Does a rip cut dull a chisel chain quicker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ripping from the side is much faster and friendlier to the equipment and user, than from the end.
+1, QFT! The end rip has only one advantage that I can see. If you get to within 2" to 4" from the ground if standing on end, you can easily hand split the log the rest of the way. Hand splitting on end is a little easier for me than from the side because otherwise the log rolls around.

However, I hate sawdust so I usually rip cut sideways when I have to. Regardless, my gut feeling is that I can cross buck saw all day and the chain stays sharp almost to the end. If I rip cut that same amount of wood, especially from the end grain, I doubt the edge would remain that way. To be sure, I have not bothered to test this theory.

Depends on what one calls a rip cut. Ripping (end grain) like a CSM is definitely harder on a chain edge than any other type of wood cutting. Ask any experienced CSM er.

Ignoring the issue of mineral in bark, cutting sidegrain noodles dulls the chain the least per unit of wood removed of any type of cut. (Least severed fibers.)

Crosscutting is generally the easiest on the saw as this is exactly what saws were designed for and chip clearance efficiency is higher than noodling in the general case.

Last edited:
Gotta admit it

Got caught in a generalization.

Mine actually.

I should have been more specific. In this instance by what was described I see no way that the chain would be "trashed"

Perhaps there are some that would attempt to split a round this way but it is the slowest way of performing the job that I can think of which becomes apparent when one attempts it.

I cannot argue that cutting straight on with the grain with a log standing that the chain will wear more quickly.

He stated that he was splitting rounds making curls which says to me he was cutting with the round laying down not standing on end.

So I did over generalize and I try very hard not to do so.

Thank you for pointing that out.

A old thread brought to life again;) Since I don't own a splitter I rip length wise all my bigger rounds especially the ones that are full of knots like big spruces trees. Only cut them about half way or a 1/4 through then one hit with the mall and they are done. I am anal about keeping my chain Sharp but have never noticed a diff but then I am only cutting 1.5 cords max at a time that's all I can bring back with me. Then only 10 to 20 rounds need to be ripped to make my life easier.But I bag up my noodle's and give them to the crazy girl in the office at work for her rodents.

Back