Does my 028 have a fast idle ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TysonH

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just got my little 028 project together last night and I ran about a tank through it so far. It runs good but I dont think I have a fast idle in the throttle linkage. normal ? I press down like most Stihl saws on the throttle and put the choke in the open position to try and lock it to choke, but theres no locking the throttle in place.

Needless to say its not fun to start cold, but once warm starts with one short pull.

That's the dreaded choke flap in the filter not closing properly. My 028 was doing the same thing. Take filter off and file alittle at a time where the master switch contacts the choke lever,till it closes and locks. Should be good to go.

Went out and checked my woodboss. Pushed lever till it stops then squeeze the trigger and push down to get choke. Pull till she pops the pull lever up to get fast idle. Pulling the trigger gets it off fast idle.

That's the dreaded choke flap in the filter not closing properly. My 028 was doing the same thing. Take filter off and file alittle at a time where the master switch contacts the choke lever,till it closes and locks. Should be good to go.
The choke is in the filter, but the fast idle is in the trigger/master control switch.

The choke is in the filter, but the fast idle is in the trigger/master control switch.

"I press down like most Stihl saws on the throttle and put the choke in the open position to try and lock it to choke, but theres no locking the throttle in place.

Needless to say its not fun to start cold, but once warm starts with one short pull."

What I meant to quote.

I ran into this awhile back with an 028. The throttle control rod was bent back so that when the choke was released, the fast idle was lost. I simply removed the rod and bent it forward just a twinge and that fixed it. Ne careful not to bend it forward too much or you will be running dang near wide open and it won't idle down all the way.

Back