does a groundman need to supply his own saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oddly enough noone brought up this point. Most tree companies have about 10% of their staff who can actually sharpen and run a chainsaw properly. If you are capable at both bring your own. Otherwise you will be sharpening the climbers saws, the bucking saws, etc. The whole time you will still be treated like crap cause you are the new groundman. If you can use the tool bring it, it deminstrates a level of commitment that is lacking in this industry.:chainsaw:

P_woozel said:
Oddly enough noone brought up this point. Most tree companies have about 10% of their staff who can actually sharpen and run a chainsaw properly. If you are capable at both bring your own. Otherwise you will be sharpening the climbers saws, the bucking saws, etc. The whole time you will still be treated like crap cause you are the new groundman. If you can use the tool bring it, it deminstrates a level of commitment that is lacking in this industry.:chainsaw:
That is pathetic if only 10% of people can sharpen a saw at a tree co., not that way in my exp. but as far as groundsman go here more than 10% can sharpen a saw, but can they do it good? When I started working for a tree serv. after working in the bush, people really liked the fact that I could put a good edge on a saw, they didn't treat me llike crap. The more you do it (sharpen) the better and faster you get, groundsmen should get this ability asap.

P_woozel said:

Think that was my original point.

I took on a new groudie been to college to study arb, climbing and saw work etc ,still couldn't sharpen a saw..

Training and standards. If more guys foucused on this it would help qualify all the yapping that gets done.:chainsaw:

P_woozel said:
Training and standards. If more guys foucused on this it would help qualify all the yapping that gets done.:chainsaw:
Very good, I am pretty good at sharpening now, years ago people took some time to show me how, thats why. Thanks.

about the saw

as a crew leader, my experience with a neewbie that has his own saw is that its much harder to show them anything just because Thad already know everything,lol, and they are very eager to tell you that and dont like to listen at all. at my company all neewbies are required to wear chaps and get lots of 1 on1 attention with the saw before they are set loose on there own with a chainsaw and the company gladly will assign you a saw when the time comes that you show you are capable of using a saw safely and can properly maintain the saw, if you are not able to maintain the saw you will not have a saw to call your own

sorry 1 thing i forgot

the saws that you could be assigned are all stihl products ms200,ms360.ms440,ms460 or if you are lucky ms660 go stihl they are the best saws in the world, and i dont work for stihl if anyone is looking i have a stihl 020t my personal saw that i am trying to sell, saw does not look the best but runs strong and very relaible i got a new one id like to get 300.00 but i can take offers if anyone is interested i can run it through ebay with a buy it now price just so we have a papertrail and so you knwo i am not trying to rip anyone off or anything like that [email protected] i am not pressed on selling it so if no one wants it no big deal thanks alot

Back