Do trees and creatures really predict the weather?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think to an extent animals have to get some type of feeling. Whether it is muskrats building larger dens or squirrels stashing more grub there more than likely is some type of pattern that can be learned from. I would imagine times would get pretty tough on creatures and we would see some extinctions if they couldn't plan accordingly.

I've heard mountain ash berry crop will predict snow. Low yield equals high snows to come (mountain ash carry their berries though the winter), high yield equals low snow expected. I haven't followed it close enough to know if it's right plus the two mountain ash trees I used to watch died of old age.

I do believe nature can predict future events in some cases. And others are probably wives tails. Only way to find out would be to do a scientific study with many years of data and large sample size.

A link to the horoscope weather er I mean the farmers almanac... You're serious?

We know from the early days in the USA when cowboys rode herd over cattle being driven long distances how a thirsty herd would stampede at the smell of water that was unseen with the naked eye. Same with salt. I've seen men from the city move to the country and start a cattle ranch. Good grass, plenty of feed. But they overlooked one small thing. Salt ! That said; when cattle have gone w/o salt long enough, and they get a whiff of it, they'll tear through fence after fence to get to it. We under estimate the wisdom of what we call dumb animals. The ancient Hebrew scrolls explain in more detail than the Holy Bible of the astonishing event that took place when all the wild animals gathered around Noah's Ark, and all but boarded themselves onto that vessel. It has been said about Japan's Tsunami, that the wild animals were seen running up the mountain sides before it ever struck land.

We know from the early days in the USA when cowboys rode herd over cattle being driven long distances how a thirsty herd would stampede at the smell of water that was unseen with the naked eye. Same with salt. I've seen men from the city move to the country and start a cattle ranch. Good grass, plenty of feed. But they overlooked one small thing. Salt ! That said; when cattle have gone w/o salt long enough, and they get a whiff of it, they'll tear through fence after fence to get to it. We under estimate the wisdom of what we call dumb animals. The ancient Hebrew scrolls explain in more detail than the Holy Bible of the astonishing event that took place when all the wild animals gathered around Noah's Ark, and all but boarded themselves onto that vessel. It has been said about Japan's Tsunami, that the wild animals were seen running up the mountain sides before it ever struck land.
Ok.... But trees?

Ok.... But trees?

Well if you cut a willer twig and hold it right, she'll tell yee whar water is; most old wells were found thisa way!
I've seen it done back when I was a young teenager. Dad bought a 100 acre piece of range land near the foothills of Lindsay, CA. Dry as toast. No water. He hired a Well Witcher that used a willow branch. According to the Witcher, he couldn't dig directly over the water, but went in at a deep angle, and dynamited the dry hole. It worked, and water gushed forth. Dad put a Caterpillar D6 engine and large pump over the well, and U talk about a gusher of water, we had it. He began farming Barley grain from the land.

I've seen it done back when I was a young teenager. Dad bought a 100 acre piece of range land near the foothills of Lindsay, CA. Dry as toast. No water. He hired a Well Witcher that used a willow branch. According to the Witcher, he couldn't dig directly over the water, but went in at a deep angle, and dynamited the dry hole. It worked, and water gushed forth. Dad put a Caterpillar D6 engine and large pump over the well, and U talk about a gusher of water, we had it. He began farming Barley grain from the land.
Yeah I seen several witchers in my day some that could find it in the desert.

I watched my well guy find underground pipes with the case of a bic pen and a coat hanger one time.

Seems like I have a good crop of acorns every other year. As far as the weather goes, I think it's random but cyclic over history, it seems like a batch of warmer winters and then a batch of colder winters.

I watched my well guy find underground pipes with the case of a bic pen and a coat hanger one time.

I had a guy come and do a similar thing one time and he was completely wrong, as a matter of fact he couldn't have been further from the water lines.....lol....

I had a guy come and do a similar thing one time and he was completely wrong, as a matter of fact he couldn't have been further from the water lines.....lol....
Haha well if the pay is right I can come tell ya where they are but I will use airspade lol don't expect it to be all purty, I aint no witcher lol:eek:

If fire ants can be an indicator of weather we are going to have a rougher winter here. I've lived here going on 14 years and we have always had fire ants on our property but this year in the last month and a half these evil things have just about overran our house. We have never had a problem with them in or against the house till lately. Its like they are heading for higher/dryer ground. I know just about every place I've ever lived even as a kid you always get a field mouse or two move in about late fall when the weather starts getting chilly.

Now that I would like to see!! :rock:

Water witchers are an interesting breed. I use to work for a water department years ago and got a call one day from an engineer asking me if I knew anyone one who could locate water underground. It seems that a well driller put a well in for a new home and the well went dry. One of my employees knew an old timer who could witch wells. The old timer came in and told the folks to drill 12 feet away from the original well. Hit a good vain of water that has never failed since. The old timer would not accept any pay for his work as he said it was a gift to be used and would be lost if he accepted pay. And that was only one of many wells he had located. I can't explain it, but some folks are really good at it. W Jones

Back