Does this old pine need to come down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdavison39

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there - i'm clearing a lot for a cottage i hope to build in the next few years. There is one pine that looks like it got hit with lightening as there is a large crack in the bark. Examining closer it looks like bugs have taken advantage of the exposed tree and have started to eat away at it. The pine otherwise looks healthly and not in the way - but if its going to die if 5-10 years its alot easier to bring down now than when the cottage will be built. I've attached some pictures. Appreciate any adviceView attachment 302809View attachment 302810View attachment 302811View attachment 302812

Thx
Ron

It looks to me like the tree will most likely die in the next few years, especially with all the already dead limbs on the bottom there. Dead limbs are common on pines underneath but it looks to me like its too far gone, at least in the climate where I am i have seen a lot of trees like that die in the next couple of years but i dont know for sure

Not familiar with eastern conifers.I notice a sprout at the base..Is it a basal shoot?Just curious ..
Looks like maybe a fir or spruce?
Bugs in the crack may be termites which inhabit/eat dead wood,not live wood.The cambium appears dead, probably what the're eating.Any bore holes around the tree base which would indicate beetles/borers?The tree ''appears healthy''IF so it will build a wall around the affected area.Appears to be dead lower branches which may be the natural self pruning process,as the lower section of tree is shaded.Upper canopy appears dark green and healthy?You like the tree?Adds abit of something to the property?
Tough call with just a few photos.probably outlive us all....:laugh:Your call...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Some answers to the questions

There is no basal shoot - i think t hat is just some other fallen little branch as i have been taking down a few of the smaller trees in that area

Location in Ontario: Muskoka - near Huntsville

Yeah i like the tree, but it will not be my friend if it falls on the cottage. Its leaning perpendicular to the cottage so if there were no crack i wouldn't remove it. But if it does die then it will have to come down. I'm not sure how long the crack has been there. Based on the appearance of the exposed wood its been a few years because the wood is dry and some bugs have made some rather large holes in it indicating to me that they've been at it for a while. The bark doesn't seem to be showing any signs of healing itself (like you se when you cut off a branch) but maybe that takes many years

I guess my real question is, with a breach in the bark the size of this one - will the tree remain healthly? Or maybe put another way.....what percentage does this breach increase the likelihood of the tree die - small chance like 5% or larger like 50%....i might take my chances if people say this happens all the time and trees recover just fine.

BTW - anyone know what might have caused this?

Thx again
Ron

Without being there,on the spot,?No way to answer those questions.If your uncomfortable with the situation,and it's going to be constantly on your mind....Do what's necessary...Might find a local certified forester/certified consulting arborist to assess the situation.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Some answers to the questions

There is no basal shoot - i think t hat is just some other fallen little branch as i have been taking down a few of the smaller trees in that area

Location in Ontario: Muskoka - near Huntsville

Yeah i like the tree, but it will not be my friend if it falls on the cottage. Its leaning perpendicular to the cottage so if there were no crack i wouldn't remove it. But if it does die then it will have to come down. I'm not sure how long the crack has been there. Based on the appearance of the exposed wood its been a few years because the wood is dry and some bugs have made some rather large holes in it indicating to me that they've been at it for a while. The bark doesn't seem to be showing any signs of healing itself (like you se when you cut off a branch) but maybe that takes many years

I guess my real question is, with a breach in the bark the size of this one - will the tree remain healthly? Or maybe put another way.....what percentage does this breach increase the likelihood of the tree die - small chance like 5% or larger like 50%....i might take my chances if people say this happens all the time and trees recover just fine.

BTW - anyone know what might have caused this?

Thx again
Ron

Without question....a lightning strike. We call that kind of damage a 'streak' (here in Deep East Texas). I have dozens of pines just like that at any given time. Sometimes it goes straight down the tree, other times it will spiral around it. The 'pines' we have here are Loblolly and Longleaf, both of which produce a heavy amount of pine 'resin' that quickly fills and protects any injured areas.

I don't see that in your pictures....but my experience has been IF the tree has lived this long it will likely continue to survive. Even if it does die (from an infestation) it will do so from the top down and 'normally' it will also drop/lose the top first. The remaining trunk will often remain (Standing Dead Wood) for quite some time afterward.

We only cut them here on the ranch if they are leaning heavily toward a building/fence/other (when dead).

I'm also located in Huntsville area, and wouldn't mind looking at it if you want.

Hi Pelorus - I'm on 3 mile lake off 141 so not super close to huntsville. I think with the comments i have recieved i'm not going to chance it and i'll be taking the beast down so no need to travel but thanks so much for the offer anyway...

Ron

Hi Pelorus - I'm on 3 mile lake off 141 so not super close to huntsville. I think with the comments i have recieved i'm not going to chance it and i'll be taking the beast down so no need to travel but thanks so much for the offer anyway...

Ron

Good choice. Plant three or four more to replace it.

Ron

You're welcome. :) It's nice to encounter another soul from my small corner of the world!
Wishing you all the best with the lot clearing / cottage building.

Back