Does brake or carb cleaner eat primer bulbs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorSeven

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am working on my neighbors FS55 trimmer. The primer bulb was cracked so I picked up a new one. The carb was clogged bad, so I took it apart & ended up using both carb and brake cleaner to clear it. I put it back together & the brand new bulb just shattered at the center top. Was it one of the cleaners or just a bad "new" bulb?

RD

Brake and carb cleaners can be hard on any plastic/rubber parts. Only use them on disassembled carb bodies.

Many people also melt the main nozzle check valve with carb cleaner....

J

Many people also melt the main nozzle check valve with carb cleaner....

J

Argggg, well the brake cleaner was not cutting the shellac in the passages, so I hit it with the carb cleaner. I do usually stay away from the carb cleaner. I'm off to pick up another bulb, so we will see in an hr or so if it runs.

RD

I usually use white vinegar for carb cleaning... Easier on my hands. Works well with an old toothbrush... Rince well when you're done, and chase out teh water with wd40....

J

Thans guys, I put the new bulb on and it is still not getting fuel so I have it soaking in some industrial carb cleaner that a friend gave me. I'll let it soak overnight & try it again tomorrow. If this doesn't do it a carb kit is in order.

Last edited:
The soaking helped, go it running today, but when at idle it runs for a min or so then dies. I suspect an air leak in the fuel lines.
so that is next.
I gotta say, that Zama carb with NO "H" L" adjustments on it sucks....thanks epa. I picked up an old FS76 at the pawn shop last week for $85. Old carb & it just needed a little adjustment to make it run perfect.

RD

Back