Does Anyone Have Any Other Hobbies Other Than Falling Timber and Working on Saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reload my own ammo due to the price of factory ammo here in NZ also reloading allows me to go to the range more often and punch holes in paper. Which reminds me I need to update my sig and include my marlin XL7 in 25-06, I also hunt and fish, and mess around on the PS3, I also do small computer repairs for freinds and I also do computer builds when I have to.

Nice collection SS. I realy dig the FAL, AR18, FNC, M14A1/E2, S&W76, BM59, 1903Springfield, 1903A3Springfield, 1917Enfield, and of course the 1919A4 and the M1A1 Thompson. Is that a CZ ZB26 or a BrEn gun? Really cool either way...:yourock:

Ever do the 'rental gun' thing at MG shoots? I ran an STG58, an MG34, and an MG42 (on a Lafette mount) at an MG shoot in Grants Pass, OR a few years ago. Maybe I rented from you. That was a real kick. I understand that shoot is now defunct............dead under unhappy circumstances...:cry:

That is a japenese type 99, I have two barrels for it. The original 7.7 and one chambered for 308 that i shoot mostly.

We used to have shoots all the time, Been to a bunch of them but never rented any out. We all just let each other shoot ours. Got to shoot and see a lot of different guns back then.

Those VOR's are cool. Nice KTM too.....1981 495MXC? I used to trail ride and race hare scrambles and a little MX, mostly during high school. I sold my last dirt bike (1990 ATK 406 Cross Country) after I banged up my knee pretty good in the 2002 Hollister Hare Scramble. Decided that being able to go to work and support the family was a priority. A friend just recently gave me a basket case 1975 Yamaha MX400. I'll get that running someday and fart around with it...

Actually the KTM is a 1979 420 MC80, the bikes I raced when I turned expert way back when, so lots of memories attached. Keep that Yamaha! There are classes for those oldies where that Yamaha can thrive! I still have the Bike I ran back in those AHMRA series races, it have been thrashed by 5 kids over the last 9 years but still runs, a 1982 Husqvarna XC-430 with a Steve Sage built suspension.

I did the gun, hunting, and reloading thing when I was out west. Most went away in a divorce and I never really wanted to revisit that part of life.

Last edited:
Yea, and alot of people around here think a .308 is inferior to a 30-06 too.

They don't know that when loaded with a 150 or 165gr bullet, that a .308 can actually pass a '06 in speed. And it's not until you get up to 180gr or higher that the extra case capacity of the '06 takes effect and beats the .308 out. The shorter case, for one, makes a 308 inherently more accurate than an '06 also.

Against what alot of people think, a .308 is a wicked little sucker, and a deer hunters dream.

I have both. A Savage 110 30.06, that was a K-mart special for my Christmas when I was 13, and a Savage 10 in 308. My 110 has been pillar bedded in a synthetic stock, and the trigger set to 2lbs, wearing a Bushnell 3200 3x9 scope. It will CONSISTENTLY shoot 1/2" 3 shot cloverleafs at 100 yards with FACTORY 180gr ammo. Its a tack driver. The 308, I have only shot it enough to sight it in for my little brother to hunt with. I need to spend some time and do the trigger up and bed it. I have grown to love the Savage Arms rifles. They are robust, with no frills, and no bells and whistles, but every single one I have owned/fired have produced phenomenal groups for bone stock guns, and with very few mods, can be made into absolute tack drivers.

I used to play tennis but bummed up my leg, doctor said to switch over to golf, so I play it once in a while. I also occasionally ride my motorcycle, not as much as i used to, I have a small, fairly inexpensive gun collection, I have a 45 chainsaw collection, also inexpensive. Once or twice a year I cruise around in my 85 Corvette, I also take in flea markets every other week and attend all the festivals around here. They have an antique tractor show in Elnora Indiana that has several old chainsaws featured in it, so I go there every year. I go to the Covered Bridge Festival every fall and mainly take in the food court goodies. Wife says I have too many hobbies, but what does she know!

I almost forgot: I like to go to the drag races; just went to one last night!
I plan to attend the Frog Follies car show in Evansville, been going every year..

