Does a fallen tree retain moisture

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kas7227

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a large red oak that fell 2 years ago. Will this wood still be green since it has not been cut and split?

Yup. Oak, cut and split takes almost 2 summers to season. Wood dries fastest through the cut ends, the longer the cut lengths the slower it will dry, so it's a good bet this tree is still pretty green. IF you had cut it up into some shorter lengths when it was dropped then you'd be way further ahead.

I have a large red oak that fell 2 years ago. Will this wood still be green since it has not been cut and split?

We had one at the farm that had been dead so long the bark was nearly off the whole tree. We did burn it with in a couple of months of dropping, blocking, and splitting. The split wood would have been much better with another few months of seasoning time.

It should dry out much faster than fresh cut. I season much of my wood in 8-20 foot lengths. Logs that sit high and dry for two years usually dry out in less than a month when cut and split. Oak may take a bit longer. Not saying its better than seasoning cut and split for a year or two but it does work. Many commercial firewood operations season firewood in log form. Seasoning in log form also reduces the risk of ending up with moldy wood that no one will buy - especially when we get a wet summer like the one that just past.

Yes, it does retain its moisture. There has been some debate recently that leaving the leaves on for a short time to accelerate the drying is effective or not. But it is pretty much agreed that the trunk will rot before it dries out if left to lay. Even after the bark falls off most of the drying is done through the ends. The cell structure is designed to carry water/sap/nutients from end to end like a series of straws instead of from side to side like a sponge.

Once the wood is rotted enough that it acts like a sponge it is getting too late to make useful firewood from it.

This past week we were cutting up downed Oak trees. Down so long the wood was completely dry all the way through. Tree was 22" diamter just above the roots flare.

Maybe that isn't the norm, but we do have quite a bit of that stuff around the farm.

Split and stack under cover

"Wood dries fastest through the cut ends, the longer the cut lengths the slower it will dry"

"Even after the bark falls off most of the drying is done through the ends."

This past week we were cutting up downed Oak trees. Down so long the wood was completely dry all the way through. Tree was 22" diamter just above the roots flare.

Maybe that isn't the norm, but we do have quite a bit of that stuff around the farm.

On topic: Yes it will be green still.

Off topic, relating to PA Plummer's quote: Oak is pretty remarkable in its ability to resist rot. I've cut and burnt dead and down bark-off red oak that land owners have estimated to be 10-20ish years.

Unlike maple, birch, and other species, red oak rots from the outside in. For some reason rotting from inside hastens punkiness.

I'd still get it bucked and split earlier rather than later.

Yes. I just cut up a bunch of Pines that have been down since November 2006. They were not lying on the Forrest Floor but lying across other Dead Fall Still a little too wet for me to burn in my wood stove and they had a South west exposure. But once Split I bet they will be ready by Dec all of them are from 8'' to 16'' nothing big just a little too wet for my liking and light enough I can stuff 3/4 of a cord in my truck and not have the bumper drag. lol

Well, im glad I read this thread.

Not to change the subject too much, but I dropped and bucked a standing dead(bark on) burr oak in may. just brought it home and split it yesterday. Will it be ready in a month? Its some damn good wood and I want it to season good. I guess I should probably wait?:cheers:

Well, im glad I read this thread.

Not to change the subject too much, but I dropped and bucked a standing dead(bark on) burr oak in may. just brought it home and split it yesterday. Will it be ready in a month? Its some damn good wood and I want it to season good. I guess I should probably wait?:cheers:

Since the bark was on, it probably hadn't been dead too long. I'd say it will take more than a month. Oak really holds the moisture. I cut/split/stacked a standing dead Red Oak mid-summer. Bark and all but the large branches had fallen off, and it still had a fair amount of moisture in it. It's dried and good to go now, though.

Also depends on if the rounds were out in the sun or if they were laying on wet ground.

cut and split and stack in a sunny spot soon after cutting

dries within a year

stack it so the ends face prevailing winds

Latest posts

Back