Does This Sound Right?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK...I get it. The tune is free, but the phone call is $20. So no call, no payment.

Got it. Sorry about my confusion.

no the process for this situation is to 1. call customer. 2.get answer on whether it is a go or not. 3. if answer to #2 is yes, tune saw. 4.call customer to tell them saw is done

so lets see, if this process is correct, they got 2 of the four steps right, but shouldent of even done the two steps cause they never called me.

OCC --

This is NOT a Journey !
It is not a life goal or large endevour.
It is a very simple repair -- apparently done correctly.

Go back to the ROOT of your complaint, OCC.

You wanted a CALL. Right?
FOR WHAT ????????????

An estimate on a Carb-Tune ? Get a life....
We have been in business since 1955.
Don't think we have EVER made an "Estimate Call" for a Carb-Tune. Ever.
It, in most all instances it is the most minimal of work/charge.
Certainly, there is a place for calls & estimates.
But, not for a Carb-Tune!

If the shop understood to call you, it is VERY possible they understood that to mean "If there is any deeper problem or more costly repair needed than a Carb-Tune".
And they probably would have.

We have also NEVER called a customer whose equipment was in line waiting to be repaired, to "Double-Check" with them if they still wanted it done....
Stupid.

Why was this shop REALLY supposed to call you ?
And why is it REASONABLE / FAIR & EXPECTED for them to do so.

Answer = If it's more involved than a Carb-Tune. [all you wanted]

OCC, if this is one of the big hiccups of your life, count yourself super fortunate.

I think the members are wore out with this one, OCC.
Go run your saws--they must be in great tune...

Customer: “how much to rotate my tires??”

Shop: “I’m not sure… your car might need a front end alignment or shocks”

Customer: “No car is brand new only has a few thousand miles on it, I just need the tires rotated.”

Shop: “Well, the guy that rotates tires is out right now”

Customer: “ No problem I’ll just come back later when he’s in”

Shop: “No No, just go ahead and leave it and he’ll take a look at it when he gets in.”

Customer: “ Ok but make sure he calls me first with the price, kinda on a limited budget.”

Shop: “ No problem sir we’ll have him call you”

(two weeks waiting and no phone call… WTF…. Calls another shop…. Shop says “no problem sir we can get that done for you today, $20.00.”…… heads off to pick up the car.)

Customer: “I’m here to pick up my car, I dropped it off two weeks ago to have the tires rotated and nobody could give me a price, tech was supposed to call me two weeks ago with an estimate and so far no phone call.”

Shop: “Oh… sorry sir that car was ready two weeks ago, somebody should have called you. That’ll be 50.00 will that be cash, check, or charge”

Customer: “wait a minute… what ever happened to calling me first with a price???”

Shop: “yeah sorry, I guess the tech forgot to call….. will that be cash, check, or charge??”

Customer: “I said for the tech to call me with a price before any work was done….. if I had known you were gonna charge me 50 bucks I would have said no and taken my business elsewhere… I have another shop that will do it for $20.00.

Shop: “well look we already rotated the tires and you owe us $50.00”

Customer: “No, if I had known you were gonna charge me 50 bucks I never would have had the work done in the first place….. you guys said you would call me with a price before you did any work…. NOBODY CALLED… how do you figure I owe you $50.00.”

Shop: “alright look just take your :censored: car and get the :censored: out of my shop… and I don’t ever want to see your :censored: face in here again.”

Sounds a bit different when you put it like that now doesn’t it.

And I don’t see what the OPs age has to do with a damn thing, doesn’t make a difference if he’s 16 or 60 the shop owner is still in the wrong here.

All of this could have been very simple and easy with two little words “twenty bucks”.

Customer: “how much to adjust my carb”

Shop: “twenty bucks”

END OF STORY

OCC --

This is NOT a Journey !
It is not a life goal or large endevour.
It is a very simple repair -- apparently done correctly.

Go back to the ROOT of your complaint, OCC.

You wanted a CALL. Right?
FOR WHAT ????????????

An estimate on a Carb-Tune ? Get a life....
We have been in business since 1955.
Don't think we have EVER made an "Estimate Call" for a Carb-Tune. Ever.
It, in most all instances it is the most minimal of work/charge.
Certainly, there is a place for calls & estimates.
But, not for a Carb-Tune!

If the shop understood to call you, it is VERY possible they understood that to mean "If there is any deeper problem or more costly repair needed than a Carb-Tune".
And they probably would have.

We have also NEVER called a customer whose equipment was in line waiting to be repaired, to "Double-Check" with them if they still wanted it done....
Stupid.

Why was this shop REALLY supposed to call you ?
And why is it REASONABLE / FAIR & EXPECTED for them to do so.

Answer = If it's more involved than a Carb-Tune. [all you wanted]

OCC, if this is one of the big hiccups of your life, count yourself super fortunate.

