Do local dealers or internet reseller's offer Stihl chainsaw discounts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I bought my 441, I shopped around a while by going to whichever Stihl dealer happened to be near whichever route I was taking to go somewhere. Over the course of several weeks, this worked out to four dealers. Two were just Stihl places, one was a hardware-type store [neighborhood, not big box, of course]. All four were fairly close in price, the spread maybe fifty bucks.

Then I stopped in at one more and he was almost a hundred bucks less. I left the place with a new 441 in my hands. I've been back since for bars, chains, etc.

please post bill of sale, and how much gas did you spend driving around looking for that great savings

please post bill of sale, and how much gas did you spend driving around looking for that great savings

Don't know how to post bill of sale, but it is in my hands and says MS441 with 24" ES bar and 1 RSC chain.

$730 + tax of $33.58. The other prices were, not counting sales tax, $799, $809, $839.

Didn't really spend any extra gas as I was dropping by places very near where I was going anyhow. Not really ready to plop down the $$ for another saw but browsing more than anything else. I did not make any trips to places I wasn't go by anyway. So, no gas spent for saw shopping. Actually, after dropping by the first places, I had decided to forgo buying another saw then changed my mind a few weeks after that decision when I happened to see a dealer I didn't even know about as I drove back from a meeting. I whipped into the place, just for grins, and found the much lower price. It was a complete chance sort of thing.

Last edited:
My dealer is very good to me, but we've been doing business there 30+ years. We've bought a **** load of new saws there over the years and are in there every two weeks buying chain and mix. He gives us a good discount on new saws, and around 15% on chains, parts and mix. I wouldn't consider going anywhere else.

My dealer is very good to me, but we've been doing business there 30+ years. We've bought a **** load of new saws there over the years and are in there every two weeks buying chain and mix. He gives us a good discount on new saws, and around 15% on chains, parts and mix. I wouldn't consider going anywhere else.

Same here. I've been doing business with the same saw shop for over 35 years. Most of the guys I work with use the same shop. He treats us fairly and goes out of his way to make sure we have the stuff we need to make a living.

Some of his stuff is competitive in price with the box stores, some is a little higher. I don't mind paying a little more and doing all my business in one place with people who know their saws, their inventory, and take care of their customers.

For many years I'd buy a new saw every year, lately it's been the 660, move last year's saw to backup status, and trade in the 2 year old. What he allowed on a trade-in is secret, and probably varied from guy to guy, but it was good enough to keep a bunch of us coming back year after year.

He made a little money on us...and that's good. He said he made most of his pure profit on homeowner types who neglected their saws and then wanted him to perform cheap miracles. :)

Latest posts

Back