Does Appearances Matter In This Industry?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im a ********** because i wear flannels and jeans? are you a little 12 year old boy? cause if your an adult i wanna know where you live.

I take back saying that you were a **********. I respect your opinion that jeans are the best work pants, and also respectfully disagree.

A question for you, do you use a chainsaw daily? If so do you wear chaps over your jeans or not wear any at all?

I find jeans extremely uncomfortable, hard to climb in, and unprofessional. I use a chainsaw daily and think that chaps are inconvenient, and my stretch airs with chainsaw protection are the most comfortable climbing pants I've ever worn. There are plenty of other good choices as well.

basically...anything > jeans

Dude, that's just plain weird. Like drinking tomato juice all the time weird.
ShowLetter.gif

What are your opinions and experiences about keeping up appearances to present a more professional image? Do you think having the traditional clean look is important in our profession?

What sort of experiences have you had in either scenario that might shed light on the situation?

StihlRockin'

We all make judgements every day based on others' appearance. In other words, for most people making judgements about a business of ANY kind, there is a strong correlation between the way a person/business LOOKS and the way that person/business WORKS professionally. Whether I think this is fair or not is beside the point. So, if I want to attract a certain clientele--especially the kind that place a premium on professionalism--then I am going to do everything I can to try & attract that kind of client as long as it is ethical. This means not only wearing professional looking clothes (with an emphasis upon safety [for example, everyone on the crew wears bright fluorescent yellow shirts with the Class II reflective stripes]), but avoids vulgar language in front of clients, uses polite speech ("Please," "Thank you," "No ma'am/sir," "Yes ma'am/sir," etc.). I think, basically, that clients make judments about a company based on the "whole package." Thus, it's also important to have relatively clean equipment that runs well & is well-maintained, that we exhibit extreme care & pride in our on-site work, and that we clean up after ourselves (for example, all cigarette butts, soda cans, etc., go in our company trash bags).

The sooner you can make a good impression with a potential client through your decent appearance & decent language & decent manners, the more likely you'll be to get the opportunity to land that signed contract.

Making a good impression is not rocket science. . . .

Just a few rambling thoughts. . . .

The cigarette butts are a big pet peeve with me. As well as garbage and language. I used to smoke but would always strip my butts and throw them in the truck or put them in my pocket until I could dispose of them. I expected the same from my help and would constantly have to remind them and pick up behind them. Same with water bottles/lunch debris. I can't stand for someone to leave hamburger wrappers and drink cups around the job site. Throw it on the truck. I had a guy who would always finish a can of snuff and just chuck it on the ground. I dip myself (although not right in the client's face) and wouldn't dream of just throwing an empty snuff can or any other garbage on the ground. I told this guy for nearly a year not to do that. Now he no longer works for me. I don't like for my crew to leave trash around or talk trashy. It's not like we are bucking logs in the woods or working on a construction site away from the public. We are right in the public eye and that can be a challenge with your crew at times.

The cigarette butts are a big pet peeve with me. As well as garbage and language. I used to smoke but would always strip my butts and throw them in the truck or put them in my pocket until I could dispose of them. I expected the same from my help and would constantly have to remind them and pick up behind them. Same with water bottles/lunch debris. I can't stand for someone to leave hamburger wrappers and drink cups around the job site. Throw it on the truck. I had a guy who would always finish a can of snuff and just chuck it on the ground. I dip myself (although not right in the client's face) and wouldn't dream of just throwing an empty snuff can or any other garbage on the ground. I told this guy for nearly a year not to do that. Now he no longer works for me. I don't like for my crew to leave trash around or talk trashy. It's not like we are bucking logs in the woods or working on a construction site away from the public. We are right in the public eye and that can be a challenge with your crew at times.
I have my crew finally doing this but am having a hell of a time getting the WHOLE truck cleaned out at the end of the day.

I explain to them when we unload the gear, we're not done till we get ALL the trash out of the cab and bed. I don't eat lunch, so I'll be damned if I'm gonna run around gathering burrito wrappers and chip bags when my guys leave.