I think the members are wore out with this one, OCC.
Go run your saws--they must be in great tune...

they were to call me because i had never had anything worked on and had no idea what the tune might cost, neither did anyone in the store. the call from the tech was to make sure the tech didnt think it would go over 20.00, so if he had called me saying it could cost more like 30.00 i would have said that he shouldent work on the saw because i need to get more funds, the reason for the call was to male sure that i had the money needed, if i didnt i would have picked up my saw and made some more money till i had enough, then brought it in. i am sick of getting blamed for not paying for a service i never asked for. i never told the shop to tune the saw. i told them i wanted an estamate first. it just so happened that they had me leave my saw there and they had a communication breakdown and it was tuned without talking to me. then the owner is ####ing crazy enough to say it is my fault that i left my saw there when his guy is the one who brought that idea up. ####off

this is my last post on this topic and i will be going back into lurking mode because of this failed attempt of communication with this boards members.

this is my last post on this topic and i will be going back into lurking mode because of this failed attempt of communication with this boards members.

Occ, this place has over 36,000 members...... don't let 5 of'em stick in ya craw, a thick skin will take ya far around here. ;) (just ask Red :laugh:)

Feel free to post any time, thats what this place is for. :cheers:

Our tire rotations are 19.95.:D Just did the most expensive clutch I have ever seen. 08 350Z, 11K miles, rear tires at 3/32nds. Pull the trans and the pressure plate, fiber plate, and flywheel surface's are smoked.:dizzy: He thinks it will be under warrenty but approves the $2900 job without much hassle, musta thunk this redneck was dumb.:)

Jake, take some of these comments with a grain of salt. The purpose of a forum is to agree and disagree, don't let it run you off.

Messenger.... how much do you guys charge to tune a carb?????

What brand of saw ?

How easy to access?

How FILTY is it?

Did they buy it from us?

Limiter caps or not?

AND, is it really just a Carb-Tune needed ?
Most often, not. They need more.

OCC's instance was rarer. Newish saw that came from a different area.
Most of the saws we do are, "won't start" or "no power/runs bad."

99% of the time the customers get a Full Tune-Up. This covers removing the starter & clutch covers. Power washing all [hot water]. Whole saw cleaned.
Carb-Rebuliding IS included -- many need it.
Oiler work....all filters/plug....
Chain sharpening, etc. whatever else...
Full Service = $49.95 [includes carb REBUILDING]. Not just tuning.
plus parts.

How can you tune a saw that has it's carb screwed up....?

We don't charge for every little item. I definitely do some "side-walk" surgery.
Free.
Good customer service will NEVER go out of style.

And "goodwill" does matter. A lot.

I think [hope] we've got a great reputation.
We do have posted a minimum shop charge. [$20.00]
It is most assuredly NOT always applied.

We are Franchised STIHL / Snapper / TORO / ARIENS / GRAVELY / BLUEBIRD.
I forget what else. Billy-Goat -- good stuff.
We work on all brands.

Regards.

What brand of saw ?

How easy to access?

How FILTY is it?

Did they buy it from us?

Limiter caps or not?

99% of the time the customers get a Full Tune-Up. This covers removing the starter & clutch covers. Power washing all [hot water]. Whole saw cleaned.
Carb-Rebuliding IS included -- many need it.
Oiler work....all filters/plug....
Chain sharpening, etc. whatever else...
Full Service = $49.95 [includes carb REBUILDING]. Not just tuning.
plus parts.

How can you tune a saw that has it's carb screwed up....?

We don't charge for every little item. I definitely do some "side-walk" surgery.
Free.
Good customer service will NEVER go out of style.

And "goodwill" does matter. A lot.

I think [hope] we've got a great reputation.
We do have posted a minimum shop charge. [$20.00]
It is most assuredly NOT always applied.

We are Franchised STIHL / Snapper / TORO / ARIENS / GRAVELY / BLUEBIRD.
I forget what else. Billy-Goat -- good stuff.
We work on all brands.

Regards.

I want to take my stuff to you. I live in the USA too. I don't spose yer near me..... I cannot successfully rebuild a carb, and have a few saws that could use it, and well as a case or three split and new bearings/seals etc, and some diagnosis of an 056 mag 2 binding when starting, etc. etc. etc. and so forth........

Thanks fer serving the people like you do!

What brand of saw ?

How easy to access?

How FILTY is it?

Did they buy it from us?

Limiter caps or not?

A brandy new Stihl MS181. :laugh:

I here ya there but thats a whole nuther egg alltogether, Occ didn't ask for a diagnostic he asked for a carb adjustment......... if you come in my shop and tell me to replace the spark plug, the one thing your gonna leave with is a new spark plug. Now if it turns out the plug ain't gonna get it done then you're looking at diagnostics and repairs, but your leaving with that new sparkplug... you asked for it and thats the price you pay for self diagnosis.

Now if you come in and say "hey can you check this saw out for me, it just doesn't seem to run right" then we can start with clean slate at square one and you may or may not leave with a new plug. :laugh:

Last edited:
Well, I followed it in the beginning, but just noticed that this dumbazz thread is still going. I haven't read the last 7 pages, but damn....

