Dolmar 120 Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukethered

Reaction score
I picked up a Sachs Dolmar 120 Super for $40 today. The ad said it starts on prime so i figured for the price it was worth taking a chance.

After getting it home and taking a look, I found that the cylinder is broken on the under side. This means that my $40 risk has turned into a learning opportunity.

I'm pretty new to the chainsaw world. I installed an outdoor wood boiler this past winter and have been using a husqvarna 240 as my only saw and its too small for my needs. I would like to rebuild this 120 super for an every day runner. Is this a feasible thing to do?

Attachments

• 20220430_152939.jpg
    20220430_152939.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220430_152116.jpg
    20220430_152116.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
The broken piston isn't a good thing, but if you can clean up the cylinder I'd say it's a worthwhile project. There should be plenty of guys here could offer advice and maybe even parts if you decide to pursue rebuilding it. I've included a link below to a quality aftermarket piston, if you're going to rebuild it I'd only use a Meteor or Dolmar piston. I'd also check the crank bearings because depending on where the piston chunks ended up you may need to replace them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/400626817307?hash=item5d4738191b:g:AXsAAOSwgv5ZOb5p

Ok, I'll be that guy, getting a old saw like that going to mess around with is one thing, but to do all that is needed to it to depend on to feed a wood boiler to heat the house? No way.

I had a 120 Super at one time and they can be good saws, but mine had that silly injector carb on it and I sent it down the road.

Parts for those old Sachs Dolmars are very hard to find, hard enough that doing the complete rebuild on that saw isn't worth it.

You do have over $40 worth of parts on that saw, someone is always looking for those old Dolmar parts.

If you invested the money in a wood boiler you surely have allotted some money for a dependable modern saw to feed it with.

Get something fairly new with parts availability. It don't have to be new, just newer then what you got there. Guys are always selling good used saws in the trading post here.

I appreciate your responses. I see your point about getting a more modern saw. My wood boiler project lasted about 3 years from the time I bought it until i finished the install. My brother-in-law runs a similar boiler and has been my go-to for advice. He said jist get a cheap husqvarna, its all I would need. So I picked up the 240 a couple years ago and it sat until January. Thats when I learned my mistake. So now I'm trying to avoid an argument with the wife about spending a few hundred dollars on a new saw because "what's wrong with the one you got? It should be just fine."

I also think the best way to learn about the way something works is to learn how to fix it if its broken. So I've ended up with a couple of non-working saws from the scrap pile. One is a Stihl 066 with a seized piston. I'd like to get a little more experience working on saws before i attempt to fix it.

I think based on your advice, this dolmar won't keep me from upgrading the 240 to a bigger modern saw. But it will help me learn for when I eventually tear into the 066.

Thanks again.

The 066 is probably a easier saw to work on anyway, learn on it. At least parts are available for it at the dealer and other places.

Just be careful in choosing parts, I myself would stay away from aftermarket cylinders. If your cylinder won't clean up find a good used OEM cyl or bite the bullet for a new one.

Aftermarket Meteor pistons are good to go though. I try to stay away from aftermarket parts like intake boots and fuel lines. Go OEM on those. Aftermarket gaskets and seal kits seem to be ok as are body parts like covers etc.

The 066 is a pretty big saw, I don't know what size wood you will be cutting but you may find the 066 to be a little big and tiering if your only needing a 20" bar.

A good 066 will always be sought after and bring good money so if you decide to sell it you will have plenty to get a more suitable size saw.

Or you can put it in the trading post here as is and someone will come along with a mid size saw to trade you for it.

Your small Husky should still be very useful for smaller stuff and limbing.

I picked up a Sachs Dolmar 120 Super for $40 today. The ad said it starts on prime so i figured for the price it was worth taking a chance.

After getting it home and taking a look, I found that the cylinder is broken on the under side. This means that my $40 risk has turned into a learning opportunity.

I'm pretty new to the chainsaw world. I installed an outdoor wood boiler this past winter and have been using a husqvarna 240 as my only saw and its too small for my needs. I would like to rebuild this 120 super for an every day runner. Is this a feasible thing to do?
oldpartsinasia - Hi Lukethered, I have the original DOLMAR parts needed to rebuild your 120 super - if it is still around. Location in Singapore.

DOLMAR 121 130 010 CYLINDER & PISTON
DOLMAR 121 120 001 CRANKSHAFT
DOLMAR 926 210 015 NEEDLE CAGE

Joe

Attachments

• image 120 super piston crank.jpg
    image 120 super piston crank.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back