How Does Dirt Dull a Chainsaw Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuelanali

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
318430223_10160499520659928_4985103693801772486_n.jpg
Cutting into dirt dulls a chainsaw chain” - I know that. ( In fact, I've lost 4 of my chainsaw chains this way!)

But I'm curious to know the SCIENCE behind it.

Dirt is soft, wood is much HARDER, then how come dirt dulls a chainsaw chain (almost) INSTANTLY?

This question might sound a bit “newbish 🐸,” but I'm sure there're some people here who want to know the same.

So, if you know the answer, HIT ME with it!

Also, any tips on how to prevent a chainsaw from hitting the dirt would be appreciated!

Happy Sawing! 🙂

View attachment 1057297
Cutting into dirt dulls a chainsaw chain” - I know that. ( In fact, I've lost 4 of my chainsaw chains this way!)

But I'm curious to know the SCIENCE behind it.

Dirt is soft, wood is much HARDER, then how come dirt dulls a chainsaw chain (almost) INSTANTLY?

This question might sound a bit “newbish 🐸,” but I'm sure there're some people here who want to know the same.

So, if you know the answer, HIT ME with it!

Also, any tips on how to prevent a chainsaw from hitting the dirt would be appreciated!

Happy Sawing! 🙂

Wood may be much harder than dirt ,but by no means is as abrasive.
Dirt is made mainly of two parts in
different percentages :
1 ) Organic matter : Fresh ,decaying or decayed .
Not really an issue for the chain .

2 ) Mineral matter: Ranging in size
from nanoparticles to rocks .
Diverse also regarding their chemistry .Could be limestone ,sandstone,granite and many more.The mineral matter is what
-extremely easily- dulls the chain.

If working low near the ground or
cutting dirty/muddy wood ,
then you may consider a chain
with carbide/ceramic cutters.

No matter how careful one is ,
working near the ground level with a chainsaw ,
the chain eventually will hit the dirt .Not easy at all to have surgical precision when using a chainsaw.

Note:The cutter on the photo hit
most probably a rock ,not just dirt .

Chains can be sharpened. If you hit abrasive dirt a lot, cut into metal in a tree, or cut low on a tree that is growing near a gravel road, your chain sharpness will be adversely affected. That last example is proven when you are cutting at night (not recommended) and you see sparks flying. Sparks from the chain hitting granite sand. As others mentioned, dirt and clay is almost always made of lots of decomposing things. It could be leaves or it could be granite, limestone, sandstone, garnet, quartz or other items that can be used to make sandpaper and grinding wheels. Leaves do not make good abrasives but other things in dirt can make good abrasives.

It is amazing how bad a chain can look when running a 36" in a 60" gosh darn yard tree and hit steel

You might want to try bull riding instead of cutting wood,less chance to do that much damage
why do internal combustion engines have air filters? Because dirt and dust is bad stuff. Why do dumb people keep asking dumb questions?

When I got in the tree biz back in the mid 80's we would come across cement in dead and dying trees a lot.

It was a standard practice before that to fill tree cavities with cement.

It would really 'grind down' a chain. Some of it was pretty soft but it still wore the chain badly.

As the tree trunk decayed away internally the cement would accumulate near ground level and make for some really depressing stump cuts with a distinct cement odor.

I've cut cement hundreds of times sometimes at a pretty good height in the tree.

Back