "do it next week." However I do have a "boredom rate" which is for stupid little things... 1 branch that can be dropped and walk away, or pruning a couple of bushes, etc.

When I was younger, in my 20's, working out of a pickup and knocking on doors I used to use the old "if I can do it right now" line and would often get the job. I don't do that anymore because I think it make one sound too much like Vince from Shamwow.

I do understand that your not saying that you used that line, rather you gave the guy a price that you thought no one could refuse and he balked on you. I have made the same mistake before. Just chalk it up to a lesson learned. I will use the do it now price just like the other guy mentioned. If I am working next door and can do the job while I'm there without having to travel to return I will tell them that I will do it right now for this price but if I have to return to do it it will be this price. I will also often ask a potential client, if I am not busy that day, if I bring my climbing gear and we agree on a price that day if they would like for me go ahead and do it. It allows me to gauge the person and see how serious they are about getting the job done or if they are getting competitive bids.

Just a little food for thought:

There is a guy working in my town that I have had two clients accept my bid over his even though I was the higher bidder. I have never met the guy and don't know what his personality is but I do know he is loosing higher end clients because he is under bidding. One of my clients asked me to come put a sign in their yard so the guy would quit bugging them. LOL, after I did the job he stole the sign out of the clients yard and they went through the roof and asked me to bring another one and put it in there yard. My other client asked me if I knew the guy and what I thought of him after she had awarded me the job. I told her that I hadn't seen his work but related the story of client #1 with her. She told me that he had bid $300 less than me but just didn't have a good feeling about the guy. Not everyone is necessarily looking for the cheapest price when considering a tree service. A lot of them have had work done before and know what it costs. If they think that you don't know what it's worth then what kind of service are you going to provide them? Just something to think about.

When I was younger, in my 20's, working out of a pickup and knocking on doors I used to use the old "if I can do it right now" line and would often get the job. I don't do that anymore because I think it make one sound too much like Vince from Shamwow.

I do understand that your not saying that you used that line, rather you gave the guy a price that you thought no one could refuse and he balked on you. I have made the same mistake before. Just chalk it up to a lesson learned. I will use the do it now price just like the other guy mentioned. If I am working next door and can do the job while I'm there without having to travel to return I will tell them that I will do it right now for this price but if I have to return to do it it will be this price. I will also often ask a potential client, if I am not busy that day, if I bring my climbing gear and we agree on a price that day if they would like for me go ahead and do it. It allows me to gauge the person and see how serious they are about getting the job done or if they are getting competitive bids.

Just a little food for thought:

There is a guy working in my town that I have had two clients accept my bid over his even though I was the higher bidder. I have never met the guy and don't know what his personality is but I do know he is loosing higher end clients because he is under bidding. One of my clients asked me to come put a sign in their yard so the guy would quit bugging them. LOL, after I did the job he stole the sign out of the clients yard and they went through the roof and asked me to bring another one and put it in there yard. My other client asked me if I knew the guy and what I thought of him after she had awarded me the job. I told her that I hadn't seen his work but related the story of client #1 with her. She told me that he had bid $300 less than me but just didn't have a good feeling about the guy. Not everyone is necessarily looking for the cheapest price when considering a tree service. A lot of them have had work done before and know what it costs. If they think that you don't know what it's worth then what kind of service are you going to provide them? Just something to think about.

SO TRUE! Always know your worth. I've always targeted that kind of high end client but as long as you look that much more appealing than the last tree service it doesn't matter how well off or not your customer is. It's one of the reasons I only keep my personal trucks for three yrs maximum because believe it or not your vehicle is very often your first impression. Clean and tidy and tasteful IDs will always appeal.

I also give them lots of useful factual advice pertaining to their trees when I'm quoting. I don't look on it as free advice because I know that I'm going to get the job, and at a healthy price too. After giving them the 'star' treatment they always return, and they always tell their friends.

I was worried about starting all over again when I packed up and moved to the US three years ago but it has been even easier than last time. It's all about how you communicate yourself to your customer. If you can 'make' them like you it's half the battle.

Back