Do you throw it down or set it down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think west coast loggers are known for this. Obviously not owner-operators, but people running saws they don't own. Some of the saws I have received from the west coast have been beaten like a red headed stepchild. The amazing thing is that the older saws could take this kind of punishment and still keep going. Especially the old Homelites, like the 1020/ 1050/ 2100.

Watched a YouTube vid of a guy falling a rather large one and was shocked to see him drop the saw when the tree started to fall. Sounds like it happens more often than not! It was more of a "I'm not taking this extra weight with me as I get away from this falling tree!" kind of drop. IMO

I like to keep my saws in one piece. I don't have a lot of money in them, but they do make trees short enough to put in my stove.

Watched a YouTube vid of a guy falling a rather large one and was shocked to see him drop the saw when the tree started to fall. Sounds like it happens more often than not! It was more of a "I'm not taking this extra weight with me as I get away from this falling tree!" kind of drop. IMO

I like to keep my saws in one piece. I don't have a lot of money in them, but they do make trees short enough to put in my stove.

If you get into a situation where you need to run, and sometimes it happens, you can run a lot faster without the saw. I always try to take the saw with me but they're an expendable...I'm not.

I've always set them down.

I once set a seized Homelite down on the side of a tree repeatedly, holding it gently by the bar.

If you get into a situation where you need to run, and sometimes it happens, you can run a lot faster without the saw. I always try to take the saw with me but they're an expendable...I'm not.

Yeah...broken saws are cheaper than broken bones. Also good to toss the saw when stumbling into a bald faced hornet's nest. Trying to get away from them one time and the tip of my bar caught the ground and sort of pole vaulted me. Little bastards lit me up good. I swelled up real good :laugh:

Yup. Thin the herd. Now!

Well i did leave a call with the owner to get back to me, and talked to a guy that used to work with that crew and he named the Culls and said the two culls are always breaking $hit kind of an inlaw thing sounds like, and I was wrong it wasnt a MS440 it was a new with in the last year MS460:(

Now I have this vision in my head of a faller with things going gunnysack on a tree he's falling, and he very gently does a curtsy, not a bend, places the saw gently on the ground, and then takes off to get out of the way. Perhaps wearing a pink tutu over the rigging pants.... Oh, and be sure to dust off the saw before running to get out of harm's way. A swiffer duster can easily be carried for that job....

!

i don't care if i am running a poulan wild thingy (saw trolls favorite saw) i never drop my saws,, i set them down on the ground like they are made of eggs,,, i agree,, it's not his saw

Every time I drop a tree, I spike it in the endzone!

This might be why I have over 100 parts saws... I'm a slow learner

Hey! I just made it to over 700 posts! Time to spike a minimac (damn that felt good)!

Last edited:
Now I have this vision in my head of a faller with things going gunnysack on a tree he's falling, and he very gently does a curtsy, not a bend, places the saw gently on the ground, and then takes off to get out of the way. Perhaps wearing a pink tutu over the rigging pants.... Oh, and be sure to dust off the saw before running to get out of harm's way. A swiffer duster can easily be carried for that job....

!

Hmmmph...shouldn't you be out re-stacking your wood pile? :msp_wink:

I have a couple of saws that I think the world of but I'd toss 'em in a minute if things called for it. It gets expensive but that's just part of the deal.

Last edited:
Every time I drop a tree, I spike it in the endzone!
This might be why I have over 100 parts saws... I'm a slow learner

Hey! I just made it to over 700 posts! Time to spike a minimac (damn that felt good)!

That exactly what some of the videos look like - not I'm lightening the load and getting out of here but "Hey, look what I have done!" I don't get it. I do get dropping (or tossing) the saw and running - I've done that a few times. Maybe it's the fault of plastic saws. I can't remember if it was Stihl or Husky that ran the commericals dragging a plastic handled saw and a North American all metal saw behind a truck - of course the plastic survived and the metal broke.

What I also don't understand is why the bottoms of so many saws look like they were either in that commerical or were sitting on the asphalt or gravel and left running. This seems to be a coast to coast matter and seems less prevalent with the larger saws that loggers typically use so I am inclined to discount that the damage is from the ride in the truck.

Ron

PNW logger lingo....a "turn" of logs is more than one. Usually referred to in a sense of skidding or yarding. Like...'that was a good turn, it had six logs in it" or " that turn was a waste of time, quit dragging junk in"... Or, in the case of helicopter logging, making sure the turns are just heavy enough not to exceed allowable weight.

Last edited:
Falling on slopes, sometimes a toss up the hill in a spot you KNOW the saw won't roll down hill from is usually a necessity.

After awhile, I'm sure the experienced guys can find a spot to toss a saw to on the run.

Sounds like some people here need a silver platter to set their saws on... while in a case.

i set my saws down generally. i realize that a short drop shouldn't hurt them especially seeing what some saws go through, but i dont have the money or time to be repairing or replacing some of my saws just because the joint at my hip would rather not bend. of course these clowns didn't own the saws... thats apparent. as for me i wouldn't do mine like that or anyone elses' for that matter. i try to have the same appreciation for other people's things as i do my own. even a slavedriving bossman. ya i've got one of those too. this site is a chainsaw addicts forum. who here would throw your mother or child or something down. we all love our saws guys. thats why we're here. lets take care of them.

loco

Latest posts

Back