does wood season in winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood cut now will dry quite a bit by spring HERE. Your reults may vary, but the stuff I cut early winter/late fall normally shows checking before spring thaw.

OLDTIMER:" When green wood freezes solid, it don't dry a hell of a lot. "

Freeze dried coffee and the sad looking steak at the bottom of my freezer says different

woodman6666: thanks, life seems to work best this way

pook: "wood is thicker than cloth & u cant hang it on a clothesline"

Now there's a thought, screw eye in the end of each piece - anyone got any idea how many yards of clothesline/cord?

You must live somewhere in my neck of the woods. Sometimes I wonder how my wood gets dry enough to burn when it seems like the humidity of the air never drops below 50%. I bring wood up under the carport a cord at a time to keep it dry but my stack of wood out in the woods takes 2 years to season white oak. Need to finish my wood shed to get a roof over all my split wood.

Pretty close, in Hampton. Up a holler. The wrong side of the holler - the sun does not hit my house at all in the winter. I can get a couple hours tops of sun on my woodstacks if it's a clear day. There are plenty of springs and the moisture just hangs in here and stays. There isn't much wind either. So.... for all of you who say you gotta do this or gotta do that to keep your wood dry....it all DEPENDS on your situation. Not everyone has 8 hours of sun and 20+mph winds comin' sweepin' cross the plains (Sing it like you're in Oak-lahoma! ) every other day to help dry out their stacks if it rains/snows on them.

I have stuff stacked in the sometimes-sun, but even it has to be brought in and stacked next to the stove for a minimum of a week or two, preferably more, to burn real well. I had some oak that had been sitting split and stacked for 7 years, then inside an open air shelter for three, brought it in and it was sizzlin' like a slab of bacon. I have some wood stored in an almost air-tight garage, just so it can be not soaked - it's never super dry, but it's never wet either.

Last edited:
If I could I would build a big outbuilding with no sides on it, just a roof. If the wood gets rained on it's just more time mother nature has to spend drying it.
The surface moisture can still rot soft maple, and keeps bugs around in the deep piles.
But that's just me dreaming:biggrinbounce2:

If I could I would build a big outbuilding with no sides on it, just a roof. If the wood gets rained on it's just more time mother nature has to spend drying it.
The surface moisture can still rot soft maple, and keeps bugs around in the deep piles.
But that's just me dreaming:biggrinbounce2:

Every woodburner has the same dream, it's usually a building about as long as a football field, greenhouse glass panes, huge fans, robots sorting, stacking and cataloguing the wood...

I scored a bunch of old tin roofing from an outbuilding teardown recently, add some junk plywood boards, maybe hump out some locust poles from the woods, some scrounged lumber cross supports.... I may just get to live the dream....

Back