Does anyone like the 2012/2013 winter forcast?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadihman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It sounds like this winter is to get cold here in the east. I have read that it is predicted to turn cold for the 2012/2013, 2013/2014,and2014/2015. Just like the late 70's. I hope so we need a good freeze here and I would love to burn my quadrafire non stop for a change. I'm ready with a nice stack of oak,hickory,locust and maple. It's probably bs but bring it on.

I never wish time to speed by but I am sick of working in 100 degrees. I've always liked the cooler season with the hunting and warm fires. If they predict a Cold winter I say bring it on too I've got plenty of wood reserves.

I think weather prediction includes too much historical data that just isn't relevant anymore, as things are changing. I'd like a cold winter to kill off some of the invasive pests, but I don't think they have much of an idea. Let's see how hurricane season goes before we try to predict winter!

weather 2112-13-14

The problem with historical weather data is it is "past" data.

it is just too iffy to wory about for right now and until the 2012
Hurricane Season ends the amount of global moisture within
the atmosphere is always going to be an issue.

In one case specifically during the 2011 winter the folks at the
Donner Pass weather station at Echo Summit had 1,500 centimeters
of total snowfall but a total of about 600+- centimeters of total moisture.
This past 2012 snow season had even less snow and moisture and this is
not good for the drinking water supply in California.

Bring it on. Hot, cold, mild, bitter. We're ready. We've survived this drought and still managed to get an
appreciable amount of work done, in spite of the 100+ degree weather. I'd prefer that we had a cold winter.
Like "chadihman" said, I'd like to be able to burn the stove longer than just overnight, or 2 or 3 days a week.

It sounds like this winter is to get cold here in the east. I have read that it is predicted to turn cold for the 2012/2013, 2013/2014,and2014/2015. Just like the late 70's. I hope so we need a good freeze here and I would love to burn my quadrafire non stop for a change. I'm ready with a nice stack of oak,hickory,locust and maple. It's probably bs but bring it on.

I'm active on the accu forums. There are some aewsome people/posts in there speculating what winter will be like. Thats all it is right now. History does repeat itself but there's so many variables and we dont have enough data to truely compare the past to. But we can get a "general" feel for it.

Accuweather actually put out their first of 3 winter forecasts.

Long Range Winter 2012-2013 Outlooks - AccuWeather.com Forums

I cant wait for fall/winter. I cant stand temps above 70 and I prefer them below 40. Theres 2 things peaking my interest right now... Ridge in center of country and out west and negative NAO (blocking). That means cold for East because a trough would be present. Will it persist through winter? We'll see.

All I know is I bought a bigger wood stove and have 5 cords ready to keep us warm. :)

Hopefully we get a lot and I mean A LOT of snow this winter and cold temps. Freezes up everything nice for snowmobiling :)

I love snow so I'm hoping for a white winter this year. I almost bought a snowmobile last year and obviously in hindsight I didn't. I'm one of the few that doesn't complain about plowing snow.....maybe that will change when I get older.

The problem with historical weather data is it is "past" data.

it is just too iffy to wory about for right now and until the 2012
Hurricane Season ends the amount of global moisture within
the atmosphere is always going to be an issue.

In one case specifically during the 2011 winter the folks at the
Donner Pass weather station at Echo Summit had 1,500 centimeters
of total snowfall but a total of about 600+- centimeters of total moisture.
This past 2012 snow season had even less snow and moisture and this is
not good for the drinking water supply in California.

Somebody send a couple hundred centimeters of that over here. We'll send you twenty Celsiuses.

I'm ready for the cold at home, But I work outside all day and don't like it below 10. Can't really dress for it because its inside 10 min outside 30 min. Back and fourth all day.

I don't care if it's gonna be as bad as 78' and 79'.

We need the precip after this drought, to bring the water table back up. A Good 250" would be just right.
I'll deal with the snow as always. Build a fire, push the slop, hide in the barn, skid out next years wood when the ground freezes.

Just don't hit me with another 5 month long Mud season. I hate Mud season.
Frozen drainage pumps and muddy logs are a PITA!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I don't care if it's gonna be as bad as 78' and 79'.

We need the precip after this drought, to bring the water table back up. A Good 250" would be just right.
I'll deal with the snow as always. Build a fire, push the slop, hide in the barn, skid out next years wood when the ground freezes.

Just don't hit me with another 5 month long Mud season. I hate Mud season.
Frozen drainage pumps and muddy logs are a PITA!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I also hate mud season too! Ruins all the fun!

Way to go bud! You just went ahead and jinxed it! :msp_mad:

If it turns out to be the warmest winter on record, we know who to blame...

I dunno how you guys call it mud "season". Here in the sand hills I call home, it's a couple days off between froze solid and needs rain...

Well,last year I was finally prepared in that I had 6 cords on hand that had seasoned for at least a full year. I had also purchased a new to me plow to replace the one that wasn't in such good shape anymore. This year I have more wood on hand. Maybe I'll wait until at least mid December to look at the plow or even think about going over the snow blower. One thing is for sure, if i buy the artic cat my friend is trying to sell me, it won't snow here for at least 3 years!

Back