Do you mark your firewood logs as you buck them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat-face timber

Knot Bumper
Reaction score
Do you mark your firewood logs before you buck them for length?
I usually do not, but splitting this last load I think I might need to start..

One block is 19" and the next is 14?

I also cut for my mom, and her wood has to be shorter.
So there is the reason I think.

Used to cutting for her.

Yep. Even mark the smaller stuff. My stove can handle longer logs than my dads. We just cut everything to fit his stove though. Makes it easier.

I use a common surveyor stake and one of those inverted paint marking aerosol cans. Can mark up an average tree in only a minute or two. Tip of stake is 18", base of wedge cut is 16".

No I dont. I can usually guess well enough that they will go in the stove. Hope to be using a processor soon. That will keep them uniform.

Absolutely yes, unless I'm just cutting long skinny poles to fit in the truck. I did not come equipped with an "eye-crometer". Some people claim they are. I call BS on that.
Just found a small tape-measure at HF with a 'biner clip on it. They saw me coming. Tape and chalk-holder or log crayon, done.

I used to "eye 'em up" when cutting the rounds. After about 2 years of ending up with a pile on the back patio that needed to be trimmed, I cut a piece of 2"X2" about 18" long and painted it orange (so I could find it in the chips). Wife got me some sidewalk chalk so now I take the time to mark them when I drop them. While I'm marking them I can also look for tripping hazards and sapling springpoles. Back patio has been reject free since.

I may try chalk. Right now I have a pretty good sawbuck at home for the skinnys. In the field I have a 32" piece of plywood scrap with orange stripes at each and and one stripe in the middle. I have been making wee saw gashes up the trunk as I look for what it's laying on, then go back and cut the rounds off so the blade doesn't get pinched.

Switching to 15" rounds this year, so I need to adjust the sawbuck anyway...

I hate having pieces a little too long.

Most of the time yes, either a homemade tap n cut or good old chalk and a stick marked for length 16 inches is the normal. Makes for better stacking and 3 rows makes 4 feet and easier to figure out how much wood I have stacked. What I scrounge is a lot more random and not as easy sometimes but still burns just as we'll.

Really? U guys are serious? I am not so anal that one piece has to be the same size as the next piece. Nor are my customers. However, they often comment on how they like the fact they are split small for easier handling. No one has ever said ooohhh, lookie there! That one is too long! Point being, spend your time on things worth the while!
:buttkick::dizzy:o_O

Ted

Really? U guys are serious? I am not so anal that one piece has to be the same size as the next piece. Nor are my customers. However, they often comment on how they like the fact they are split small for easier handling. No one has ever said ooohhh, lookie there! That one is too long! Point being, spend your time on things worth the while!
:buttkick::dizzy:o_O

Ted
Last year I was splitting with an electric splitter (Speeco 5 ton).
The max opening was 21".
Do you know how frustrating it is to lift a 100 pound round on to the splitter setting on a table and find it was 21 1/4" long?:chainsaw:
2013-04-29 09.42.41.jpg

used the bar on a big scrounge in the summer. Stacking those splits now, about 1/3 1-2 inches to long to fit in the furnace. Furnace runs best with 20 so I am not cutting tini 16's. May have to use a stick next time.

Yes and side walk chalk works great. It also takes minimal time and if you are in such a big hurry, maybe you shouldn't be running something as dangerous as a chainsaw.

I use my bar for the most part . If I get one a little long ill lop it off at the splitter . Could care less if they are a little short

Back