Last edited:
Well, well. I used to play the guitar a whole bunch. Mostly blues stuff and bluegrass based stuff. Chainsaw's has pretty much became my biggest hobby between work and my girlfriend. I'm also into mico-brewed beer and good whiskey and bass fishing too. Anything outdoors too.

Two of my hobbies

I don't have enough time to spend with either one of them, but this is what I do for fun.. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

That sounded fishy to me too so I just went and checked. Not exact but very very close. Never woulda thunk it. Now I want a Lee Enfield converted to 54R... just a reamer run in ought to do it

There are some tweeks involved :dizzy:

The Mk1 barrel can be rechambered.

Some of the firing pins don't protrude enough to ignite the primer and need a little length from the bolt face forward. And :blush: the bren bolt face does need to get a little bigger.

Every now and again the old cut up Bren receivers can be found. I've not seen but have heard of jigs for rewelding these. I don't think it would be a difficult job.

Edit: the .303 is a .311 bore and the 7.62x54 is a .308. But it seems to me to not make a big difference.

Last edited:
There are some tweeks involved :dizzy:

The Mk1 barrel can be rechambered.

Some of the firing pins don't protrude enough to ignite the primer and need a little length from the bolt face forward. And :blush: the bren bolt face does need to get a little bigger.

Every now and again the old cut up Bren receivers can be found. I've not seen but have heard of jigs for rewelding these. I don't think it would be a difficult job.

Edit: the .303 is a .311 bore and the 7.62x54 is a .308. But it seems to me to not make a big difference.

7.62x54R bores are anywhere from .308 to .315 that I have measured which is one of the biggest problems with Russian rifles.

i love handgun shooting. i currently only own two : Smith&Wesson M&P9 and a Walther P99AS. im currently saving for an Ed Brown Kobra Gov. model.

Last edited:
I fix and restore antique garden tractors, also have a website about it but won't post the link as apparently that is against the rules even though I don't sell anything LOL.

I also used to fly giant scale r/c 3d planes. I loved it but with three kids it is an expensive hobby but once the kids are older I will be back in to it.

That is a japenese type 99, I have two barrels for it. The original 7.7 and one chambered for 308 that i shoot mostly.

We used to have shoots all the time, Been to a bunch of them but never rented any out. We all just let each other shoot ours. Got to shoot and see a lot of different guns back then.

Ah yes. The finned barrel should have clued me into that. Neat weapons. The best thing they had going at the time. There's a scrap/surplus dealer here who has many different weapons hanging from the rafters of the 'indoor' portion of his opperation. He says, "once they go up.....they never go back down". He's a little weird. Amoung all the Arisakas, old .22's, a Nobel 12-gauge autoloader (I surprised him when I knew what it was at age 16), and other unremarkable stuff...........there's a Jap Type 99 hanging up above the register. Has no magazine, and was obviously involved in some sort of fire. Somebody probably had it stashed in an attic or barn when the structure burned to the ground. Totaly unsaveable, but impossible to miss nonetheless...

Actually the KTM is a 1979 420 MC80, the bikes I raced when I turned expert way back when, so lots of memories attached. Keep that Yamaha! There are classes for those oldies where that Yamaha can thrive! I still have the Bike I ran back in those AHMRA series races, it have been thrashed by 5 kids over the last 9 years but still runs, a 1982 Husqvarna XC-430 with a Steve Sage built suspension.

I did the gun, hunting, and reloading thing when I was out west. Most went away in a divorce and I never really wanted to revisit that part of life.

Cool! I love those old KTM's. I passed up an '81 495 about 13 years ago for $500. Should have bought it. Wicked fast. Never rode a 420. LOVE those old pre-Cagiva "real" Huskies. Had a 1980 250OR for a while. Always wanted an '82 430 like yours. A real a hole sold a 1983 500CR out from under me a while ago. Actualy it was an '86 510 four stroke frame with the '83 500 two stroke engine in it. Also included the wasted 510 engine as well as the rest of the '83 bike that gave up its engine. Would have put the 500 back in its propper home and rebuilt the 510. Wish I'd gotten those bikes.

