How Long Does a Chainsaw Chain Stay Sharp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuelanali

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Let's say it's a SUNNY day 🌞 , and you're out in your yard. Your chainsaw chain is sharp and ready to cut off those logs. You start cutting through wood without any BREAK!

Now, here's what I want to know: 👇

How long does your chainsaw chain stay sharp? Or in other words, How often do you usually sharpen your chain? (hours or number of cuts or days)?

👉 Actually, I'm writing an article about chainsaws, so I just wanted to get some insight into how long a chain stay sharp.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers! :)

Howdy Partner, I think that is a Texas greeting. Sam when your saw quits bringing big chips out and is only producing sawdust fines that looks like powder then its time to sharpen. I hand file and hit each tooth about 3 strokes. Make sure all the teeth get the same number of strokes. When you become proficient in filing then you can master the art of touch up and then you will be sharp all the time. Check out Madsen's Chainsaw Tips & Tricks https://www.madsens1.com/chainsaw-tips-tricks

Chain can be dull before the first cut is complete after sharpening, cause
1 Dirt in the log. Dirt is really small rocks. Chain has no chance
2 Bar tip hit the dirt.
3 metal in the log. Can be just a small nail.
4 Tree grew by a gravel road. Rock dust embedded in the wood.

Anybody halfway serious about cutting wood MUST learn to sharpen their own chain. If they don't they will spend $$$$ on new chains and sharpening services.

If im cutting nice clean wood full chisel chain needs a touch up every 2-3 tanks of gas, with semi chisel I go twice that long. The chain will still be cutting half decent after this amount of time but has slowed down a bit and is what some call "wood dull" it is quick and easy to sharpen when it's wood dull.
If you hit dirt, your chain will be dull instantly, this can happen in a few minutes with certain logs. When you dull the chain hitting dirt, it takes a bunch more filing to get it back to sharp.

The best advice has been given already. There's no set time frame. Conditions and chain type/manufacturer will determine how long till it needs sharpened. Dull is also very subjective, what one person thinks is dull is another's sharp. I don't personally get to the point where I'm making dust till it's rime to sharpen.

As said, the variables are endless. Hardwood vs. softwood. Frozen wood or not. Clean wood or dirty conditions. The least bit of mineral material (dirt, stone, etc.) will dull the chain in an instant. Thus there's no answer that would be correct in all instances.

We've all had a new or freshly sharpened chain that encountered a nail or screw invisible beneath the bark, and the chain is instantly dull in the first few seconds of use.

If sharpened correctly- the cutters stay sharp until you use the saw.

How long you want to leave it until you touch the cutters up is up to the individual user.
Most experienced cutters will touch up the cutters as they go- less experienced will cut until they notice the chain is dull, or starts smoking in the cut and then spend a heck of a lot more time resharpening.

How long is a piece of string? Is it closer to Cleveland than by bus? Do you walk to work -- or carry your lunch? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Others will surely differ, but I've found that a chainsaw chain generally stays sharp until it isn't. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Back