Do you wear your chaps while splitting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys, this thread went from wearing chaps while SPLITTING, then went to not wearing them cutting. then to insults. lets get back on subject. Do you wear them while SPLITTING not anything else. There are plenty of threads on wearing chaps while cutting. All of it is a personal preference and we all have to deal with our own actions and consequences. good or bad.
thank you SS.:clap:

All PPE is designed for is to reduce the severity of an injury should an accident occur. Personally, I'm sick of more PPE being thrown at every incident. On my job you have to wear a hardhat with a 4 point chinstrap, safety glasses with the foam inserts that block all your peripheral vision,long sleeved fire retardant shirts and pants, steel toed lace up boots (no slip ons allowed), ear plugs and gloves. And these have to be worn every where no matter what.

As far as splitting wood goes, I've been splitting for almost 40 years with axes and mauls, I feel bare hands give a better grip and control than any gloves, when swinging an axe. And I have never even came close to hitting a foot or leg with an axe in all that time. I don't own chaps.

preach on brother, I used to work at a job like that in a mill.........all that gear on and be soaked with sweat before we even got moving.

On the other hand I cant believe some of the stuff I read on here. splitting wood in shorts? flip flops?

How about actually being dressed for work as in steel toe boots, long pants, ear and eye protection........

That would be even better than chaps, I think.

I would send someone home if they showed up to split wood in shorts........unless it was a girl;)

How about actually being dressed for work as in steel toe boots, long pants, ear and eye protection........

I think I have some steel toe boots somewhere... I think...
I do wear ear protection when shooting or cuttin' the grass...
I slip on safety glasses (with side shields) when I use the angle grinder only because I'm tired of ruining my $500.00 prescription bi-focal lenses...
Heck, I'll attack any job wearing shorts, but it does tend to get a might uncomfortable when stick welding... especially when some of that hot stuff falls inside the canvas deck shoes.

I started this thread because I like the fact that I could take a pretty good hit from the spits with the chaps that I wouldn't want to try without them.
I was wondering if I was the only one that thought that way.
Wear them if ya like.
I should get some steel toe shoes someday.
When I split two pieces at once I have a hard time holding the lever and all 4 splits at the same time.

I have not had a problem with the maul or the axe. I did once have a wedge pop out and land on my toe, ouch.
Chad

I don't go out of my way to put on chaps for splitting. If I have them on for sawing and then decide to start splitting, then I'll keep them on if the weather is cool. Other than that, it's just jeans, steel toe boots, and eye protection (ear protection, too, if using my gas powered splitter).

I use a splitting tire whenever mr. fiskars comes out. Have had a couple blow throughs when I first got it and just had that thing whizz by..eek.

I don't own chaps either, I got the full cutting pants instead..ha!
If longer handled axes and mauls are used and the rounds are setting on the ground or a VERY low block that will keep any mislicks well away from contact with your person. Conversely, short handled tools and higher splitting blocks increase the chances of hitting yourself while splitting.

If longer handled axes and mauls are used and the rounds are setting on the ground or a VERY low block that will keep any mislicks well away from contact with your person. Conversely, short handled tools and higher splitting blocks increase the chances of hitting yourself while splitting.

Mine is the original 28 inch length. Those referenced incidents were a lot of splitting blocks ago, I don't recall exactly how high it was. Most likely high though, similar 16 inch rounds. I switched to using a tire soon after I read about using them here. I will use my big maul with rounds directly on the ground, but that's it, no other axe thing.

preach on brother, I used to work at a job like that in a mill.........all that gear on and be soaked with sweat before we even got moving.

On the other hand I cant believe some of the stuff I read on here. splitting wood in shorts? flip flops?

That would be even better than chaps, I think.

I would send someone home if they showed up to split wood in shorts........unless it was a girl;)

You wouldn't last a day in Florida. I'm not the one wearing flip flops, but shorts are just one way to avoid heat stroke

I don't wear my chaps while splitting but I do wear soccer shin guards.
I get them at Wall Mart $5.00 a pair.

No shorts but this is how it's done!
I might have worked bare foot when I was younger and a few pounds (like 60) lighter but now the soles of my feet are to tender so the sandals or flip flops are needed.

Ok guys, this thread went from wearing chaps while SPLITTING, then went to not wearing them cutting. then to insults. lets get back on subject. Do you wear them while SPLITTING not anything else. There are plenty of threads on wearing chaps while cutting. All of it is a personal preference and we all have to deal with our own actions and consequences. good or bad.
actually,,hdp started it,,,sooo,,,,,,,,,,,low post count troll.................

Latest posts

Back