Does oil expire?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew15

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So i bought some stihl 2 stroke oil online and the stihl logo is quite brighter on a bottlethan the others and i realised that 4 out of the five bottles were produced in 2019…so im wondering if its still ok to use?The bottles are sealed.

Someone posted about amsoil on here that had already passed the year old date and they were given a fresh bottle. I think most on here would run it and not think twice about it if that’s your choice of flavor.

On the other hand, I have used 10 year old Stihl oil before, and that was a mistake. Mixed a fresh batch with 91 octane gasoline @ a ratio of 32:1, and anybody who filled their saw had a plugged fuel screen in the carb before their tank of fuel ran out, it was maddening. Threw that crap away, went down to the store and bought fresh oil, mixed a fresh batch and that took care of it. Of course, the oil mentioned above is not 10 years old, so it's comparing apples to oranges, but noteworthy nonetheless......

Back