Does This Sound Right?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crying.gif

Enjoy your hour drive to the STIHL dealer in your gas guzzler....for 20 dollars you could have saved a HEAP

My only suggestion at this point, is to invest in a basic tool set, with TORX bits, a PET-1000R tachometer, a compression gauge, some small needle nose pliers, precision style, and ignition tester, Then in the future some intake and exhaust blockoffs, and a leakdown tester.

May also want to invest in some experience, maybe buy some junk saws and see how it all works...maybe take a night class on small engine repair, and buy/read every manual you can get your hands on.

Otherwise, be kind to your dealers....

Enjoy your hour drive to the STIHL dealer in your gas guzzler....for 20 dollars you could have saved a HEAP

you must not know how to read, the dealer messed up, not me, so why am i being the one who gets punished? also its a 15 minute drive to the other shop and parts i order can be brought to the main farm which is 5 miles away for free so i am not the who lost the income of a good customer and of all the peoples money that i know and the people i will tell about the lack of customer service who will never step foot in that shop.

Is your position that expecting a dealer to do what he says is being unkind to him?

The dealer did what was requested...he fixed the saw.

There was a minimum charge for the repair, apparently the dealer figured that Mr. Stihlknowitall was adept enough to know that there would be a charge for the repair.

Why they didnt call him, God only knows...but the fact it was dropped off and signed in, rather it was fixed or not, there would still have been a charge.

space, do you understand how a repair shop operates? I know you do retail, but that's nothing like a repair outfit.

Drop it off...we look at it, you are charged X amount. We call you, you dont want it fixe,d you pay X amount. Would you want it fixed or not fixed for X amount?

Mule lets say you take your Poulan 295 to a shop in your town, you explain you feel the oiler isnt working, but you want to be called before it it fixed, for monetary reasons.

Well 2 days later the tech picks it up and puts it on his bench...automatic FEE right there. Regardless of what happens after that point, a charge has been incurred.

The tech looks at the saw, it has oil in the tank, and the pickup is still attached. He sees the tag says call before repair.

The tech, having seen 40 of these saws in the previous 18 months knows what is most likely wrong with the oiling system...but he will be unable to give you any idea on cost until he at least removes the bar and chain.

If he stops and calls you NOW...he wil lbe able to tell you this:

THE SAW HAS OIL IN THE TANK, YOU SAY IT ISNT OILING?

YOU- YEAH, NO OIL AT ALL SLINGING OFF

At this point the tech gets your "approval" to remove the bar and chain, he finds the usual plugged oiler outlet, and blows off the bar rails, sharpens the chain (it's already off, and you are paying a 20 dollar minimum anyways). Puts it together, and it oils....job complete.

NOW, before he wasted the time to call you, you were already in it for a minimum 20 dollar check out fee...so he pops the bar off, cleans the port, sharpens the chain, puts it together, and it works fine.

So at that time, the cost incurred on both scenarios is the exact same...20 dollar minimum. The outcome is the exact same, an oiling saw.

The difference is he had to stop halfway between check out and repairing to call you, assuming you were even home, if you werent, he had to box it back up and put it away, and wait for your return call.

you must not know how to read, the dealer messed up, not me, so why am i being the one who gets punished? also its a 15 minute drive to the other shop and parts i order can be brought to the main farm which is 5 miles away for free so i am not the who lost the income of a good customer and of all the peoples money that i know and the people i will tell about the lack of customer service who will never step foot in that shop.

You may find this hard to beleive at 16 years of age...but that dealer will somehow in some way manage to trudge on without you and your nit picky repair requests.

As far as he is concerned, you wasted his time, and stole 20 dollars from him...who needs customers like that?

if he was a bad person, or they were a bad shop, given the economy, they would be long gone by now...but it seems they are doing well, and even doing well with another dealer 15 minutes away....

Maybe it's just....you?

The dealer did what was requested...he fixed the saw.

There was a minimum charge for the repair, apparently the dealer figured that Mr. Stihlknowitall was adept enough to know that there would be a charge for the repair.

Why they didnt call him, God only knows...but the fact it was dropped off and signed in, rather it was fixed or not, there would still have been a charge.

space, do you understand how a repair shop operates? I know you do retail, but that's nothing like a repair outfit.

Drop it off...we look at it, you are charged X amount. We call you, you dont want it fixe,d you pay X amount. Would you want it fixed or not fixed for X amount?

Mule lets say you take your Poulan 295 to a shop in your town, you explain you feel the oiler isnt working, but you want to be called before it it fixed, for monetary reasons.

Well 2 days later the tech picks it up and puts it on his bench...automatic FEE right there. Regardless of what happens after that point, a charge has been incurred.

The tech looks at the saw, it has oil in the tank, and the pickup is still attached. He sees the tag says call before repair.

The tech, having seen 40 of these saws in the previous 18 months knows what is most likely wrong with the oiling system...but he will be unable to give you any idea on cost until he at least removes the bar and chain.

