Does anyone have a love for the Stihl 009-011 Series

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racerboy832

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Everytime I buy a package of saws I end up with a couple. Most of the time they aren't even scored pistons, Is there anyone out there that has a love for them. I have about 10 of them. I'd even trade for something.

Ahhhh.....the fond memories of trying to find that one needle bearing that got away :laugh:

I have a 009L That is probably the most reliable and best runing saw that I have. Evertime my grandson borrows it he comes back and says "Papaw I like that saw" and my reply is "son that is a $150.00 Saw". I am not going to give it to you. Tom

I'm partial to them. I always seem to have 2 or 3 around. I use for trail work and thinning. They seem to be more relieable than the new saws with bulbs. Also, it takes awhile to get comfortable with working on this saw series. Is it as fun as working on a, for example, an 044? Depends on what tickles your fancy. deereguy

For the value of a mag case saw that is light and full of torque my 012 is great. Always starts and never complains.

Takes a bit getting used to a saw that don't turn 14,000 rpms but still moves well through wood.

I do lots of them. Pretty easy to work on and the only troubles seem to be when the sliding choke doesn't seal off the carb and makes them impossible to start. (Easy fix for that) They really like new rings and a good piston, in fact if the compression goes a little low they can be really hard make run right. I like the later carb with the bigger venturi but the earlier one can be OK. The rear handle versions are pretty ugly but a lot nicer to use with their AV.
I can never understand why people find them hard to work on or use.

Last edited:
i had one when i was 9 year old it was a good little saw till mom wouldnt let me use it nomore

I like em but have a bunch already... Biggest complaint is the small gas tank. Especially if its a 012.. The 009 weren't so thirsty but still always filling the tank.

Everytime I buy a package of saws I end up with a couple. Most of the time they aren't even scored pistons, Is there anyone out there that has a love for them. I have about 10 of them. I'd even trade for something.

Funny story !!!

Same happens to me(009) . I got paid $25 to take one away one time. Saw ran like crap. I figured it needed a carby redo. Took the saw apart and could not follow the logic of such a mixmatched bag of nuts screws and bolts. Felt like working on a husky ( hehe). Anyway, i was given another one a few weeks ago that just needed fresh gas. This one runs great. Love it. Might actually go back and reassemble the other one now that i like this one so much.

So what is the consensus sell them all as a package or individually online? I am not going to spend the time getting them running. I just don't have the ambition.

nope

I "cut my teeth" learning chainsaw work on this series b/c they were cheap to get. I have about 7-8 of these things right now too... I plan on getting them running yet this winter and using them for loaners or for the 12-16 year old kids that come and help us on the local charity cuts.

They are pretty dang reliable and cut pretty decent too. I'd trade you for something but you'd have to take them out to Ray on long island and put them on the pallet I'm starting... LOL!

attachment.php

I already got a few.

View attachment 280325

Nardoo,

What did you do to fix the skidding choke problem. I used to have to remove cover and hold thumb over carb to get it to start. Though it has been starting ok recently (009L). Thanks.

Justin

Back