Do stihls have more torque than husqvarna in general?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andyshine77 said:
“HP is the amount of work an engine or motor can provide, torque is a result of HP. HP is more important than torque. What I believe the OP felt is nothing more than than a different power band. If an engine makes it's power at say 8,000 rpm vs say 10,000rpm it will give the illusion it has more low end, when all you're really doing is operating the engine in it's power band. Now operate the engine that makes it's power at a higher rpm than pull it down too far it will seem like it's under powered, when in fact you're simply not operating the engine properly.

A lot of truth in that, except the basics - power (hp or kW) actually is a function of both torque and rpm - you need both to get a high hp number, that just is a theoretical number for how much work the saw can do. It still is the torque and rpm that actually do the work - and then there is the chain and the sprocket gearing, that will have some impact on the rpm and cutting speed in practical cutting.

meh my little saws lack both torque and horsepower. but not my old f250 with the bullet proof 4.9 inline though it cranks the torque.
4'' inch bore 3.98'' stroke 145 hp 260 ft lbs torque

i ran a homelite super wiz 80 gear drive and it was not stopping even though the chain was pinched, it is hard to load that engine even in hardwoods i guess it is a torque monster but not much hp.

meh my little saws lack both torque and horsepower. but not my old f250 with the bullet proof 4.9 inline though it cranks the torque.
4'' inch bore 3.98'' stroke 145 hp 260 ft lbs torque
I have had several 4.9 Fords. It is a good motor. I have a 1966 Cutlass with a 455ci. motor. 4.25 inches of stroke makes a lot of torque. I always thought it would have made a good truck motor.

I have had several 4.9 Fords. It is a good motor. I have a 1966 Cutlass with a 455ci. motor. 4.25 inches of stroke makes a lot of torque. I always thought it would have made a good truck motor.

The olds 455 was my favorite motor to beat on back in the day. Torque out the azz which resulted in ALOT of new tires. I have put a couple 455's in trucks also.

I've used Stihl's for years. Went to a dual dealer +Husqvarna. Mind was made up to switch. After talking to dealer he said I won't sell you a Husqvarna you'll hate it! Because it's powerband is different than Stihls. Not more or less just a difference, where the power is, Low mid top end.

So stump saws would do well with lots of low end torque and limbing saws do well with lots of high rpm's. My Husky 288 makes a good stumper and the Husky 346 a great limber.
My J-red 2095 has plenty of hp and torque for pruning and cutting brush. Should be a good stumper too.

I cut a 32 inch stump flush with a wild thing the other day and it done a pretty good job. a two year old red oak stump too. it was hard as a rock.
Well, you'll have to throw it away now even if it seems like it still runs - everyone knows they're only good for one job and then they're done.

Wasn't my saw but it done the job. It did run when I gave it back.:chainsaw:
Lol - I have a Craftsman version from 1995. It did run great until I did something stupid porting it - now it needs a new cylinder, but I'll run across one eventually and it will be good for another decade or so.

Latest posts

Back