Does brake or carb cleaner eat primer bulbs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MotorSeven

MotorSeven

Addicted to ArboristSite
I am working on my neighbors FS55 trimmer. The primer bulb was cracked so I picked up a new one. The carb was clogged bad, so I took it apart & ended up using both carb and brake cleaner to clear it. I put it back together & the brand new bulb just shattered at the center top. Was it one of the cleaners or just a bad "new" bulb?

RD

JasonBmac

JasonBmac

ArboristSite Operative
Brake and carb cleaners can be hard on any plastic/rubber parts. Only use them on disassembled carb bodies.

Many people also melt the main nozzle check valve with carb cleaner....

J

MotorSeven

MotorSeven

Addicted to ArboristSite
Many people also melt the main nozzle check valve with carb cleaner....

J

Argggg, well the brake cleaner was not cutting the shellac in the passages, so I hit it with the carb cleaner. I do usually stay away from the carb cleaner. I'm off to pick up another bulb, so we will see in an hr or so if it runs.

RD

JasonBmac

JasonBmac

ArboristSite Operative
I usually use white vinegar for carb cleaning... Easier on my hands. Works well with an old toothbrush... Rince well when you're done, and chase out teh water with wd40....

J

MotorSeven

MotorSeven

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thans guys, I put the new bulb on and it is still not getting fuel so I have it soaking in some industrial carb cleaner that a friend gave me. I'll let it soak overnight & try it again tomorrow. If this doesn't do it a carb kit is in order.

Last edited:
MotorSeven

MotorSeven

Addicted to ArboristSite
The soaking helped, go it running today, but when at idle it runs for a min or so then dies. I suspect an air leak in the fuel lines.
so that is next.
I gotta say, that Zama carb with NO "H" L" adjustments on it sucks....thanks epa. I picked up an old FS76 at the pawn shop last week for $85. Old carb & it just needed a little adjustment to make it run perfect.

RD

Latest posts