If he stops and calls you NOW...he wil lbe able to tell you this:

THE SAW HAS OIL IN THE TANK, YOU SAY IT ISNT OILING?

YOU- YEAH, NO OIL AT ALL SLINGING OFF

At this point the tech gets your "approval" to remove the bar and chain, he finds the usual plugged oiler outlet, and blows off the bar rails, sharpens the chain (it's already off, and you are paying a 20 dollar minimum anyways). Puts it together, and it oils....job complete.

NOW, before he wasted the time to call you, you were already in it for a minimum 20 dollar check out fee...so he pops the bar off, cleans the port, sharpens the chain, puts it together, and it works fine.

So at that time, the cost incurred on both scenarios is the exact same...20 dollar minimum. The outcome is the exact same, an oiling saw.

The difference is he had to stop halfway between check out and repairing to call you, assuming you were even home, if you werent, he had to box it back up and put it away, and wait for your return call.

you are assuming now too, you are saying there is a fee just to look at it, he shouldent of looked at it till he called and in that shop i was not told of any fee for taking a look. yes i knew there would be a charge but no one in the shop knew how much it would cost, even a ball park, and i knew that i only had 15-20 dollars so i was gunna take the saw till i had a ball park and knew i would have enough, but the shop tells me just to leave it, the tech will call first. also you say that the tech shouldent of had to call me because that would be stupid and take more time than just fixing it, if thats the case, dont tell me you will call first, i would have gladly taken my saw and come back later, but i was told it would not be a problem to leave it there

Rationalize all you want red--here's the bottom line. Dealer promised x, and did not deliver x but instead delivered y. That's a dealer screw up any way you look at it. You may find this hard to believe at 23 years of age, but standing by your word and having integrity is a valuable asset.

You may find this hard to beleive at 16 years of age...but that dealer will somehow in some way manage to trudge on without you and your nit picky repair requests.

As far as he is concerned, you wasted his time, and stole 20 dollars from him...who needs customers like that?

if he was a bad person, or they were a bad shop, given the economy, they would be long gone by now...but it seems they are doing well, and even doing well with another dealer 15 minutes away....

Maybe it's just....you?

well i bought a fs-80 trimmer, a ms 180, and at least 300.00 in accesories, i gave them the part number for the dual dog kit for the 361 that they said didnt exist and they wished it did cause a lot of people wanted it. i never hagled the price, payed full price in cash, no questions asked. i didnt steal 20.00 from him, i made him understand that there are consequences for mistakes in his line of work. this is the first time i had any repair done to my stuff and they made my repair nit picky because they are the ones that came up with the idea for me to leave it there. Also the other dealer is a rural dealer that sells case tractors so they make there money there, not with the stihl stuff and they are still a better dealer than the one in town. also the bad dealer is in the biggest town in southern MN so of course all the homeowners will go there because its easier. Also my being 16 should be a non issue because i am obviously more mature than you

well i bought a fs-80 trimmer, a ms 180, and at least 300.00 in accesories, i gave them the part number for the dual dog kit for the 361 that they said didnt exist and they wished it did cause a lot of people wanted it. i never hagled the price, payed full price in cash, no questions asked. i didnt steal 20.00 from him, i made him understand that there are consequences for mistakes in his line of work. this is the first time i had any repair done to my stuff and they made my repair nit picky because they are the ones that came up with the idea for me to leave it there. Also the other dealer is a rural dealer that sells case tractors so they make there money there, not with the stihl stuff and they are still a better dealer than the one in town. also the bad dealer is in the biggest town in southern MN so of course all the homeowners will go there because its easier. Also my being 16 should be a non issue because i am obviously more mature than you

PFFTTT...please. You owe me a new keyboard, I just spit a moutful of AMP all over this one..

Oh wait, nevermind, im sure you will offer up all sorts of excuses about how it is my fault...Ill just replace it myself and save us both some time.

When I was 16, I knew how to handle myself in a place of business. I knew how things worked, what questions to ask, and never let anyone take advantage of me, nor did I take advantage of anyone.

at 18 I owned and operated my own business after I got my Diploma...

At 21 I worked for the largest dealer/distributor of multiple lines in our county...

At 23, I can smell BS a mile away, on both sides of the counter.

PFFTTT...please. You owe me a new keyboard, I just spit a moutful of AMP all over this one..

Oh wait, nevermind, im sure you will offer up all sorts of excuses about how it is my fault...Ill just replace it myself and save us both some time.

When I was 16, I knew how to handle myself in a place of business. I knew how things worked, what questions to ask, and never let anyone take advantage of me, nor did I take advantage of anyone.

at 18 I owned and operated my own business after I got my Diploma...

At 21 I worked for the largest dealer/distributor of multiple lines in our county...