Let me sum it up:

Someone dropped a saw off to be fixed. The saw was then fixed and the customer was charged $20. The customer is mad because he could have wasted his time (driving 40 miles, 20 in each direction) and gas money to get the work done for free.

QWITCHERBICHIN'

It's time to grow up and join the real world. If nothing else, look at it as a convenience charge for not having to drive 40 miles out of your way.

I view it like this: you needed something done that you couldn't do yourself. To me, that classifies the work as 'skilled labor.' It's been a damn long time since I saw anyone get a bill for only $20 where 'skilled labor' is involved.

Just my $.02

And like I said, I haven't read the last 7 pages, so please forgive me if this is completely off-topic at this point.

Glad to see that at least a few more people are in the know as far as how this situation should have gone down.

I had a Craftsman 32cc blower come in today, new style, Ive never seen one quite like it..some "Incredi-pull crap"...junk.

Man says it has been working fine but says it wont spark...he says it probably just needs a plug.

I had just finished lunch and was walking around the showroom finishing my pepsi looking at the new Allis Chalmers riders we got in...so I told him id look at it for him.

I took it to the shop and first thing I did was check the compression...anyone who has ever worked on one of these crappy Ryobi powerheads knows, compression first.

Compression was good enough to run...115psi

I checked spark, and it indeed had good spark...I showed the customer it had spark.

I checked for fuel getting to the cylinder, and it was getting none at all, so we confirmed a fuel related problem.

While pulling the rope I also discovered the powerhead was loose in the housing, moving all over the place, slamming into the housing, etc...obviously it had been doing alot of vibrating, and possible intake damage was more likely with it like this.

He asked, of course, for an estimate, before he left.

I figured it like this..

30-35 minutes to tear the blower housing down, hopefully the bolts are just loose or missng, and not broken off in the case, and re-assemble if repairable.

Labor- 35 dollars.

To repair the fuel problem, knowing I have good fuel flow, and knowing I have enough parts engines with good intakes on them if the need to replace one should arise, I figured I would be rebuilding the carb as well.

I figured 35 dollars + parts, which would have been a 12 dollar kit,

Labor - 35 dollars

Parts- 12-20 dollars.

Estimate came to 80-90 dollars + tax.

The man went ballistic..said I was way out of line, refused to beleive it had anothing major wrong with it, etc...moaned and groaned, carried on and made a scene...He thanked me for "wasting his time"...

I asked him how he would like to pay for the diagnostic fee....He was like..:jawdrop:

He tells me I have alot of nerve asking for a fee when I "didnt even fix the damn thing" and "was just trying to rip him off".

He paid..in cash, and tore out the door, threw the blower from about 15 feet away into the bakc of his truck, and sped out the parking lot.

The sign that clearly states that there will be a diagnostic fee any time a tech is asked to fix or check out a peice of equipment on the spot is clearly hung on the door to the shop, above the counter, inside the shop, and above my desk...

As one guy said earlier i nthis thread...when you work on commission, Time = Money.

If you want something fixe,d or you want me to tell you what it will take to fix something..or you just want to shoot the bull....expect to be billed accordingly.

-------
You take a saw to a shop and tell them what it wrong with it...we can only assume that because you are at a repair shop, you cannot fix it yourself, and thus we can only assume you have diagnosed incorrectly...

A funny one was about 1 and a half months ago a man brings in a Stihl Trimmer, he's in a great big hurry...it wont crank, wont do anything. He says "fix it". Ill be back in an hour...

It is rare for me to do anything more than a chain sharpening "on the spot"...but he seemed liek a nice enough guy, so I put down what I was doing and...

I diagnose a dirty carb, and stiff diaphragm, so I popped the carb open, hit it all with B-12 Chemtool, installed a new metering diaphragm and metering needle, spring, and fulcrum lever. The Fuel pump skin was the plastic style, showed no damage, whixh worked out because that was one part in the kit that didnt match the Stihl spec'd carb.

I put it together, started on 2 pulls, I tuned it in and it ran like a top.

The whole thing probably took 25 minutes tops...but we have a set fee of 35 dollars for a 2 cycle carb rebuild. I made out a ticket and took it up front, trimmer, invoice, everything.

Man shows up an hour later...and flips out at the bill.He says he is a certified smal lengien technician and knows what it involved in rebuilding a carb, says "you only replace the disc, and it takes less than 5 minutes"

He says the bill should only be for 5 dollars plus parts...

I was headed up front, but my boss stopped me, he went in and absolutely laid this guy out (with words), I mean he layed into him like Ive never heard him do before.

The man paid and left...he will probably never be back, but that's okay. He's never bought anything from US (he only buys stihl). He's never used us for repairs before (he uses other shops im sure). So it's no loss to us, because it isnt worth it to keep him as a repair only customer, with that kind of attitude.

Much like OCC...why should we keep you as a customer when you b*tch about a standard charge for a repair? We dont have time to put up with your Bull, and Time = Money.

Back