As to my Yamaha, I thought it was kind of a bum year for vintage MX racing, since it's not a 1974 dual-shock bike (1975 was the first year of the mono-shock Yamaha MX's), and therefore has to run with the 1975-1983ish 'post vintage' AC single shock drum brake bikes such as the later Maicos, CR480s, and YZ465s. I'm not vintage racing savvy by any means however, and don't have any clue at all what the class restrictions are for HS and H&H races. Maybe you can shed some light on this for me. It'll be some time before I get it going anyway. Gotta chase down a stock airbox, and a 36 or 38mm Mikuni round slide for it. I'd also like to scare up an original tank for it as it has a very tired plastic aftermarket tank at the moment. There's other things it needs that I can't remember right now. Gotta rebuild the saddle too, and the shock and forks will need help...

Last edited:
7.62x54R bores are anywhere from .308 to .315 that I have measured which is one of the biggest problems with Russian rifles.

You're right on that homes!

I have both. A Savage 110 30.06, that was a K-mart special for my Christmas when I was 13, and a Savage 10 in 308. My 110 has been pillar bedded in a synthetic stock, and the trigger set to 2lbs, wearing a Bushnell 3200 3x9 scope. It will CONSISTENTLY shoot 1/2" 3 shot cloverleafs at 100 yards with FACTORY 180gr ammo. Its a tack driver. The 308, I have only shot it enough to sight it in for my little brother to hunt with. I need to spend some time and do the trigger up and bed it. I have grown to love the Savage Arms rifles. They are robust, with no frills, and no bells and whistles, but every single one I have owned/fired have produced phenomenal groups for bone stock guns, and with very few mods, can be made into absolute tack drivers.

I argue with people on the firing line forums all the time about this.

Wiggles you are right on cue with my opinion on savage rifles. Those have came a long way from the early nineties. Savage accutriggers are the best factory triggers I've ever pulled. The barrels are match grade, floated. They have gone up in price some too, but are still very cheap for what you're getting.

Give that 308 some touch-ups, and I bet she'll leave a ragged hole at 100 paces for ya.

Last edited:
Loads of things:
Doing things with my kids is a biggie: mountain biking, kayaking and shooting clays.
Like my rimfires for small game: .22 finnfire;rem597;cz hmr.

.223 for foxing and long range critters. Reloading.

Motorcycling.

Just started getting into kite surfing.

4x4 off roading which i combine with shooting and getting to remote fishing spots.

Dont know how i have time for work.

You know after reading this I gotta get a hobby. The kids are grownin up fast soon it will be just wifey and I... Good God I need a hobby.

Hey wait up I am a member of a rifle club and go quite often. So I do have an hobbie interest. But now after all these big gun post I kinda got caliber envy or even insecurity of my tiny weeine .22s. The local big bore range may get a visit soon.
I wanna if can get it approved go back to hang gliding kinda miss that but its hard to say see ya honey & billys off for the day or weekend. Perhaps in few years eh.

I fix and restore antique garden tractors, also have a website about it but won't post the link as apparently that is against the rules even though I don't sell anything LOL.

I also used to fly giant scale r/c 3d planes. I loved it but with three kids it is an expensive hobby but once the kids are older I will be back in to it.

PM me with your link, old garden tractors I like!

I have grown to love the Savage Arms rifles. They are robust, with no frills, and no bells and whistles, but every single one I have owned/fired have produced phenomenal groups for bone stock guns, and with very few mods, can be made into absolute tack drivers.

I completely agree! I own 2 Savage rifles, my hunting rifle is a 110 in .308 wearing a Bushnell scope. Like yours, clover leafs at 100yds happen consistantly if I do my part. My other Savage rifle is in 17HMR. Synthetic stoc, stainless steel, bull barrel, and wearing powerful optics. You want to talk about tack driver? After 5 shots of that rifle you really start to get bored it's so accurate. To keep my interest going, I started putting 12ga shotgun shells in the target holder and shooting the primers at 100yds. It makes for a nice reactive target. I use spent shells too, and I have one that I put 4 shots all through the primer. It's a nice gun to shoot!

I use spent shells too, and I have one that I put 4 shots all through the primer. It's a nice gun to shoot!

Yeah I've done that too. The first one hits it so I send the next 4 shots 20 yards left then say the whole lot went through the primer hole!

Heh heh. Only kidding. My brother has an Anschutz .17 HMR and it's deadly accurate :cheers:

Latest posts

Back