Do you think I made the right decision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys. I talked to a friend today about keeping my stuff at his place and he gave me the OK. I will give you the +'s and -'s to both places.

Deli + : Commercially zoned, they know lots of people, no nosey neighbors around, they are on 1 1/2 of land, I can work there all night if I want and nobody will complain. On the way from my house to the areas I work in. Only 1.7 miles from my house. I can have more indoor storage for the right $$$ amount. Right by several major roads. Lots of gas stations right there.

Deli -: Nobody around at night. Security has become a problem. I have to do a good chunk of work for free. I have problems with 1 of the 3 each time I deal with him. Most of the land is unusable because of wet lands and a bad slope. Parking is fairly limited for me due to workers and available space. No bathroom at night.

My friend's place +: Somebody is always there in the rental house. The owner is a skilled mechanic. There is a small excavator kept on the property as well as a 2WD tractor with loader. Apartment upstairs. Running water (bathroom) and electric. The place is much larger than my current place. 40 x 60 as opposed to 35 x 35. I get along well with the owners. Very close to my employee's house. Access to the inside is very easy as there is a side door and 2 garage doors as opposed to 1 access door and 1 garage door at my current place. I wouldn't have to do too much in return. If I go here I can still retain the desirable deli people as customers only this time services shall be exchanged for pay.

My friend's place -: Not commercially zoned. Not as much parking, however there are less people to park there. Farther from my house (about 2 or 3 miles away) and in the opposite direction from where I work. Not so many major roads nearby. 1 gas station about 1/2 mile down the road which is high priced.

So what do you guys think? Deli or my buddy's place?

If you have commercial size trucks, there is no choice. If not, it sounds like you prefer your buddy's place. And it also sounds like there is only a couple miles difference in location. Are your trucks so bad that an extra 7-8 miles per day will kill you? I drive 7 miles to work and it's no big deal to me.

Freinds

Based on the relationship you have with your buddy and the owners of that place I think you will be much happier and the consideration of less work because you will be getting paid by the Deli people for your time anyway when you do work for them. Its important(at least to me) to be in an environment where I am not going to be hassled and I am around friendly people. It seems like the Deli place is just goin to add more stress to your life. The downfalls of your buds I dont believe outweigh the beni's of it while the Deli seems a bit more even on the scale.

Brian- Right now I have no truck :( The mileage would not be a problem. My buddy parks his used F250 out back of the garage. There is plenty of places to hide equipment so that nobody would see it. None of the neighbors have given him a problem about having his machines there. The guy has owned the place for at least 20 years now. I figure that the zoning issue would just make it so that I would have to keep my hours within reason and my clutter to a bare minimum. Besides the zoning issue though, do you think I am making the right choice?

Re: Freinds

Originally posted by SpikedSupra
Its important(at least to me) to be in an environment where I am not going to be hassled and I am around friendly people.
:D
I agree.

move away from the Deli :D

A couple of miles added to the daily drag seems easier to deal with than having to worry about if you have equipment to work with the next day.

Matt? how the Hell do you do landscaping & Tree work without a truck?

LMAO I have 6 and would like at least 1 more. :cool:

Actually Dave, it's pretty simple why I don't have a truck; I crashed my old one last year and used the money from that to pay off bills. I have tried NUMEROUS times to get a loan for a new truck... but each time I try... I get turned down. I do have good credit. But I don't have enough... so, "Sorry, no loan for you." I used to work for 1 woman who's grandfather started the bank I keep my money with. Her father was the president after his father. I tried using her name to get a loan... got me NOTHING. I tried to get a loan from Sheffield this year for a mower with 50% down... they said "no loan for you" I had good credit, but not enough. My attitude right now with credit is... F--- it, what's it gonna do for me? Hasn't done me a drop of good yet. My parents refuse to co-sign a loan for me as they have done enough for me already. My only hope right now is to get a nice sized job and use some of the down payment in order to purchase a truck. I really miss drivin trucks too. Drivin around in my car is no where near the same as when I had my truck. Even though it was a POS.

Matt? sorry to hear of the trouble you have had with banks. I try not to use credit as well. How do you move your mowers around?

Latest posts

Back