Do you wear your chaps while splitting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't own chaps, go on Youtube and search chainsaw or chainsaw chaps and I bet you will go buy a pair!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont bet on it. The only reason I bought a pair was because I had to wear them in order to cut some free firewood on property that it was required. The cost of the wood was worth more than the chaps so I bought them and went to work. I split all my wood by hand and have never beat up my shins, Im not quite sure how you could unless you have a very poor aim. Even running a splitter the chunks fall off then end and not on my legs... might have one occasionally drop on my toe but thats why I wear composite toes.

If you don't own chaps, go on Youtube and search chainsaw or chainsaw chaps and I bet you will go buy a pair!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry for my previous post. I meant it for cat-face. If he needs any more info, I can give him the name of a buddy of mine who is an er doc. His description of treating saw wounds is horrific.

I was splitting the other day and had to cut a few long pieces before I started so I put my chaps on.
I forgot to take them off and split the truck and trailer load up.
After getting home I noticed that my legs were free of the bumps and bruises that I normally get.
Split another load today and never had the saw out so no chaps.
My legs are kind of beat up and one pretty good bruise.

I think I am going to start wearing my chaps all the time when splitting.
Ether that or start going really slow and be really careful as the splits fall off the splitter.

Chad

dang I'm all about safety but come on. might as well wear a hard hat all day too.

I ONLY wear chaps when splitting wood. It's the only way the gal's in the neighborhood let me split. Pics upcoming.

I wouldn't bet anything of value on that, 'cause you'll lose. I've seen all sorts of videos and I still ain't bought a pair... and i seriously doubt I ever will (I don't wear my seat belt or a motorcycle helmet either). I ain't sayin' anyone is right or wrong... it-is-what-it-is.

...a buddy of mine who is an er doc. His description of treating saw wounds is horrific.
I've been to the ER a couple of times for chainsaw wounds, and I've seen worse wounds than my own... still ain't bought a pair.
By-the-way, only one of those wounds could have been avoided by wearing chaps.

I don't cut without em anymore and if you do you are a fool
So... you're callin' me a fool?? You're being just a bit judgmental, don't ya' think??
Have you ever used a ladder to get on a roof without securing said ladder to the eave?? Some would say you're a fool (I wouldn't say that, I don't judge).
Have you ever been in a boat without wearing a life-saving flotation device?? Some would not only call you a fool, they'd say you were an idiot (as for me, I live by the "judge not, and ye shall not be judged" ideology).
Ever used a drill or any power tool without eye protection?? For that matter, have you ever used a hammer without eye protection??
Ever cut the round "grounding" prong off a three prong electrical plug??
Ever walked at night without reflective clothing??
Ever bypassed a safety cut-off switch on power equipment... or removed a safety shield or belt guard??

I will make this call though...
Only a fool would believe "safety equipment" or a "safety devise" makes him safer... the primary purpose of such things is to protect the fool from himself.
"Safety" is in the mindset, not the equipment.

I'm hesitant to call anyone a fool mainly because I've participated in more than my share of AShattery in my life.

I will say that chaps are a smart investment just like other recommended chainsaw PPE. Accidents, by definition, may occur with even the best training, planning, and state of mind. Chaps simply reduce and sometimes even prevent damage and suffering when the accident occurs.

My splitter has a 4 way on it. It's pretty hard to get your hands on all 4 pieces. It's very easy for the bottom piece on the side I'm standing on to fall and hit my leg or foot. I just learned to stand out of the way as best I can and I've learned to have quick feet. Sure I get hit every now and then but I do most of my work in the summer and I live in shorts and sneakers. I can take the bruise on the shin much better than wearing unneeded clothes and sweating more than I already have to. Chaps while splitting?? Seems beyond unnecessary for my liking.

Chaps simply reduce and sometimes even prevent damage and suffering when the accident occurs.
L-O-L You've almost got that correct... "Chaps simply reduce" the potential for "damage and suffering when the accident occurs."

It's all relative...
If you're riding your motorcycle at 165 MPH and a panel truck pulls out in front of you, what difference does it make if you're wearing a helmet or not?? The difference is an open casket or closed casket funeral... either way, you're still dead. Your death is the result of an accident; but the question of the helmet shouldn't even be raised, the question should be... why in hell are you riding your bike at 165 MPH on a public roadway??

Now I know that's not exactly the same thing, but where do you start and stop with it. OK, so chaps protect the front of your legs from chain cuts... so why ain't you wearing armor on your arms, chest, shoulders and whatnot?? If you say it's because the potential for cuts is greatest to the legs... I'll say the greatest potentials for injury when using a chainsaw have nothing to do with the moving chain at all. You're much more likely to have a tree fall on you, or a dead-fall roll over on you... or for that matter, you're more likely to trip, fall and split your fool head open on a rock. The question shouldn't be whether-or-not you're wearing chaps, the question should be... why the hell was the moving chain that close to your friggin' leg??

Who lit the fuse on Spidey's Tampon?

I wear my chaps while splitting, because I like the way my butt looks in them....

I have to find the pic of me wearing basketball shorts, and chaps. I do have my helmetsheildmuffs, and boots on. No shirt.

....but dang, I look like a really safe- bed wetter.

I kind of move a few logs, cut a few rounds, then split a few rounds, then stack a few rounds.... between beers.

You should see the totally safe goober I am when opening a coldie decked out in my logger garb- I am so cool.

Safe. but cool.

So when I do, they're on....

HOLY **** Thorton I hope that is not your foot... PSA anyone? that looks... awesome kinda like an over done split open hotdog....poof chunks o meat everwar

No just something off the net when we were searching for some axe accidents
Don't even know if it's axe related

Latest posts

Back