Does anyone else only use their chain one time!?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Va.

XPW Fan Club
Reaction score
I was browsing Ebay and found this listing. I'll post it for you guys to check out.

2 Stihl 20" 3/8" .050 Chainsaw 72 DL Chain - eBay (item 180607518545 end time Jan-08-11 22:13:39 PST)

Seems the guy uses a chain one time and then gets rid of it. Says it's easier to replace, rather to sharpen in the field. How can anyone afford it I'll never know.

I was wondering if anyone else here does it this way. If so, why? :biggrinbounce2:

The fool must have more money than brains

Is it a rental place selling the chains? I bought 6 a few years back from bay that came off saws that were rented and when they come back the chain is automatically replaced regardless of condition. I got 6 green link still .050 3/8 20" for 60 shipped. 4 of them where like new condition and the other 2 green link needed touching up. I was even lucky enough that they threw in 3 more standard stihl chains same size that also needed the first sharpnings. So 9 for $60 I was a happy camper.

Just checked that listing and I guess it's not a rental place. I wish I could do that. What do these chains cost new?

Last edited:
I wonder what "one time" means? One day, one tree, one cut, one week?

OK I can fully understand not field sharpening, but he isn't selling these chains from the field.

gee, there is a superstar saw modder on this site that destroys brand new saws on a daily basis,i wonder if he is selling chains now too?

No,i dont sell chains :)

looking at your sig,,is that you that has a shop and builds saws ??

Most likely the chains are coming from a rental place, perhaps the seller works in the shop there and they give him the chains just to get rid of them. Replacing the chain with every rental is a pretty common practice.

166896d1294022168-australia-057-jpg

Mark

Last edited:
As cheap as they're selling for, I would like to jump on a few. Only thing that turns me off them is the "professional sharpened" part. I figured it would be taking a chance on buying a bunch of machine sharpened used chains from Ebay.

As cheap as they're selling for, I would like to jump on a few. Only thing that turns me off them is the "professional sharpened" part. I figured it would be taking a chance on buying a bunch of machine sharpened used chains from Ebay.

I thought I was getting a killer deal when I bought the 6 green link 20" stihls'. I was in a hurry to get ONE spare and wound up with 9 @ the time.

These even come clean and sharpened. Mine came with oil and sap and never sharpened, didn't even have to sharpen 4 of them.

Most likely the chains are coming from a rental place, perhaps the seller works in the shop there and they give him the chains just to get rid of them. Replacing the chain with every rental is a pretty common practice.

166896d1294022168-australia-057-jpg

Mark

Looks like Mr T's Necklaces......

yeh,but there is only one that really likes to pat himself on the anytime he can.......

WTF does this have to do with chains being used one time???:deadhorse::deadhorse:
I was going to buy some that were on rental saws once but they were beat to hell...I figured that joe the homeowner tried to cut fence, concrete and who know what else. I had to pass!! Steve

yeh,but there is only one that really likes to pat himself on the anytime he can.......

You came back again?

Hows your saw dealership going? How many secret prototypes did you get in this week? How's your make believe 261 with a weed whacker serial number doing? Do you like the bump head feature?

Are you going to call everyone on the board a Homo, Idiot, or Stupid again today?

I used to do that on my little poulan. I have never been any good at filing a chain, butcher them every time. It cost me $8 each to have them sharpened or $15 for two new chains, easy pick for me. I have a local feller that will grind them for $2 each now, he has a fancy grinder and just like to show it off. In all honesty I could probably get him to pay me for just for stopping by, with a hand full of chains, and shooting the bull for a while.

gee, there is a superstar saw modder on this site that destroys brand new saws on a daily basis,i wonder if he is selling chains now too?

Man taking a jab from afar....you wake up from the wrong side of the bed this year

Hmmm....supersportygirl (the seller) has 100% positive feedback.

I do have to say that if someone's good at sharpening, it really doesn't take long at all to touch up a chain when you fuel up. I just have to wonder how it's easier to replace than sharpen unless the firewood she's selling is being cut from fence row trees.

Just got an email back from the seller.

My email was a follows:
Being that these are Stihl chains, what color is the colored link on the side? Also, what do you mean by "professionally sharpened?" Have they been hand sharpened or on a grinding machine? Can you post a picture of a closeup of the cutters?

Answer was:
Can't really get a closeup. The links are; half are red, half are green. Sharpened on a grinding machine from a saw shop. These chains have 85 percent or better life left. I also have brand new ones I have not listed yet. Thanks.

Um......does Stihl have a red link chain it sells in a region other than mine??? Since I'm thinking not so much, I'm also thinking this person is colorblind or doesn't have a clue what they're selling.

Last edited:
Back