Do You Ever Wish...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnichols

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Do you ever wish you lived downwind of...you. Tonight my neighbor to the NW of us is enjoying a bit of hickory, oak, and cherry. If the wind turns around, and he chooses to warm his shop, I’m greeted with the aroma of kitchen trash, blue shop towels soaked with engine oil and CRC Brakleen, and Boxelder. Nasty.

I’m about ready to start donating wood to the cause just to have a pleasant smell if I’m working outside.

Do you ever wish you lived downwind of...you. Tonight my neighbor to the NW of us is enjoying a bit of hickory, oak, and cherry. If the wind turns around, and he chooses to warm his shop, I’m greeted with the aroma of kitchen trash, blue shop towels soaked with engine oil and CRC Brakleen, and Boxelder. Nasty.

I’m about ready to start donating wood to the cause just to have a pleasant smell if I’m working outside.
could be worse. like railroad ties.:crazy2: i keep a good supply of cherry on hand to sweeten up the neighborhood.

Ya I do wish I had some nasty smelling crap to burn in my furnace on days we have a south wind. I get to smell the nasty burning barrel every time the wind is from the north. while it is fun some nights to go up in the pines and fire off a couple of 220 Swift rounds at coyotes and see the lights come on it isn't enough to get even.

:D Al

I try to be a responsible wood burner. I have stove with reburn and I burn well seasoned wood only (2years CSS). If I notice visible smoke from my chimney I make adjustments so that it burns clean. Other than reloading most people would never know I have a fire going 24\7.

My neighbor on the other hand burns only with his stove choked down and smoldering. Even burning mostly cherry his fires always stink. I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve seen thick smoke hanging around at ground level, checked on my stove,only to realize it’s another stinky neighbor fire.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t bother me. What does concern me is other neighbors complaining about smoke ultimately leading to a wood burning ban. Every time I see thick ground level smoke as I drive around I think how much easier it is to legislate a ban on something than it is to legislate individual, personal responsibility.

I try to be a responsible wood burner. I have stove with reburn and I burn well seasoned wood only (2years CSS). If I notice visible smoke from my chimney I make adjustments so that it burns clean. Other than reloading most people would never know I have a fire going 24\7.

My neighbor on the other hand burns only with his stove choked down and smoldering. Even burning mostly cherry his fires always stink. I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve seen thick smoke hanging around at ground level, checked on my stove,only to realize it’s another stinky neighbor fire.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t bother me. What does concern me is other neighbors complaining about smoke ultimately leading to a wood burning ban. Every time I see thick ground level smoke as I drive around I think how much easier it is to legislate a ban on something than it is to legislate individual, personal responsibility.

Wish I could like this post a few more times.

My neighbor in my former house started developing his extra lots about a year and a half ago. Long story short he drug out his "logging" operation for over a year and burned all of the brush on a tiny smoldering camp fire. He'd leave the brush in a pile for about two weeks to "dry" it then smolder it all day long. That was annoying but then his firebug off and on again girlfriend loved to get the fires huge and our cars would be covered in ash the next morning. The other neighbor and I finally had a talk with him and he got a bit more careful.

The most aggravating part is there's a yard refuse drop only a couple miles away that charges 5 bucks for as much as you can heap into your pickup. I would have gladly paid for him to dump the entire project over there.

I tried to only burn clean, quality wood. Best smelling fire I ever did was white cedar and black cherry, smelled like heaven to me. I did have a little boxelder that was given to me but would only burn it sparingly when very dry and on a hot fire as that stuff stinks.

When I rebuilt my house, I cut up and burnt the entire house in the OWB. Pretty much everything except insulation, carpet, floor tiles, drywall, and shingles went in there. OSB burns pretty black... Luckily, the nearest neighbor is 1 mile downwind and if the wind goes the other way, that neighbor rarely gets wind of my stove. Back to just wood now for the most part until the next building falls down... :(

Tonight, the fuel load is a proper mix of oak and cherry. Damper is set just about right and the flame is lazy with a blue/orange hue. I’m downwind of “me” tonight and it’s wonderful. Life is too short to burn stuff that stinks. Carry on...

Latest posts

Back