Does Anyone Have Any Other Hobbies Other Than Falling Timber and Working on Saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completely agree! I own 2 Savage rifles, my hunting rifle is a 110 in .308 wearing a Bushnell scope. Like yours, clover leafs at 100yds happen consistantly if I do my part. My other Savage rifle is in 17HMR. Synthetic stoc, stainless steel, bull barrel, and wearing powerful optics. You want to talk about tack driver? After 5 shots of that rifle you really start to get bored it's so accurate. To keep my interest going, I started putting 12ga shotgun shells in the target holder and shooting the primers at 100yds. It makes for a nice reactive target. I use spent shells too, and I have one that I put 4 shots all through the primer. It's a nice gun to shoot!
It's interesting to note that Savage bought Steven's. The Classic Steven's Favorite, still made today.
I once had a chance to buy a Savage Feather Weight, the same gun that the Mad Trapper of Rat River used to take out two Mounties, but the guy refused to sell it to me because he thought I was a murderer when the owner of the woodlot I was working in got killed by a bomb in the mail. Go figure.

Other than saws, I enjoy metal detecting and buying and selling books and literature about the North.
John

Not as much fun on the street but more dangerous due to the many idiots out there.

Fixed. :)

I don't ride street for that reason. If I woke up dead because some idiot talking on a cell phone took me out, I'd be really pissed. If I stuff a tree/rock and get dead, it's my fault. I can live with that. :)

some of mine............

splitting wood
working on saws
Yamaha YZF 750s
off roading
toyota 4x4 trucks
hunting
shooting
reloading
computers
welding

looking for Colt Anacondas in 45 Long Colt.

Last edited:
spitting wood
working on saws
Yamaha YZF 750s
off roading
toyota 4x4 trucks
hunting
shooting
reloading
computers
welding

looking for Colt Anacondas in 45 Long Colt.
I always wanted an Anaconda 44 Mag. to go with my 357 King Cobra..should have bought one when prices were much cheaper, now it's way out of my price range.

Tractor pulling announcer.

Deckerville TTPA last Friday

Ryan Schian In A Pickle IH 856 8000 Diesel Pro Stock
attachment.php

Ed Odoefer Coyote Ugly Oliver 88/Chevy 5500 V8 Hot Rod
attachment.php

Greg Harmon Case IH 7240 Super Farm
attachment.php

Jacob Shephard Alcohol Abuse Shephard & Jostock wedge frame/Stauffer hemi 6200 Modified
attachment.php

Joe Serdenkovski Ford F-350/Woodruff 12v Cummins 8000 2.8 Diesel Truck
attachment.php

It's interesting to note that Savage bought Steven's. The Classic Steven's Favorite, still made today.
I once had a chance to buy a Savage Feather Weight, the same gun that the Mad Trapper of Rat River used to take out two Mounties, but the guy refused to sell it to me because he thought I was a murderer when the owner of the woodlot I was working in got killed by a bomb in the mail. Go figure.

Other than saws, I enjoy metal detecting and buying and selling books and literature about the North.
John

Savage also recently bought Bowtech.

They're worse than Husqvarna, buying up all these other companies. :)

I have grown to love the Savage Arms rifles. They are robust, with no frills, and no bells and whistles, but every single one I have owned/fired have produced phenomenal groups for bone stock guns, and with very few mods, can be made into absolute tack drivers.

I would have to agree with you as well. I have a single-shot Savage MK1 .22 youth model. Dad bought it new for me when I was taking hunters ed. He wanted me to learn on a single shot, and we didn't have one. And its accurate with just iron sights.

I tell you another nice looking rifle you don't see alot is a ruger no.1 single shot.

They have the falling block action. This one is a 45-70. The accuracy of these rifles is hard to beat. I think they go for close to a grand though. Another one on my wish list. :)
DSCF2383.jpg

those are sweet.

I tell you another nice looking rifle you don't see alot is a ruger no.1 single shot.

They have the falling block action. This one is a 45-70. The accuracy of these rifles is hard to beat. I think they go for close to a grand though. Another one on my wish list. :)
DSCF2383.jpg

I always wanted one in a heavy barrelled .224 caliber.

tell me about it.

I always wanted an Anaconda 44 Mag. to go with my 357 King Cobra..should have bought one when prices were much cheaper, now it's way out of my price range.

I bought my first one new in 1994.I paid 499 for it.I doubt that is ever gonna happen again.Lucky for you the 44 mags are cheaper than the 45 LCs.

I wish I bought a King Cobra too.those are nice.Hard to beat the actions on a Colt double action.

Troopers are nice too and reasonably priced if you look around.

Collecting other things (naturally)...

Knives
Cars (full sized cars....and model/hot wheels cars too) 5 Pontiacs, a Dodge, and a Chrysler
Snowmobiles
DVDs

I'd collect Guns as well, but my dad is doing enough of that for the both of us.

Years ago i worked in a machine shop and had some "free" time while doing big cuts on a big lathe. So there was a smaller lathe right next to me sitting empty. So i picked up a junk GEW 88 8mm Mauser. Took off the old barrel and rethreaded a used Sako .243 in my "free" time at work. Re chambered it, and drilled for a scope and made a turned down bolt body and mig welded it on my bolt. I guess if i would have done that at my last job i would still be in jail. Plus i made a reloading press since i couldn't afford one and made 2 sets of shotgun dies for a free MEC loader i was given. All for 12 bucks an hour :)...Bob

Latest posts

Back