Does Appearances Matter In This Industry?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being clean shaven or not doesn't reflect on cleanliness that's a personal but if your beards ZZ top kind of size you need to hold that back with a cable tie. You don't want it in the chain lol.

which guy would you want to hire. All else even (price, cert, Insurance, Experience)

Choice #1

Choice #2
They both look like off the clock rednecks to me.............lol

But, the first guy shows proof that he ain't scared to get dirty.

As for me, I don't care how they look or what they wear as long as it a maintained look, no vulgar language on the shirts, no saggy pants, no ripped torn up jeans and absolutely no wife beater shirts, the sleeves stay on or you stay at home. No horsing around, no unnecessary loudness and no cursing what so ever. Me personally I do wear a bandanna sometimes when working to keep sweat out of my eyes but when I give quotes I try to look decent.

Last edited:
i just wear my work boots pair of levi 501s and a t-shirt tucked in with a flannel over it. and depending on what im doing i may wear a hardhat. i think anything more than that might be considerd anal

Appearance matters in any profession that deals with the public. If you're trying to portray yourself as a rough and tumble, tough-guy tree cutter - a pair of ripped jeans, an un-tucked metallica t-shirt, greasy unkept hair and a few tattoos would probably get you more respect than if you were clean-shaven and wearing a pair of khakis and a polo shirt. However, it may not appeal to your target clientel.

The question to ask yourself is this - Are you marketing your services to a bunch of rough and tumble streetfighters who walk around in ripped jeans and baggy metallica t-shirts or are you marketing your services towards clean-cut middle and upper-income folks who walk around in khakis and polo shirts?

Know your market and dress for success - whatever that dresscode may be...

Last edited:
Appearance matters in any profession that deals with the public. If you're trying to portray yourself as a rough and tumble, tough-guy tree cutter - a pair of ripped jeans, an un-tucked metallica t-shirt, greasy unkept hair and a few tattoos would probably get you more respect than if you were clean-shaven and wearing a pair of khakis and a polo shirt. However, it may not appeal to your target clientel.

The question to ask yourself is this - Are you marketing your services to a bunch of rough and tumble streetfighters who walk around in ripped jeans and baggy metallica t-shirts or are you marketing your services towards clean-cut middle and upper-income folks who walk around in khakis and polo shirts?

Know your market and dress for success - whatever that dresscode may be...

i think the kahki and polo shirt are overkill no matter how you put it. its like wearing a tux to a burgerking interveiw. there isnt anything that i can see as being unprofessional about levi 501 jeans with steel toed work boots and a tucked in shirt with a flannel. that way your actually dressed for what your doing a little better than showing up to clear some trees wearing slacks and a button up shirt with a tie. unless your an accountant.

i think the kahki and polo shirt are overkill no matter how you put it. its like wear

I think that's a little unfair, you are talking about apples and oranges. I went to a climbing interview in a suit and tie. That showed I was willing to put my best foot forward for his co. Would I sell like that? NO. The man could tell if he wanted me to climb for him or not just by talking to me. I left his business face to face too. That's one reason if I ever needed a job all I have to do is show up in the morning with my gear, and I'm hired again. (the foreman is the boss now) But as for the public, your many targeted areas, be neat and honest.

LT...

I think that's a little unfair, you are talking about apples and oranges. I went to a climbing interview in a suit and tie. That showed I was willing to put my best foot forward for his co. Would I sell like that? NO. The man could tell if he wanted me to climb for him or not just by talking to me. I left his business face to face too. That's one reason if I ever needed a job all I have to do is show up in the morning with my gear, and I'm hired again. (the foreman is the boss now) But as for the public, your many targeted areas, be neat and honest.

LT...
so the suit was unnecessary then , is that what your saying?

When I was GF and had to interview people if you came in with a suit and tie my first impression would be that you might be pretty boy that might be scared to get dirt under his nails. I could see the suit & tie for an office job or even a manger at Burger King but tree work, IMO it's over kill. I wear blue jeans or tan Carhartt jeans most of the time with my work boots and a t-shirt with my logo on it and a ball cap and it works fine, clean, neat and presentable is the ticket.

Rf

Not that the suit was unnecessary, that's the way I interview. I think that it shows I'm serious about his company, trying to put your best foot forward. After talking for a while he said I could start tomorrow. I also had a resume to show what I've done. How many go to interviews with a resume. I don't believe I needed all that. I do believe it put the icing on the cake. That is getting the job, running the job is dealing with the public as I described before. It is what I've been taught, and yes it does turn heads. I was raised on a farm and I showed them I had no problem getting dirty. I ain't pretty, I'm handsome. LOL

LT...

I agree that appearance is important. It's funny though that most "tree guys" I see are anything but professional looking.

What's amazing to me is that you guys wear blue jeans to work in. I wore blue jeans for about a month and then realized they were the least functional most uncomfortable thing you can possibly wear.

I pick number 1.
Because He has smokes, and I don't think he looks afraid to get dirty.
#2 looks like a buisnessman, he looks like he might "B.S." me too ripp me off.

It probably doesn't really matter in the end.

It is nice to have a professional looking crew but at the end of the day, it is price that gets the job....in most cases.

I work with a guy and he could care less what his crew looks like, me on the other hand, I make sure all my guys have a company shirt, sweatshirt and jacket. But that is my personal choice.

:agree2:

Or so it would appear these days.

FWIW I had a potential client balk at my bid to remove a large dead removal with zero drop zone over the house and right up next to the privacy fence. The area where the tree grew had about 4' of room between the house and privacy fence on the side and the only way to remove it safely was with a crane. The contractor who was remodeling the house to resell told me he was going to just hire a good old "tree guy" to do it... His exact words.

well in most cases the best time of the year to do cutting is between fall and spring so its generally cold. work jeans are tough, presentable , and durable. comfort is what you may call "icing on the cake" obviously sweatpants or shorts would be most 'comfy' but there not suitable. and i think flannels are a nice touch as well.

And when you sweat those jeans turn add an extra 5 pounds on your legs I bet. At least that was my experience when I started and was wearing jeans.
I don't sweat bad so that's not a problem.

As for shorts, I have worn the will mowing but only during the very hottest days, I would never wear them on tree work though.

Apearances DO matter

Especially in language. I agree that polo shirts and khakis are overkill, a clean company shirt and blue jeans are good enough...and expected. But regardless what you look like, it's how you speak to your potential client. If you sound like a dumb redneck, you'll get hired at dumb redneck prices.

Yeah, that would be a problem but what kind of life is it when you can't be yourself?

That could actually be a selling point for the right clientele. Naked tree guys? C'mon who DOESN'T want to see that?

Back