Of course appearance matters. And that means all appearances, your clothes, your vehicles, your cleanliness, your grammar and your workers.

I've seen so many guys in beaters, the kinds that are just barely road legal, show up to a job to give a quote and the owners relay back to me they just don't have faith in the guy.

Grammar and language is very important. Swearing is right out. So many people in general drop the F bomb like its just normal everyday language. IT'S NOT AND IT DOESN'T MAKE YOU SOUND HIP OR COOL!

Clean clothes, regardless of what your wearing is a big plus. Midday going to a quick quote, the owners have to give some leaway on the cleanliness if you've been cutting all day but otherwise, clean is the rule. Hygeine is an important one too. And the crew nees to know that also. Nothing worse than a guy on the crew tht smells.

Myself? D ickies yearround unless it's really cold and the Carhardt coveralls come out, hooded sweatshirt or tee shirts in the summer without the "in your face slogans"(political or otherwise), boots (not sneakers) and a neat haircut. I don't care about facial hair, hair lenth, ink, earrings or even color of clothes. Clean, proffessional and courteous.

Last edited:
I show up to work wearing Viberg lineman boots, falling pants with a belt instead of suspenders, and a t-shirt, if its cold a Stanfield shirt as well. People know I am there to work, and they are sure by looking at me that I can work. I usually don't wear offensive t-shirts, but after working hard for a few hours, I am dirty. So be it. I don't get changed to go and look at other jobs, when i show up people usually comment something like "Sure looks like you have been working" or words to that effect.

I am making an effort to clean up my langauge at work, after working in the bush and construction since I was a kid, it has its challenges. When I see someone show up at the jobsite, I look at what is on thier feet. You can tell a lot right there. Regardless of what one wears, its what they have got done at the end of the day that means the most.

I am probably the worst offender of language that I know. I can gross out the most hardened of iron workers and roughnecks. Literally nothing is off limits to me, but I do watch it at work and around the public, mostly to protect my image and the company I represent.

Nothing is hotter than a chick who can swear like a sailor........

I like Tim "Bo" Snell's reply back on reply #89.

It reflects many of my own thoughts, but more importantly, saves me some typing. LOL!

Oh, and capetrees' #92 reply saves me more typing!

StihlRockin'
icon10.gif

Last edited:
I am making an effort to clean up my langauge at work, after working in the bush and construction since I was a kid, it has its challenges. When I see someone show up at the jobsite, I look at what is on thier feet. You can tell a lot right there.

I sympathize on the language thing having worked around soldiers for many years .......airborne ones at that.

So flip flops don't cut it where you work LOL?

Ive been reading this thread for a while now and admit I was hesitant to reply at first, but it wont go away so heres my two cents... Some people will call you looking for that rough and tumble tree guy with the beard and flannel. This doesnt mean go without shaving or trimming that **** for a year it just means some people expect it. Now if your talkin bout richy rich territory, either your there by referral, or they saw you workin an like what they saw. Or, there the cheap-o price shopper in da ritzy hood that just wants the nieghbor to see that they spent $ on there trees too. It takes all types. IMO, unless your the sales rep for the ol' big green n yello, or dem dirty liars at the "care of", show up looking like a tree guy. Dont be filthy in the morning. If you are your probably a slob. If you run a crew all day, and its after 5pm, its ok to have some sawdust in your hair and grease on the pants. For crissake, you just busted arse all day and if they dont respect that, do you really want there biz? Theres alot more I could say about this, but Ill let you guys nibble on this 4 a while, and then let you know what I think about the "super clean cuts".

i smoke as well.

i put my butts in my pocket.i get irate when i see someone throw them on the ground.

We are required to wear company logo Tshirt, Arborwear Techs, with proper footwear. Smokers put butts in pocket and no filthy mouths on the job. We receive compliments almost daily on our appearance.
To answer the question: Appearance does matter.

Back