At 23, I can smell BS a mile away, on both sides of the counter.

and you called me a know it all, all i read in that post is that you are the #### and no one else can be right but you because of your past experiences. also i knew that if i left my saw there, it would cost me money, so i offered to take it until i could get an estimate so i knew i had enough money but they told me to leave it so i did and they screwed me so i returned the favor.

well the whole story is that i brought it in to see if they knew how much it might cost to have it done, they said their mechanic wasent there and they didnt know. So the solution they come up with is that i leave the saw there and they will leave a note on the work order to call me on my cell phone, which i always have with me, before they work on it even though i said i could take it with me and come back when he is there.

If all you wanted was the price of a tune, then leave your number, and not the saw. They don't need to see the saw to give the basic price of a carb adjustment.

If they DO need to look at the saw to see what it needs, then that is their time and they are within their rights to charge for it.

This is nothing more than a misunderstanding, and miscommunication that has been blown out of proportion.

I'm sure the tech thought he was doing you a favor by doing the repair with the same price as the diagnosis, not trying to screw you out of $20.

Like I said...paying the $20 would be the price for #####ing about having to pay it. You kept the money and have a tuned saw, so they did right by you.

If all you wanted was the price of a tune, then leave your number, and not the saw. They don't need to see the saw to give the basic price of a carb adjustment.

If they DO need to look at the saw to see what it needs, then that is their time and they are within their rights to charge for it.

This is nothing more than a misunderstanding, and miscommunication that has been blown out of proportion.

I'm sure the tech thought he was doing you a favor by doing the repair with the same price as the diagnosis, not trying to screw you out of $20.

Like I said...paying the $20 would be the price for #####ing about having to pay it. You kept the money and have a tuned saw, so they did right by you.

thats where your wrong, why do i have to think for the shop? THEY told me to leave the saw, THEY NEVER told me of a diagnosis fee(even though there was no diagnosing to be done and i still dont know if they charge for that or not). i specificly toldthem nothing was wrong with it and that it just needed a carb tune/that was ALL i wanted done, nothing more. all i blame the tech for is not calling, otherwise itsthe owner thats the #######, and no he didnt do right by me because i should of never been charged 20.00 and he cussed me out of the store and i cant go back there, that isnt doing someone right

OCC --

#1 - most all Techs personally NEVER call a customer -- at least in a fairly big, busy shop. They work on commision. Time is literally money.
Our Tech's make $50,000.+ per year. They are NOT personally going to call you for anything!
The only calls our Techs take is from their wives!
Time is literally money!

What would they have told you if they had called??
"Says here, buddy, you want your carb tuned. Great we can do it!"

Maybe the counterman/owner didn't fully explain to the Tech to call 1st ??
They are not on A/S to give their side of the misunderstanding.
Big Point !!!

In all fairness, they probably thought they did you right.

Commision guys DO NOT work for free. None of them.

Additionally, if your saw would have needed a bit more time being tuned, it
might not have turned out free at all from the other shop!
Is that mechanic working for free??
Consider that?

Life has a way of teaching. At 16 there is still a massive amount to learn--
immeasurable...
In reading most of your posts, you are more concerned with the PROCESS than the end result.

Life will teach you the results [usually] are the most important.

Even if they did not call, the end result was fair.
Cheap lesson. Quit whing.

thats where your wrong, why do i have to think for the shop?

My point was that you should think for yourself. Why leave the saw for a quote? If you don't like the quote then you have to go back and get it.

OCC --

#1 - most all Techs personally NEVER call a customer -- at least in a fairly big, busy shop. They work on commision. Time is literally money.
Our Tech's make $50,000.+ per year. They are NOT personally going to call you for anything!
The only calls our Techs take is from their wives!
Time is literally money!

What would they have told you if they had called??
"Says here, buddy, you want your carb tuned. Great we can do it!"

Maybe the counterman/owner didn't fully explain to the Tech to call 1st ??
They are not on A/S to give their side of the misunderstanding.
Big Point !!!

In all fairness, they probably thought they did you right.

Commision guys DO NOT work for free. None of them.

Additionally, if your saw would have needed a bit more time being tuned, it
might not have turned out free at all from the other shop!
Is that mechanic working for free??
Consider that?

Life has a way of teaching. At 16 there is still a massive amount to learn--
immeasurable...
In reading most of your posts, you are more concerned with the PROCESS than the end result.

Life will teach you the results [usually] are the most important.

Even if they did not call, the end result was fair.
Cheap lesson. Quit whing.

when i am paying someone to do a PROCESS right, and they dont do that right, its not my fault, and i have a right to complain. All i wanted to know is an estimate on how much the tune would cost as i only had 15-20 dollars to pay, and no one in the shop exept the tech knew what that might be so i had to talk to him before he worked otherwise the money may not have been there in the end even if they did the process right and then i would be in the wrong.

My point was that you should think for yourself. Why leave the saw for a quote? If you don't like the quote then you have to go back and get it.

because they said it wouldent be a problem, and they are on the way home from school every day so it isnt an issue to pick it up.

when i am paying someone to do a PROCESS right, and they dont do that right, its not my fault, and i have a right to complain.

OK...I get it. The tune is free, but the phone call is $20. So no call, no payment.

Got it. Sorry about my confusion.

Back